Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apollo 11

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

See Johnny Ultimate's post from last night where he recommended seeing it in IMAX.

Just checked but its not in the I Max at cineworld.

Would like to see it but not in a hurry.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

AMKC wrote: »
    Just checked but its not in the I Max at cineworld.

Would like to see it but not in a hurry.

It is, see here:

https://www.cineworld.ie/films/apollo-11/ho00006469#/

but it seems the last IMAX showing is tomorrow - unless they add more next week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It is, see here:

https://www.cineworld.ie/films/apollo-11/ho00006469#/

but it seems the last IMAX showing is tomorrow - unless they add more next week.

There’s the bimonthly superhero mediocrity from Tuesday which will probably take up the screen for the next few weeks, so tomorrow could well be the last (despite a good turnout yesterday anyway). Obviously would advise people to make the 10 minute walk down to Smithfield if it’s relegated to Cineworld’s standard screens, as none of the other 16 screens are really worth a damn there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Saw it in the omniplex in Mahon Point.
    It's excellent. There was one wide shot of the Saturn just after ignition with the five engines at full throttle, that particularly with the sound system, was worth the price of entry alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Saw it today in the IFI.

This is a MUST SEE while it's still in cinemas.

Awesome (in the actual meaning of the word.)

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

One of my best trips to the cinema this year, easily. My local Cineworld didn't bother with it at all but a Vue did thankfully.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

This is on in the IMAX in Blanchardstown tomorrow evening 16/07/19 @ 20:20.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Went to see this last night in the IMAX in Blanch. The first two rows were pretty empty to be expected but, apart from that, the screen was 95% full which was GREAT to see. (I half expected some of the crowd to go "Apollo 11?" Is Tom Hans in this one?").

I had already seen this doc on the small screen and thought "Oh boy, this would look SO good on the big screen". And it did. Those 70mm shots looked as crisp as anything filmed in 8K or 16K..... or Special K. Even the regular footage looked amazing. The very first scene of the crawler moving the Saturn 5 drew a smile to my face and more than one whispered "Holy sh*T from the audience. Same with the Lunar panorama......

But enough of the visuals..... The sound.... Oh the sound! The launch was simply astounding: Whole seat vibrating. Ear-splittingly loud. Perfect!

Was great to see a proper documentary in the cinema. (As much as I like Michael Moore's earlier stuff I got frustrated with his movies as they got more and more agenda-driven. Even when I agreed with him. In my opinion documentaries should only present impartial facts). Yeah, it was great to see a straight-up documentary in the cinema, treated with respect (Not shown in a shed with 4 seats) and doing so well.

Astonishing. See it if it comes with 50 miles of you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

****e. Have I missed this in the cinema?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Still on in the IFI for another few days anyway

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭sacamano

And on in the Light House until Monday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Brilliant documentary. The first thing that hits home here is the sense of scale and history. We get some remarkable footage, and the sound of take off almost rattled the whole screening. Even before that journey, though, there's a little apprehension - a leak is found and some bolts have to be tightened. It's hard to believe the average age of those in mission control on the ground was just 27. At times breathtaking, it strikes a strong note in reminding us of what's possible - for all mankind. I liked hearing details about heart rates too and the various countdown timers, a bit nerve wrecking there.

Advertisement