25-02-2021, 11:56   #1
jeffk

Medical card fillings

Last august I got a filling on a tooth.

About a month ago started to get pains etc, tried the doc antibiotics route and then had to go dentist.
Went to dentist and took x-ray and said decay in it and needs to come out.
As I am a haemophiliac, I must go to St James hospital for extraction, went yesterday and told remove filling, some decay and refill it all and they will not pull a healthy tooth.
Told I need to go back to place that did filling to be covered under medical card
I rang original place to be told no we will not do it under medical card as only can do it once in five years, but then online it says two and need be some form filled in as too why redoing a filling.

I am waiting on the head dentist from St James and then a call from David o Flynn-Dental Council next week.

I have been quoted from E90 to E120 for a filling, so not a small amount.

Anyone any experience or info on all this?
Thanks, in advanced!
Advertisement
25-02-2021, 12:06   #2
Dav010

The HSE impose a 5 yr bar on payment for fillings placed in the same tooth. This is very frustrating as heavily filled teeth are more prone to fracture/recurrent decay. In effect, this means that no Dentist, not just the one you attended, will get paid for a filling on that tooth until august 2025.

The phone call you should be making is to your local HSE Dental Clinic, or to the Principal HSE Dentist in your area and requesting treatment. Otherwise, unfortunately you will be charged unless the Dentists receives approval from HSE for another filling to be done. Ironically, the HSE allow as many free extractions as you like, but only two fillings per year.
Thanks from:
25-02-2021, 12:13   #3
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
The HSE impose a 5 yr bar on payment for fillings placed in the same tooth. This is very frustrating as heavily filled teeth are more prone to fracture/recurrent decay. In effect, this means that no Dentist, not just the one you attended, will get paid for a filling on that tooth until august 2025.

The phone call you should be making is to your local HSE Dental Clinic, or to the Principal HSE Dentist in your area and requesting treatment. Otherwise, unfortunately you will be charged unless the Dentists receives approval from HSE for another filling to be done. Ironically, the HSE allow as many free extractions as you like, but only two fillings per year.
Thanks

I rang my local health centre dentist department before and got told in broken English only do kids and go private

Her attitude stunk, unless I try again and see if someone more pleasant/helpful

Such messing and then the row over the PPE cost seems to have the dentists backs up
25-02-2021, 12:30   #4
Dav010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
Thanks

I rang my local health centre dentist department before and got told in broken English only do kids and go private

Her attitude stunk, unless I try again and see if someone more pleasant/helpful

Such messing and then the row over the PPE cost seems to have the dentists backs up
HSE has responsibility for all medical card holders, they sub contract that to dentists who are registered for the dental scheme. So HSE clinics treat both kids, and adults.

Yip, according to a report this week, a quarter of all dentists who provide medical card treatments terminated their contracts with the HSE in 2020.
Thanks from:
25-02-2021, 12:33   #5
jeffk

Quote:
HSE has responsibility for all medical card holders, they sub contract that to dentists who are registered for the dental scheme. So HSE clinics treat both kids, and adults.

Yip, according to a report this week, a quarter of all dentists who provide medical card treatments terminated their contracts with the HSE in 2020.
Rang my local and told kids and special needs only, so trying another one who deals with medical card issues as well

End up we all will have false teeth or heading too turkey etc and come back with mouth filled with new teeth
Advertisement
25-02-2021, 12:37   #6
Dav010

Quote:
Rang my local and told kids and special needs only, so trying another one who deals with medical card issues as well

End up we all will have false teeth or heading too turkey etc and come back with mouth filled with new teeth
You can get dentures on Med card, with approval.
Thanks from:
25-02-2021, 12:38   #7
jeffk

Quote:
You can get dentures on Med card, with approval.
A pliers and that be next
26-02-2021, 10:28   #8
Masi

Quote:

So Turkey for a mouth filled with teeth (thousands even at their lower prices), flights, accommodation and quarantine time and cost... but €90 to €120 is too much....
not to mention the bleeding issues....
26-02-2021, 10:30   #9
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masi View Post
So Turkey for a mouth filled with teeth (thousands even at their lower prices), flights, accommodation and quarantine time and cost... but €90 to €120 is too much....
not to mention the bleeding issues....
It was a joke, but like the medical card dental system

Need a filling on already filled tooth, no

But we can pull out that mostly healthy tooth no bother
Advertisement
26-02-2021, 11:02   #10
Masi

Quote:
It was a joke, but like the medical card dental system

Need a filling on already filled tooth, no

But we can pull out that mostly healthy tooth no bother
Sorry missed that, you need to work on your delivery....
26-02-2021, 11:11   #11
Dav010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masi View Post
Sorry missed that, you need to work on your delivery....
Perhaps you should work on your own.

As a Dentist, the op’s description of the HSE dental scheme is absolutely on the money, it is a joke, and were it not for the fact that it impacts people’s lives so much, you would laugh at it.

Unfortunately people have little option but to have teeth removed, and resign themselves to the gaps, or wearing dentures as a result. It is not a case that the op is choosing between a €90 filling or a trip to Turkey, it is a case that the second may be a later consideration/consequence of not being able to access remedial treatments because of a silly policy imposed by the HSE.
(2) thanks from:
26-02-2021, 11:28   #12
Dempo1

Quote:
Last august I got a filling on a tooth.

About a month ago started to get pains etc, tried the doc antibiotics route and then had to go dentist.
Went to dentist and took x-ray and said decay in it and needs to come out.
As I am a haemophiliac, I must go to St James hospital for extraction, went yesterday and told remove filling, some decay and refill it all and they will not pull a healthy tooth.
Told I need to go back to place that did filling to be covered under medical card
I rang original place to be told no we will not do it under medical card as only can do it once in five years, but then online it says two and need be some form filled in as too why redoing a filling.

I am waiting on the head dentist from St James and then a call from David o Flynn-Dental Council next week.

I have been quoted from E90 to E120 for a filling, so not a small amount.

Anyone any experience or info on all this?
Thanks, in advanced!
Sadly and bizzarely more and more Dental practices no longer doing treatment under the medical card scheme. My own was kind enough to inform me by email a few months back saying they've left the scheme due to additional costs, PPE, covid protocols etc, blaming tge HSE for lack of financial supports.

Whilst the HSE state there's plenty of dental practices still covering medical card holders, it's easier said than done finding one.
Thanks from:
26-02-2021, 11:29   #13
jeffk

I will give a side note to this, the place that did the filling said they dont accept medical cards on a Saturday
26-02-2021, 11:32   #14
Dempo1

Quote:
I will give a side note to this, the place that did the filling said they dont accept medical cards on a Saturday
They either work under the scheme or not, when my dentist worked under the scheme (no longer), my appointments were a Saturday mainly due to work commitments. Seems extraordinary a dental practice can dictate what days they work under the scheme.
Thanks from:
26-02-2021, 12:43   #15
Dav010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempo1 View Post
Sadly and bizzarely more and more Dental practices no longer doing treatment under the medical card scheme. My own was kind enough to inform me by email a few months back saying they've left the scheme due to additional costs, PPE, covid protocols etc, blaming tge HSE for lack of financial supports.

Whilst the HSE state there's plenty of dental practices still covering medical card holders, it's easier said than done finding one.
It’s not bizarre in the slightest that so many Dentists are leaving the scheme. The Government don’t want to pay for the service being provided on their behalf.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion