Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property inheritance: At what point do you become its legal owner?

Options
  • 01-08-2020 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Sol says we owned property from the moment my dad died while FBD say they can't insure the property because we can only legally own it after probate is finished.

Anyone know who is right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

hkjohn wrote:
    Sol says we owned property from the moment my dad died while FBD say they can't insure the property because we can only legally own it after probate is finished.

Currently insuring a property undergoing probate, so it can be insured. Also I previously insured a house that I was in the process of purchasing (about a month before closing I think) as my solicitor advised me to at the time.

So it isn't always necessary to own the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

The Executor is the one who should be insuring and maintaining the property until probate is granted.

I believe your solicitor is wrong and you don't own anything until probate is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

The property is still owned by the estate until such time a deed of transfer of the property is signed by the executor as far as I am aware. You can't insure a property you don't own. The executor can on behalf of the estate. Your solicitor should clarify if the deed of trant has been signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

you may have beneficial ownership from the date of death without having the legal ownership. Legal title will not transfer to you until the Grant issues and the Executor and you sign the forms and lodge it with the Property Registration Authority of Ireland.

You should be able to get insurance on the property. Are you living there?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,247 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mickuhaha wrote: »
    You can't insure a property you don't own.
    Yes you can. I think the point you are trying to make is that one (usually) can't insure something you don't have an insurable interest in.

If, for example, an executor failed to insure a property, e.g. due to lack of funds, the beneficiary of the estate could insure it.

Similarly, tenants often insure buildings owned by their landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭17togo

I purchased a house last December, the sale only went through around the 20th. But I took out house insurance on it from the 1st December. Can't remember why exactly but I had to have the insurance in place for the mortgage to go through. But I didn't own the property when I took the insurance out on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

Victor wrote: »
    Yes you can. I think the point you are trying to make is that one (usually) can't insure something you don't have an insurable interest in.

If, for example, an executor failed to insure a property, e.g. due to lack of funds, the beneficiary of the estate could insure it.

Similarly, tenants often insure buildings owned by their landlord.

Your correct. The question in this situation would be when does the beneficiary have an insurable interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭3DataModem

You don't have to own it (necessarily) but you need to have an insurable interest. Normally they are the same thing, but not always.

In my two-decade old experience, the requirement is usually that you are able to take some sort of control of the property in probate (e.g. get into the house) so you can protect your interest and mitigate your risk.

So
    1. a great-aunt dies in a house 200 miles from where you live that has been left to you, it is very unlikely you'll get insurance. Whose making sure there are no leaks, fires, etc?
    2. a parent dies and leaves the house to a child already living with them, it is very likely you will get insurance.

My advice is to contact the same insurer that the departed used.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

As above, I believe the insurance company is wrong because the person who is inheriting definitely has an insurable interest in the property. In the sense that if nobody insures the place while probate is going on and it burns down, the person who was supposed to inherit the place will take the financial hit and therefore should be able to insure their interest.

Talk to a different insurer or at a minimum, the OP should pay the executor to insure the place in the name of 'the estate of Michael Murphy (deceased)'

Advertisement