Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bath Drain Help!!!

Options
  • 10-05-2019 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping the good folks of the boards plumbing forum can help me with a challenge. See attached images which kinda sum up the problem.

Bottom line, the dial at top of bath for opening/closing the drain came loose/off,and the bit at the back is now loose too. It has separated from the bit behind the bath it connects to as both overflow and to open/close the drain.

The sides/edges of the bath are tiled, as is the bathroom floor plus the walls.

The grey rubber bit in the pics goes between the bath itself and the drain behind it to seal them together. I'm afraid to reach through and put it back in place in case it falls.

The other plastic bit goes on the inside of the gap.

I can see the mechanism for opening/closing the drain in the bit behind the bath but am afraid to use a screwdriver to operate it in the meantime in case that breaks it.

It's impossible to even try put things back together as the very hole is what I'll be blocking when I put the bits back together.

Questions:
    1) Am I screwed and the only option is to break a side tile? As you can see, even if I break a tile, the side access is very limited with the sink unit behind there
    2) Do you think the chrome part of the biggest piece is likely to be removable? I tried forcing it off, but not too hard just in case.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! If I need to describe any part in better detail just say!
    IMG_20190429_200817.jpg
    IMG_20190506_102620.jpg
    IMG_20190429_200800.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

g0g wrote: »
    I'm hoping the good folks of the boards plumbing forum can help me with a challenge. See attached images which kinda sum up the problem.

Bottom line, the dial at top of bath for opening/closing the drain came loose/off,and the bit at the back is now loose too. It has separated from the bit behind the bath it connects to as both overflow and to open/close the drain.

The sides/edges of the bath are tiled, as is the bathroom floor plus the walls.

The grey rubber bit in the pics goes between the bath itself and the drain behind it to seal them together. I'm afraid to reach through and put it back in place in case it falls.

The other plastic bit goes on the inside of the gap.

I can see the mechanism for opening/closing the drain in the bit behind the bath but am afraid to use a screwdriver to operate it in the meantime in case that breaks it.

It's impossible to even try put things back together as the very hole is what I'll be blocking when I put the bits back together.

Questions:
    1) Am I screwed and the only option is to break a side tile? As you can see, even if I break a tile, the side access is very limited with the sink unit behind there
    2) Do you think the chrome part of the biggest piece is likely to be removable? I tried forcing it off, but not too hard just in case.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! If I need to describe any part in better detail just say!
    IMG_20190429_200817.jpg
    IMG_20190506_102620.jpg
    IMG_20190429_200800.jpg

I'd say you'll end up having to move the sink temporarily and removing at least one tile from the side of the bath.

Nice tiling job.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭tnegun

What's behind the wall at that end? If it's another room might be easier to make an access hatch there rather than lifting tiles. You might get luckly and never have to access under the bath again but if not you'll be ripping off a tile again and it would be a better solution in the long run.

Advertisement