Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ski Hire - Beginer versus Intermediate Equipment

• 15-03-2011 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭

How do,

I'm not a particularly experienced skier but I think I now have the basics down. I still hire boots and ski's and when I am asked my level in the hire shop I always say Beginner. At what point do you need / qualify for Intermediate equipment? And what is the difference between beginner and intermediate kit - would a novice like me even notice it??!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Always ask for a grade above. The equipment will be better, and more to the point, will help you get to that level. Beginner boots, for instance, are far more about comfort when you are putting them on and walking around than providing support in the turn. Beginner skis are designed to be stable in a snowplough, not to edge when you are trying to do a parallel turn.

I reckon beginner is the first week, possibly two if you are nervous. Once you are off the green runs and onto blues and the odd red, go for intermediate. There are grades of intermediate, so you can ask for better skies once you get confident on red runs and start looking at the odd pisted black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

What seems to happen in Austria - all the boots are at the same level. They just give you the ones that fit. And the skis are of a different standard.
    Intermediate/expert skis will be sharper and waxier, as well as a different shape/quality. But whatever level you get - be sure to be honest about your skiing ability! As your bindings are set accordingly.

Jeez, I'm not going to Austria then. You be right, my sister is just back from Austria and was tortured by her boots. But that was because she was on a package which included ski hire in on particular shop where the boots were all crap. Eventually she went to the shop next door and hired a much better pair.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

A the others have said, once you've done your beginner week there really isn't any need to be in those rubbishy boots they give you to start with. Go for hiring the better quality ones, and then after another couple of trip once you are able to notice that they are different from ones you've been given before ... buy your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Nice one, thanks. I have a feeling that the boots are just whatever fits but I think the skis are different in teh shop I've been going to. Hopefully back for a few days in late April so I'll test the theory then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Ok until you are completing parallel turns stick with the beginner kit it is pretty much the same as the intermediate stuff but with probably a season's use on them.

The way skis work is expert skis are for experts they have much stiffer and have a higher torsional flex. The are not made to be snoploughed!

The big difference between beginner and intermediate may be that the beginner skis have a composite core where the intermediate skis will probably have a wood core and a slightly better range.

Rental boots tend to come in to variants the horrible standard grey one with buckles that don't adjust and the fancier rentals with adjustable bindings and a slightly narrower fit.

If you are going skiing every year check out the boot fitting guide and buy some no excuse!

All rental skis are waxed and sharpened the same way ate the end of a week on a machine the only difference is maybe the vip skis are done every week instead of every fortnight for the cheaper rentals.

FYI Bindings are set based on your Height, Weight and Boot sole length combined with your ability and age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

EileenG wrote: »
    Jeez, I'm not going to Austria then. You be right, my sister is just back from Austria and was tortured by her boots. But that was because she was on a package which included ski hire in on particular shop where the boots were all crap. Eventually she went to the shop next door and hired a much better pair.
    I moved up to intermediate skiis in order to get better quality boots as my feet can be troublesome. It is worth the extra money to get intermediate skis and boots. And get them from a good rental outfit that uses fairly new equipment.

robinph wrote: »
    A the others have said, once you've done your beginner week there really isn't any need to be in those rubbishy boots they give you to start with. Go for hiring the better quality ones, and then after another couple of trip once you are able to notice that they are different from ones you've been given before ... buy your own.
    The only problem with buying your own is that if you go for short ski trips, using only walk on bag, as i tend to do, then you will be leaving the boots at home !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Quote:
    Originally Posted by robinph
    The only problem with buying your own is that if you go for short ski trips, using only walk on bag, as i tend to do, then you will be leaving the boots at home !

Strap them to the bag no restriction as bringing them as carry on with air Lingus or Ryanair other than the normal cabbage baggage size etc

Fattes wrote: »
    Strap them to the bag no restriction as bringing them as carry on with air Lingus or Ryanair other than the normal cabbage baggage size etc
    hard to see how with ski pants, clothes etc for 4/5 days :confused:

• Advertisement

Wear the outer ski pants and jacket, just pack the thermals. That should give you a lot of room in your bag for ski stuff. Stuff your jacket pockets with gloves, goggles etc. No restriction on jacket or pocket size. As soon as you are on the plane, you can take it all off.

I've done lots of skiing where I've skied for a week out of a carry-on bag.

Wear the outer ski pants and jacket, just pack the thermals. That should give you a lot of room in your bag for ski stuff. Stuff your jacket pockets with gloves, goggles etc. No restriction on jacket or pocket size. As soon as you are on the plane, you can take it all off.

I've done lots of skiing where I've skied for a week out of a carry-on bag.
    Fair enough Eileen ! you are more determined than I am :). I do wear the jacket and sometimes stuff pockets but draw the line at wering ski pants as well.:)

anymore wrote: »
    Fair enough Eileen ! you are more determined than I am :). I do wear the jacket and sometimes stuff pockets but draw the line at wering ski pants as well.:)

Without thermals and ski socks, they are not too hot.

Without thermals and ski socks, they are not too hot.
    I am usually going Cork Munich Jenbach Mayrhoffen so that is a long day, so I am happier to compromise by renting boots and taking more ordinary clothes. To each their own, I suppose. Anyway I perspire a bit too much when travelling, so a few changes of clothing are necessary for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

Used bring my own boots and skis, but think its more hassle than its worth. Intermediate rentals are the way to go unless you're going for an extended period.
    anymore wrote: »
    I am usually going Cork Munich Jenbach Mayrhoffen so that is a long day, so I am happier to compromise by renting boots and taking more ordinary clothes.

How long a day is it? Do you travell on a package deal or DIY?

I'm interested in skiing ex-Cork next year, but there didin't seem to be many (any even??) reasonably priced packages from Cork this year.

Stugots wrote: »
    Used bring my own boots and skis, but think its more hassle than its worth. Intermediate rentals are the way to go unless you're going for an extended period.

How long a day is it? Do you travell on a package deal or DIY?

I'm interested in skiing ex-Cork next year, but there didin't seem to be many (any even??) reasonably priced packages from Cork this year.
    My first three ski trips were package but now I go diy out of cork - partly because I tend to go on short trips and out of season and also because I have gotten decent deals at busy season when I do go. Sometimes I think it would be nice to go package and have somebody else arrange transport between hotels etc but overall going diy has worked out.
    Usually I travel by Aer Lingus ex Cork on a thrs to Munich and back tuesday via Munich. As I usually go to Hintertux, I spend full day on slopes on final day and then travel by bus to Mayrhoffen to catch 5.35 train to jenbach and from there catch train to Munich at approx 7.00 arriving at Munich airport at about 9.15. I spend the night at one of adjacent hotels using thier shuttle bus service to get to and from airport.( I usually bookk using Booking.com and cost is in region of € 45 to €70 depending on hotel ) The flight to Cork is usually at around 11 or 11.30. The flight from Cork to Munich can be either early morning or at around 11.00 arriving in Munich at about 3.00 and the return tickets to mayrhoffen can be purchased in the airport hall near to the escalator for the train to Munchen Ost where you change for the main;ine train.
    You are right about the limited range of packages from Cork. As a frequent single traveller, I also found it can be difficult to get availability at busy periods. Christmas before last, i got a very good package for myself and kid at a 4 star hotel in Lanersbach for 5 days starting on Jan 1 by going diy and booking in mid dec when all packages were sold out. I have also stayed twice at a good three star hotel in Lanersbach for € 49 a night for single person.

Advertisement