Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have to be signed fit for work on last day of term?

Options
  • 08-05-2019 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

To get paid for the summer do you have to be signed fit by the last day of term? Or can Medmark sign you fit after that date and you still get paid? I know they can sign you fit during the holidays and that time does not count as sick leave, but do you still get paid. Asking for a friend, want to make sure they have the right info and are not making a mistake. Thanks for any advice. Permanent secondary school teacher.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I should follow up, this teacher has used up all of his sick days, has been very unwell for a long while unfortunately and was counting on Medmark to sign him fit in early June. Timing is terrible as he's just about right again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Best to contact the union for this one.

Best to contact the union for this one.

Thanks for that. In my niaivity I was hoping for a black or white, or a yes or no answer. I'll get him to call them. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I think Medmark can sign you fit for work any day. Has your friend already been to Medmark?
    In my school the last week of term the students do house exams 9-1. Would your friend feel up to that?
    If you have been out for a while I think it is good to come back for the last week as it is less daunting than waiting till August!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Millem wrote: »
    I think Medmark can sign you fit for work any day. Has your friend already been to Medmark?
    In my school the last week of term the students do house exams 9-1. Would your friend feel up to that?
    If you have been out for a while I think it is good to come back for the last week as it is less daunting than waiting till August!
    In our place, very little of consequence goes on on the last day. If the OP's friend has a good relationship with management, and other members of staff, could they come in on the last day, and sit in the staff room, or in their classroom, but let others cover their work, if there is anything important to do?
    Unless they have a communicable disease, I would think management are likely to be sympathetic to the plight of a permanent teacher who's facing the prospect of not being paid (or being on half pay) for the summer, unless they actually want to get rid of the teacher in question.
    Even if they do, it might be best to grit your teeth, turn up anyway, and struggle through it for one day, if at all possible.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. He has already been to Medmark last week but has a procedure he need to get done in hospital the last week in May, the Medmark guy has set the follow up meeting for the first week in June to assess whether they will sign him back fit again, he will not be in on the last day, will he get paid?

murphym7 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. He has already been to Medmark last week but has a procedure he need to get done in hospital the last week in May, the Medmark guy has set the follow up meeting for the first week in June to assess whether they will sign him back fit again, he will not be in on the last day, will he get paid?

No he can’t go back till work till Medmark sign him back fit.
    He will get paid from the date they say he is fit.
    All will be fine as long as he is in on first day back in August/September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

If he got his own doctor to certify him fit for work now then it's unlikely medmark/another doctor would challenge it.
    Is medmark the only group which can certify him fit for work?

If he got his own doctor to certify him fit for work now then it's unlikely medmark/another doctor would challenge it.
    Is medmark the only group which can certify him fit for work?

Yes you can get own doctor to certify you. I think Medmark would of suggested that though at the first meeting if they thought they would of been fit sooner?

I have been to Medmark myself and they never scheduled a return visit. I just went to GP to sign my return to work cert.
    I was returning to work maybe 2 weeks after medmark appointment.
    I think it is only if you will be missing say another 20+ days after Medmark appointment. They will want to see you again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I’m aware of a case where Medmark wouldn’t accept the teacher’s own consultant re holidays and being fit to work .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭griffzinho

Sorry bit confused. Could anyone confirm that if you are signed fit during the summer holidays (15th June for example) that you will be paid from this date onwards??

griffzinho wrote: »
    Sorry bit confused. Could anyone confirm that if you are signed fit during the summer holidays (15th June for example) that you will be paid from this date onwards??

Yes you will be paid from whatever date they put on the form. If you had appointment on Friday 14th June they could put 15th June on it but they might put Monday 17th June.

You will get paid but if you are sick again the first week in September/last week in August there could be a big issue.
    They could argue you were sick all summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,057 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

This is interesting.

So a teacher who has been off on sick leave and uses up their sick days does not get paid for their Summer holidays? Is that true for the other long holidays at Christmas/Easter/Halloween? What about public holidays?

I have a friend in the public sector that is ill. She uses up her allowed sick days very quickly each cycle and then has to fall back to illness benefit.

Advertisement