Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price and Mileage

Options
  • 15-05-2019 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭

How much do you think mileage affects resale value?
    I'm toying with the idea of selling my SV 650s as I no longer use it for commuting but I'm having a hard time working out a rough value.
    Checking donedeal and prices range between 2,250 to 3,500 for similar age bikes.
    It's a 2005 and I have a load of extras on it but there's 87k km on it. I have records of all the servicing and work done on her since new (and some receipts to back up but not all).
    What do people think I could ask for or get in a sale?
    Some extras - GSXR 750 front end, GSXR 1000 rear shock, scottoiler, bellypan, hugger, rear cowl, quick action throttle, braided brake lines, iridium plugs, k&n air filter, tank grips, crash bobbins and sliders, mirror extenders, led mini indicators on rear, led sidelights, number boards, oil cooler guard and radiator guard, yoke protector, heated grips etc.
    Bike has a few scratches but is in good condition for age and mileage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Trouble with bikes like yours is finding someone with similar tastes....loads of extras but highish milage might put some people off...put a price you'd be happy with, but be prepared to go a bit less..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The modifications would be a bigger issue than the mileage, especially for insurance.

But people have an unnatural fear of big mileage on vehicles, even with full history, so will spend more for a low mileage one with no history!

The only way to find out what it's worth is to stick it up for sale at what you think its worth and see if you get any interest, then start dropping the price till you sell or decide to keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Del2005 wrote:
    The modifications would be a bigger issue than the mileage, especially for insurance.
    Really? I've never had an issue with insurance and have declared all of the modifications each time, none of them affect the power. Interesting point though, I had thought the extras would add to the value!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭listermint

87k on an SV650. That thing will do double that and not miss a beat.

indestructible

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

Simona1986 wrote:
    Really? I've never had an issue with insurance and have declared all of the modifications each time, none of them affect the power. Interesting point though, I had thought the extras would add to the value!

Think it's more the fear it'll put theirs up that hits.

There's also the confidence in the mod work, we've all heard of aftermarket clipons breaking etc; tends to limit modded bike market to those who are confident enough to inspect the work, parts etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

the gixer front end is a nice addition but the milage will put alot of people off, I picked up a 2010 sv over winter, needing a tidy, small bits new master cylinder and tyres but I will be putting her up for 2250 with 20k on her, shes NI reg so will make it a little more trouble to shift but i guess its how quickly you want to move her on, you should get 2500 for her but that milage is gonna be the problem
    could be worth advertising as a supertwin track bike, probably worth more that way, or consider breaking, front end is 5-600 all day long

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Simona1986 wrote: »

Can't remember which company but one wouldn't quote me last year for a noisy can, no modifications allowed at all.

Modifications are personal and unfortunately people might be suspicious of replacing a lot of items on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Your extras will help sell it ( never heard of mods putting someone off a bike unless they were tacky looking crap) but I wouldn't factor any of them into the value. It's a 87k mileage bike, it'll probably be the highest mileage sv on done deal, if you want to sell it rather than renew an ad every month you have to be realistic, ad for 2.5k be prepared to take less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Couple of things to think about here OP

1: The Mileage is genuine. Ya see some bikes up on DD that are 10 years old and have got under 5k kms on them. Most of them are very clean, and can get away with it. But there is no way it's genuine. My bike is 2.5 years old and has 20k kms on it and looks better. That type of bike is renowned for having a very good engine. I had a RC8R for sale a while back and some lad calling me tell me the 15k Kms it had on it was Very high.
    If the bike is clean and in good nick it'll sell for a good price regardless of the mileage (I'd rather a 87k bike that's been minded like a baby, that 30k bike that hasn't been serviced in 4 years). If it's raggy looking you'll have to drop the price.

2: SV650 is the perfect bike for a learner, the mods might make it more appealing but then again maybe not. If you have the original parts, I'd sell the mods as extra's

grahambo wrote: »

1: The Mileage is genuine. Ya see some bikes up on DD that are 10 years old and have got under 5k kms on them. Most of them are very clean, and can get away with it. But there is no way it's genuine. My bike is 2.5 years old and has 20k kms on it and looks better. That type of bike is renowned for having a very good engine. I had a RC8R for sale a while back and some lad calling me tell me the 15k Kms it had on it was Very high.
    If the bike is clean and in good nick it'll sell for a good price regardless of the mileage (I'd rather a 87k bike that's been minded like a baby, that 30k bike that hasn't been serviced in 4 years). If it's raggy looking you'll have to drop the price.

2: SV650 is the perfect bike for a learner, the mods might make it more appealing but then again maybe not. If you have the original parts, I'd sell the mods as extra's

I call BS on this...i bought a bike new in 2001...its has 4800 miles on it...its mint.....plenty more bikes sitting in lads houses like this.;)

• Advertisement

I call BS on this...i bought a bike new in 2001...its has 4800 miles on it...its mint.....plenty more bikes sitting in lads houses like this.;)

Absolutely, I've a 95 Blade with just over 28k miles, genuine.

bladespin wrote: »

But yet when we go to sell them we'll have to contend with all the "couldnt be genuine" "..must be a ringer" b0llox....:rolleyes:

But yet when we go to sell them we'll have to contend with all the "couldnt be genuine" "..must be a ringer" b0llox....:rolleyes:

Yep, doubt I'll ever sell it though, tbh it's a sunny day toy (when there's time after kids, wife, groceries etc etc) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭blade1

My Mille R is 03 and has around 10'000 miles on it.
    Like you bladespin it only gets taken out a few times each summer.
    I have it over 4 years and have done I'd say 1000 miles on it.
    The last owner had it a few years and never even rode it.
    I was on to him since he got it to sell to me which he finally did, however if I ever sell it he wants first refusal.

For me, a spin to Laragh and back is about 190km

Your mileage works out at 430km's per year.
    That's 2 and a bit spins to Laragh for the year.

I'm assuming you've another bike.
    bladespin wrote: »

This is more believable.
    About 2,000km's per year, if it only comes out at summer time.

For me, a spin to Laragh and back is about 190km

Your mileage works out at 430km's per year.
    That's 2 and a bit spins to Laragh for the year.

I'm assuming you've another bike.

This is more believable.
    About 2,000km's per year, if it only comes out at summer time.

Are you bored or something......:confused:

I have 7 bikes...some i use more than others....BELIEVE it..!!!:P

Are you bored or something......:confused:

I have 7 bikes...some i use more than others....BELIEVE it..!!!:P

Lucky f*cker!!! :D

Lucky f*cker!!! :D

You would think.....7 batteries,14 tyres..etc....:rolleyes:

You would think.....7 batteries,14 tyres..etc....:rolleyes:

6 batteries, 12 tyres... that 4800 mile 2001 bike is probably still on it's first set :P

6 batteries, 12 tyres... that 4800 mile 2001 bike is probably still on it's first set :P

Third set...for safety....3 batteries....its costing me more to keep it...like a wife....:eek::P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Third set...for safety....3 batteries....its costing me more to keep it...like a wife....:eek::P

Your not wrong there Max.
    I also change the oil on my one before taking it out every summer even though it only does a few hundred miles :o

blade1 wrote: »
    Your not wrong there Max.
    I also change the oil on my one before taking it out every summer even though it only does a few hundred miles :o
    I just dont bother putting oil in...:eek:.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Milage would not bother me one once it has a full service and work history.
    Problem with buying an older bike with extremely low mileage one owner ect,is the electrics if you start putting some deasent milage realys start to act up and need replacing, from my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

1: ..... Ya see some bikes up on DD that are 10 years old and have got under 5k kms on them. Most of them are very clean, and can get away with it. But there is no way it's genuine. s

Bit of a sweeping statement there tbh ^^^^ .

I have a 1989 RGV250K that I've had for 27 years and hasn't hit 10k yet.
    The SO's BeeEmm has 9k in 11 years and her SV before that 3k in about 4 years.
    I sold my 1987 Vespa last year with 9k miles on it - exactly as it was when it left Italy.

I have under 2k on my '18 AT DCT. And will probably sell that before it hits 5k.

This country is full of low-mileage genuine bikes that rarely see road, and rarely get advertised. And when they do come up, they can be a good buy.

Condition before everything. I don't buy - or sell - based on the number plate.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

There's a lot of people on this forum that need to get out and ride more!

Advertisement