Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting letters from the United States Bankrupty Court that I don't really understand

Options
  • 31-07-2020 11:02am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm not 100% sure if this is the right place to ask this, but since they are legal letters, I figured I'd try here first. If there's suggestions of a better area to ask this, I'd be grateful for the help.

I'm a sole trader, selling stuff online. I am, to be blunt, ultra small time.

Over the last few weeks, I've been getting letters from the "United States Bankruptcy Court - Southern District of New York." Said letters are usually...

"In RE: (company name I don't recognise) Debtors, Chapter 11".

A quick Google says said company were an American one that filed for Bankruptcy a few months ago. These letters appear to be telling me of court dates and filings. Specifically, today's says...

"Notice of Hearing to consider confirmation of the chapter 11 plan filed by the debtors and related voting objection deadlines".

Each letter tends to be 8 pages or so of pure text that is pure legal jargon. I think the gist is this company has gone bankrupt, and I think I've been included on the list of people they might owe money to?

The only real link between myself and them that I can see is that I bought a pair of jeans once via a wholesaler in the UK that was a brand registered to them, and I listed said Jeans on Ebay. I've never had contact with said company. I think even the wholesaler I bought off would have been someone who bought it as a clearance item from a shop. So at best we've got 4 or 5 degrees of separation.

Given said Jeans cost me €15, and sold for about €15 (they were not a good buy...), I've zero interest in trying to make any claims or any such nonsense. So I was kind of ignoring the letters as I took them as basically saying "If you're owed anything, please let us know".

But I figured it might be best to try and confirm all that, cause the letters have kept coming. This mornings one has said there's a meeting in September, how to watch the meeting online, etc.

Should I be looking to cover my ass here? Or am I ok just letting whatever this is play out, and presume they will just ignore me if they think they might owe me money and I never respond?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

On what you say I suggest you ignore this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Yeah your gist is correct. I have seen these before and also with class action suits.

It is essentially a statutory notice there have to send out to allow people make claim/view if they are owed money.

If you are not owed anything just ignore it.

Advertisement