Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help for Beginner/Intermediate Ski Group

Options
  • 02-10-2009 2:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hope you can help,

We're a family group of mixed beginner/near-intermediates (ages 30-60) trying to book a week in Jan and are totally stumped by the choice on offer!

We're looking for a 4-star hotel in an uncrowded resort with enough greens and straight-forward blues.

Atmosphere and short transfer times would be a bonus. Don't need hectic nightlife or cheap beer - boring, huh!?

Preference is for France but will consider elsewhere.

Would really appreciate your knowledgeable help as need to book in the next week.

Thank you!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

4* hotel in France will push up the price but I would try the below and consider a chalet?

Chatel, Flain, or anywhere on the port Du Soleil will be good

Switzerland, Sass Fee, Andermatt,

Austria, Saalbach, Iscgel, Obergurgel

Happy Holiday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Glogg

I've been a skiing all of my life and I would highly recommend Obergurgl in Austria (many of Austria's resorts can be very hectic with crazy apres ski so be aware of this if you're looking for family friendly places).

Italy is a hidden gem - just at the border with France near Mont Blanc. Pila is a quiet family friendly place and there are lots of other resorts nearby to explore if you get bored. The skiing is pretty gentle here. Cormayeaur is another nearby Italian resort which is quite upmarket but very family orientated.

For something very different, what about Norway? It's easily accessible has lots to offer - check out Hemsedale - you could hire a luxurious cabin
    http://www.hemsedal.com/ Best to go around Feb/March

France, in my opinion, is overcrowded and not as friendly as other resorts. Queuing for the lift for an hour is not my idea of fun. I guess it depends where you have in mind.

Good luck and wear a helmet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭4red

Thanks very much for the advice.

Fattes I've been to Andermatt and consider it lovely but not suitable for beginners.

I've been thinking about Austria. Glogg, what would you think of Zell am See? Don't seem to be any green runs there. Would it be suitable for my careful parent beginners?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Once new year's has passed, January is low season so resorts aren't as busy.
    The weather can be a bit harsher as well.
    The French mid-terms begin in Feb, worth avoiding.
    http://about-france.com/school-holidays.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

I would put in another vote for Zell am See, sounds like the perfect compromise between all the things you are looking for...

• Advertisement

Thanks Edmund, looks like that's where we're going to go.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Zell is great, I've recommended it here lots of times but I don't think it would be ideal for a group containing complete beginners. The slopes are very spread out with the main beginners area quite a distance from everywhere else.
    Meeting up at lunchtimes would be awkward IMO.

4 RED just remember most begineers, first week skiers especiall those over 30 rarley venture away from 3/4 Green runs in a resort so if a resort has 3 green runds it will probably suit your begineers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Im my opinion Zell Am See is too spread out and lacks in slopes. Also its at a slighty lower altitude so conditions are not always as good as some of the other great resorts in Austria, so ive heard.

I would higly recommend Saalbach if your going to Austria. Its not too far from Zell Am See. I have been there the past 2 years with family and absolutely love the place. Its well suited to beginners and intermediates and has a great town with plenty to do for all the family.
    Also they have tons of slopes and plenty of greens and blues to choose from.

There are a lot of very nice hotels around the town so you will have no problem finding a nice 4 star hotel to stay in.

Overflow do agree with Saalbach but its highest lift is a little over 2,000 meters whils ZELL highest lift is just over 3,000 and has glacier skiing available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Fattes wrote: »
    Overflow do agree with Saalbach but its highest lift is a little over 2,000 meters whils ZELL highest lift is just over 3,000 and has glacier skiing available.

Ah i see the the lift in Kaprun goes up to 3000 meters, i didnt know they were connected :D

THey are packaged as one resort by the TO and the locals. Just like mayrhofen and Hintertux.:D

Personally not a fan of zell but always a resort with great reviews and happy punters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Audi A4!!!!

Les Deux alps in France has a great range for new skiers and intermediates , also so good slopes for the advanced.

Zell and Kaprun share a liftpass but are not connected. The bus between the two takes about 25minutes. Kaprun is worth a visit but you'd probably only go there once in the week, unless of course there was no snow lower.
    Glacier skiing is quite boring, also too many drag lifts. Don't think it would be great for the beginners either.
    How about Westendorf. Same general area, short connection, great nursery slope in village, now connected to the rest of the Skiwelt and even Kitzbuhel.
    Nice village too (although lowish altitude).
    Or Obergurgl as already recommended.

Thanks again, everyone, Zell Am See it is. Loobylou, I think we'll just have to make lunchtime meeting plans and stick to them! What did it for me was the scenic nature of the town with a lake which is hopefully frozen so we can skate or snowkite over it. Will post a review once I'm back in Feb.

TBH found it really difficult when scouring the web, so many conflicting reports on resorts difficulty level. In the end I relied on, of course, boards.ie but also the skiclub.co.uk and this great book Skiing in Europe which I got here at a discount.

Hope all your skiing trips work out great!

Zell is no bad choice, you'll love it. Consider paying a little extra and get the Salzburg area skipass and take a day trip to Saalbach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Zell is good - I started there as a beginner myself. Nice little village, but I think you do have to bus it to your beginners slopes? I can't remember too much tbh! Saalbach is also great for beginners as the baby slopes are right in the village.

Advertisement