Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you entitled to keep a copy of a warrant

• 24-07-2020 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

I am asking for a friend and curious about an incident that happened them.

Their house was raided by the Garda and they had a warrant to search for drugs. My friend asked for a copy of the warrant and was told they would have to request it from the police station. They were not allowed to photograph it.

I would have assumed that the guards had to give you a copy of the warrant.

My friend wasn't arrested and nothing was found. He is worried about going to the station. He was told he could get a copy of the warrant if he visited the station. Or he could apply to the district court for a copy of the information.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

AryaStark wrote: »
    I am asking for a friend and curious about an incident that happened them.

Their house was raided by the Garda and they had a warrant to search for drugs. My friend asked for a copy of the warrant and was told they would have to request it from the police station. They were not allowed to photograph it.

I would have assumed that the guards had to give you a copy of the warrant.

My friend wasn't arrested and nothing was found. He is worried about going to the station. He was told he could get a copy of the warrant if he visited the station. Or he could apply to the district court for a copy of the information.

Why would he be worried about going to the station? Did he see the warrant? He should have been allowed to photograph it AFAIK if there wasn't a copy, although I'd imagine there very seldomly is tbh. I would be interested to hear from someone with more experience though.

There's no mention of your friend's situation in the 2012 Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Why would he be worried about going to the station? Did he see the warrant? He should have been allowed to photograph it AFAIK if there wasn't a copy, although I'd imagine there very seldomly is tbh. I would be interested to hear from someone with more experience though.

There's no mention of your friend's situation in the 2012 Act.

Friend is a big stoner so probably paranoid! Smoker but not a dealer or grower or anything. He said the warrant said about searching under the drugs act or something like that and gave permission to search the house and the garden and any outbuildings.

I was always under the impression that you got a copy of a warrant (but only from tv!). I am curious if this is the law and the garda was right that they did not have to give a copy and he wasn't allowed to take a picture of the page.

They searched the house and then left without asking any questions. I think friend might be worried that if he goes into the station he will be questioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

AryaStark wrote: »
    Friend is a big stoner so probably paranoid! Smoker but not a dealer or grower or anything. He said the warrant said about searching under the drugs act or something like that and gave permission to search the house and the garden and any outbuildings.

I was always under the impression that you got a copy of a warrant (but only from tv!). I am curious if this is the law and the garda was right that they did not have to give a copy and he wasn't allowed to take a picture of the page.

They searched the house and then left without asking any questions. I think friend might be worried that if he goes into the station he will be questioned.

Haha fair enough. He'd be under no obligation to answer any questions. That's strange that they raided his house though? Might they have been watching him for a while? Maybe don't suggest that to him though, with him already being paro lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭talla10

The Gardaí must show the warrant to the occupants and explain the contents in ordinary language so the occupants understand. As far as I know they do not have to give a copy of the warrant but often would provide a copy for transparency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭AnnaStezia

Would a copy of the search warrant be discoverable under a FoI application ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Just go down and ask for a copy of the warrant.

The cops have nothing to fear by giving you a copy of the warrant. It was a Judge (or possibly a PC) who issued it

Advertisement