Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintenance Protection?

Options
  • 16-04-2019 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭

Myself and Ex have a 3 1/2 year old child.

I pay €600 a month in maintenance.
    I am hoping my Ex buys me out of the house in the next month or two.

She's told me today that she wants me to get "maintenance protection" in place, in the event I die or lose my job. (I have Life insurance which will pay out to my son in the event I die)

I've never heard of such a thing or where I would even got to get it.

Does anyone else have something like this in place?
    Is it a normal thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

That's an insanely high amount of maintenance for one child. Presumably she's the one withdrawing the children's allowance on top of that?
    Is it court ordered or did ye come to that agreement yourselves?

I've never come across maintenance protection either, it sounds like some type of additional insurance scheme.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I dont think there is such a thing in Ireland TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

SusieBlue wrote: »
    That's an insanely high amount of maintenance for one child. Presumably she's the one withdrawing the children's allowance on top of that?

I've never come across maintenance protection either, it sounds like some type of additional insurance scheme.

It was agreed between us, and yes it's very high. :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

grahambo wrote: »

Get it reviewed on a court order. There's no point in going to the poor house with it. She has means to claim additional tax credits and FIS to cover the gaps.

Other than that, it comes down to whatever dependants you state on wills and such. You should speak with a solicitor regarding how thatd work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You could ask her what type of product she is talking about.

There are Income Protection products that should be readily available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

grahambo wrote: »
    Tell her the cost of insurance will be coming off her maintenance and see how enthusiastic she is about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

SusieBlue wrote: »

I don’t know how you could conclude it’s too much maintenance without knowing the circumstances. If the child is in full time childcare, especially in a city, and needs to be fed and clothed on top of that, the cost of keeping the child is not small.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

jlm29 wrote: »
    I don’t know how you could conclude it’s too much maintenance without knowing the circumstances. If the child is in full time childcare, especially in a city, and needs to be fed and clothed on top of that, the cost of keeping the child is not small.

As a single dad, I'm fairly clued in and feel what he's paying is too much. Nearly half of that, is contributing towards the other halves lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

As a single dad, I'm fairly clued in and feel what he's paying is too much. Nearly half of that, is contributing towards the other halves lifestyle.

I disagree, if the child is in full time crèche in Dublin, even after the ECCE deduction you are looking at 750 or more.

I disagree, if the child is in full time crèche in Dublin, even after the ECCE deduction you are looking at 750 or more.

You don't even know what the child care arrangements are. From my own present experience, if I was receiving 600 as maintenance, I'd feel like I was robbing her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

You don't even know what the child care arrangements are. From my own present experience, if I was receiving 600 as maintenance, I'd feel like I was robbing her.

That’s my point. The people commenting that it’s too much don’t know the circumstances either. I was just making an observation, nobody should jump to conclusions. But it’s totally off topic, and not what the OP asked!

The OP even knows himself it's a lot to be paying. But sure don't take his word for it.

• Administrators Posts: 13,778 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

It is a high amount, but if the OP agreed to it and can afford it then there’s no issue. (Not saying your David Beckham, OP but I’m sure if they were to split up he’d be paying a lot more than 80 quid a week or whatever!!) It might be worth looking in to some kind of policy, OP. Or at least the terms on your life assurance policy. If you die it goes to your son. But does it go into a trust fund for him until he’s 18? That wouldn’t be of much benefit to him in the immediate term when his mother needs to pay for school, clothes, activities, food etc.

Contact a broker. There must be products out there now. It is a very common scenario now where parents are not together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I'd not entertain the request at all.

I'd also resolve the maintenance issue asap.

See. It's not about the amount you give now, It's about the expectation. Shes already saying she has high expectations from you even if you die so what's next? She decides she wants you to up it to a grand? She can and will use the 'kept in a fashion shes become accustomed to' argument.

The Irish are sh1t at divorce/separation, especially when it comes to kids. We are all 'sure itll be grand' and we, as a nation, hate using lawyers.

Do it properly. If you're separated and waiting out the pre divorce time get legally separated. This is for your own protection and the protection of your child. She will see it as a personal attack on her honour and whatnot but use this request as your chance to get it all on paper, signed and witnessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

I have sympathy for this, I pay over that amount plus due to being cut out of decisions in relation to education will have to foot half of the cost of a very expensive private school. Sadly there is little equality in the irish court system, again sadly its mostly due to dad's who are not as supportive as you.

Advertisement