Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-07-2017, 22:13   #1
tedpan

Mod: Drones
Xiaomi Mi Drone 4k FPV Quad

I've been looking at this for a few weeks now and my birthday's coming up so my wife's ordered it for me.

http://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopters/pp_363299.html

Clip vs the Phantom 4

It seems to have excellent specs like 4k, 4km range, 3 axis, 27 minute flight times and superb video from what I've seen on Youtube.

I got it for 423 euro. Think it's not a bad deal.

Will post footage and findings once it arrives.

Thoughts?

Last edited by tedpan; 05-07-2017 at 22:45.
Advertisement
06-07-2017, 14:27   #2
jogdish

I was walking home yesterday, and saw this drone in the air ( i asked the owner he said it was the xaoimi 4k, not the 1080, so I assume this is the same one?).

He was very happy with it. Personally I was amazed at how high it was and rock steady in some light brezze - coming from a syma €40 this was very impressive to me. He was also controlling from a distance I would never dream of with a syma.

I am thinking of getting this one now! For when you get yours, some questions
  1. At height, can you confirm it is steady in the air ?
  2. Are you ever worried, crap one gust of wind and my drone is gone?
  3. Fun? Camera look good? FPV easy to use?
Good luck with your drone!
Thanks from:
06-07-2017, 14:43   #3
tedpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogdish
I was walking home yesterday, and saw this drone in the air ( i asked the owner he said it was the xaoimi 4k, not the 1080, so I assume this is the same one?).
Nice, I haven't seen one in the flesh yet. If it's the 4k it's the same model. It's currently cheaper than the 1080p model. Maybe to get some visibility amongst quad users.

Quote:
He was very happy with it. Personally I was amazed at how high it was and rock steady in some light brezze - coming from a syma €40 this was very impressive to me. He was also controlling from a distance I would never dream of with a syma.
Yeah, they seem to be excellent flyers. Just over a kilo in weight with a massive battery gives you a large range and makes it steady in the air. I had a Hubsan X501s before. This should be a nice upgrade and that almost flew itself.

Quote:
I am thinking of getting this one now! For when you get yours, some questions At height, can you confirm it is steady in the air ? Are you ever worried, crap one gust of wind and my drone is gone? Fun? Camera look good? FPV easy to use? Good luck with your drone!
I will definitely let you know how I get on once it arrives.

Although, flying the h501s, I was never worried about wind, well not huge winds due to the excellent GPS hold, which the mi drone excels in.

I'm guessing it's going to be very simple to use too. Can't wait! Take a look on YouTube of the footage, it looks amazing.

Thanks very much!
Thanks from:
23-07-2017, 17:25   #4
tedpan

So, it arrived, but I'm away at the moment. No issues with tracking or customs. Once it arrived in the UK, it arrived express delivery next day with An Post.

I will post some video when I'm back..
Thanks from:
23-07-2017, 17:27   #5
jogdish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedpan View Post
So, it arrived, but I'm away at the moment. No issues with tracking or customs. Once it arrived in the UK, it arrived express delivery next day with An Post.

I will post some video when I'm back..
May ask who you bought from? and zero customs you say? Can't wit for your review
Advertisement
23-07-2017, 18:25   #6
tedpan

Yeah, got it from gearbest, the link above. Think it's even cheaper now.

They ship in bulk from China to a UK hub, then send from there with an Irish an post tracking number. No duty. Will be back on Saturday so will more than likely have footage and review by the end of the day 😀

Forgot to say, expect two weeks for delivery.

Last edited by tedpan; 23-07-2017 at 18:31.
Thanks from:
31-07-2017, 22:14   #7
tedpan

So I've had a few short moments to fly the drone today. Have to say it's fantastic, simple to fly, gives great results and I should be creating quality footage soon.

The remote is lovely to hold, simple but does everything you need when coupled with the phone app.

Compass Calibration and the setup took about two hours of messing, updating the firmware before I could take off, but that's all done now so won't take long for future updates.

The battery takes 3-3.5 hours to fully charge.
The remote control is charged with micro USB connector (Standard Android Connector)
Excellent Build quality
The gimbal is awesome
Switched off the beginner mode to fly further. This can be done immediately which is great!
The Return to Home is fantastic, it always lands within a metre of where it took off.

You need a good Micro SD card if you want decent results. The maximum specified in the manual is 64GB. Also the included manual is in Chinese, you can download the English one from the Xiaomi site.

Surprises
No Propeller guards were included
The optional wireless dongle for transfer between for the remote and phone was included.

Here's a few clips from today. It was windy, the footage was very stable and still has 60% from a single charge. Another battery is on the way, so will be able to make longer videos.

Can't believe it cost 420euro and I think it's even cheaper now.

I've probably missed things, give me a shout if you have any questions.

My Editing software only lets me output to 1080p 30fps. The footage was recorded in 1080p 50fps & 4k 30fps.

Think I may need a new i7 laptop to manage the 4k video editing ;-)
31-07-2017, 22:18   #8
ED E

Wow, thats very very tempting. You're getting a huge value compared to DJI.

PS: Your dogs are amazing.
Thanks from:
31-07-2017, 22:28   #9
tedpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED E
Wow, thats very very tempting. You're getting a huge value compared to DJI.
Yeah, very pleased, can't recommend it enough. There are missing things that DJI quads do, but still has lots of cool features and flies flawlessly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED E
PS: Your dogs are amazing.
Lol, cheers can't live without them!
Advertisement
01-08-2017, 16:32   #10
tedpan

A short clip of day 2. Still getting used to the quad, simple to fly, Impressed!

01-08-2017, 18:32   #11
jogdish

@tedpan
Thanks for the amazing videos and reports.

In your videos the light/white balance seems off. For example the ground seems very dark, and portions of the sky very bright - I assume this is an issue with crap weather? and cloud cover?

How do you find the App to control the drone? How high would you be willing to get it?
01-08-2017, 19:05   #12
tedpan

Quote:
In your videos the light/white balance seems off. For example the ground seems very dark, and portions of the sky very bright - I assume this is an issue with crap weather? and cloud cover?
Yeah, very little sun and lots of cloud. You can alter the white balance from the remote control right slider. The left slider controls the gimbal pitch.

Quote:
How do you find the App to control the drone? How high would you be willing to get it?
It's fantastic, although more is done on using the remote. The app is straight forward and simple to use.

Make sure to watch the video on 1080p on YouTube to see the best video quality. Obviously YouTube compress the video, the raw video is better.
01-08-2017, 19:12   #13
tedpan

You can remove the 500m max although I think you can only fly 120m legally. Not sure how high I'd go but will try on a calmer day..
03-08-2017, 12:04   #14
jogdish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedpan View Post
Yeah, very little sun and lots of cloud. You can alter the white balance from the remote control right slider. The left slider controls the gimbal pitch.

It's fantastic, although more is done on using the remote. The app is straight forward and simple to use.

Make sure to watch the video on 1080p on YouTube to see the best video quality. Obviously YouTube compress the video, the raw video is better.
Just after reading around (tested.com) seems an "ND" filter is what you want on top of the lens to even out bright sky / dull ground. They were referencing a DJI drone lens, not sure, can the Xaomi take a lens filter?
03-08-2017, 13:56   #15
tedpan

Quote:
Just after reading around (tested.com) seems an "ND" filter is what you want on top of the lens to even out bright sky / dull ground. They were referencing a DJI drone lens, not sure, can the Xaomi take a lens filter?

Hmmm, had a look, the nd filters can have bad effects on the gimbal. I cant see any specifically for the mi drone either. I'll keep uploading videos to my YouTube channel, not sure the changes in the weather will make any difference.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion