Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saalbach - 24 or 31 Jan 09 - help on accom??

Options
  • 18-08-2008 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

5 of us heading to Saalbach at the end of jan 09, but we're stuck as to which accomodation to go for!

We're looking for central (doesnt have to be in pedestrian zone) location, ski in/out would be great. Budget about €700 for the accom.

Anybody been there/done that??? Would appreciate your help.

p. is that the week of the today fm trip too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Hey im also interested in accommodation if anyone has any recommendations, we stayed in an Apartment right across from the Schatberg Xpress in a apartment block above the Spar shop, but its gone this year, just want to keep my options open incase i decide to go back there next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

Go on Imposter gives us your recommendations on place to stay in Saalbach;)

foamcutter wrote: »
    Go on Imposter gives us your recommendations on place to stay in Saalbach;)
    I've PM'd them an address of the place we stayed.
    If you're interested in an apartment for 4-6 people let me know and i'll send you the address. It's about a 10 minute walk into the town on the main road. To be honest there's loads of places within 10 mins of the town so a bit of a look online and you'll find something. Be careful though as the road between Sallbach and Hinterglemm is very long and if you are in the middle it's a lot more than a 10 min walk.

The biggest tip i'd give anyone for Saalbach is the holiday shuttle from Salzburg airport. It's about 35€ e/w but basically a group taxi door to door. If there are 4 of you though a normal taxi might work out better but I don't know - there won't be much in it anyways.

The 2nd tip and this goes for most places in Austria at least - if you are renting skis/boots/etc most shops allow you to leave them in the shop overnight. That means you can walk down to the shop in shoes (not skiboots all the way to the lifts where a 10min walk becomes an uncomfortable 15min one) and then you can also change after skiing so you can do apres ski and/or walk home in shoes too. Plus if you have your own stuff they'll usually mind them too for a very reasonable fee (about 10€ for the week is all i've ever paid).

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

Hi Imposter
    To be honest there's loads of places within 10 mins of the town so a bit of a look online and you'll find something.

The resort site saalbach.com has loads of summer & winter info, including accommodation, but some pension/apartments do seem to a bit away from the village centre (Saalbach).
    The biggest tip i'd give anyone for Saalbach is the holiday shuttle from Salzburg airport. It's about 35€ e/w but basically a group taxi door to door. If there are 4 of you though a normal taxi might work out better but I don't know - there won't be much in it anyways.

I'd second that. The first year we went the coach was delayed waiting on an incoming flight, it broke down at the drop off at Zell am see, we were then transferred to smaller individual taxi so it took nearly 3½ hours. Last year ordered shuttle taxi online, driver was waiting at the exit, loaded the gear and straight to the hotel in 1½-1¾. Did the same on the return journey. A great service when you organise your own holiday rather than through a tour company. €285 for both trips when booked together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 35190

thanks for the help so far...

Is there a part of the town that is best to stay in? That's a bit of a subjective question, but...

Anyone been to Norika or haus furstaeur???

• Registered Users Posts: 25 35190

Thanks for the updates. Got your PM Imposter.

I've seached high and low for accom - having stayed in small apts in other resorts, we were keen to upgrade - but Saalbach accom aint cheap! Looks like we'll go with apts again, but is there a particular end/section of the town that you'd recommend??

Directski have Haus Furstauer and Crystal have Norika. Anyone know about those???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

I have not heard of those two places but there is a long road between Hinterglemm and Saalbach called Glemmtaler Landesstrasse, that has alot of apartments on it, you can usually find some cheaper apartments along that road as you might be 10/15mins from either town and have to get a bus or taxi each morning.

Be careful with that road though. You don't want to be in the middle as it is a long walk and taxis ain't that cheap if you're getting them all week. Of course you can use buses to come and go from skiing but in the evening they don't run.

There was one place in Saalbach where we stayed about 4 years ago which was lets say interesting. The accomodation and all was fine but it was through the town and well up the hill - about a 5 min walk into the town. Going skiing and all was no problem but trying to drive up the road without chains or walk up it in skiboots or while a little inebriated was impossible. Going down was fairly dodgy too due to the steepness and the snow on the road.

Basically anything within 10-15 min walk to a main lift should be ok but check that it's not half way up the mountain - especially if you wanna do some Apres ski. If you don't do apres ski you might prefer this (ski in - ski out!

Advertisement