Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brilliant white on stairs and woodwork

• 20-05-2019 2:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking at redecorating my hallway and yet to decide a colour for walls but would like to do the woodwork and halls in brilliant white. (currently an off-white cream colour as are the walls). I got my living room redecorated with grey walls and brilliant white woodwork and I love it so would like now the woodwork throughout the house to be brilliant white now.

My question is what is a good paint for the job. I got a Crown waterbased one used in the living room. I am told oil based will discolour over time so waterbased is the way to go but also it is not as hard wearing. This concerns me on a location such as the hallway. Is there any recommended product for the job? Is there any pros cons on is waterbased hard to wipe down and keep clean?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I used colourtrend satin wood on the woodwork in my hall last year. It’s water based and wearing well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Payton

Plus 1 for the Satinwood for the woodwork. I painted my banisters and door frames/skirting in Satinwood as the doors are solid oak and it looks well, I'll post a couple of photos when I get home later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Thanks I must take a look at the old tin which was used in my living room think it may be satin wood but it's Dulux or Crown. I know Coloutrend is supposed to be good stuff would it be harder wearing? How do yous find it for keeping clean? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Payton

I used Dulux Satinwood. The architrave around the doors were prepainted with an undercover before they were cut and installed, so I put 2 coats of Satinwood on and a light sand inbetween coats.

Cheers. That looks good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Just be aware the brilliant white water based drag like f*** when applied with a brush. I would apply 2 coats of an brilliant white oil based adhesion primer first, give them a quick rub down to key and apply 2 wb topcoats

dok_golf wrote: »
    Just be aware the brilliant white water based drag like f*** when applied with a brush. I would apply 2 coats of an brilliant white oil based adhesion primer first, give them a quick rub down to key and apply 2 wb topcoats

If it was painted previously with what I think was an oil based paint is there a need to prime?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

IMO yes, particularly in a high traffic area which is likely to get bumped and bashed. It beds the paints better.

I had painted a couple of high traffic doors in Satinwood last year and am going to redo them in gloss as I feel that the paint is not as easy cleaned (the room has a coal stove).

Is gloss paint easier cleaned and kept? I assume it is not water based? Is there issues then with discolouration over time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

I feel the gloss is easier cleaned but dents tend to show more due to the dint in the gloss.

White oil gloss will yellow over time.

• Advertisement

henke wrote: »
    If it was painted previously with what I think was an oil based paint is there a need to prime?
    Yes, either that or a really good sanding to provide a key. I would use Bloxx It, light sand and top coat with wb gloss or satin ( I haven't been asked to gloss anything in 3 years. )

Is gloss paint easier cleaned and kept? I assume it is not water based? Is there issues then with discolouration over time?

Oil based will yellow, no if's or but's.

Thanks. Seems Satinwood wb is the way to go if you want it to stay white. Is it actually that difficult to keep clean though? Any difference in the brand's eg is a more expensive such as Coloutrend going to be harder wearing? Just thinking if I'm going to do it then do it right.

Thanks. Seems Satinwood wb is the way to go if you want it to stay white. Is it actually that difficult to keep clean though? Any difference in the brand's eg is a more expensive such as Coloutrend going to be harder wearing? Just thinking if I'm going to do it then do it right.

I think I used Johnstone’s in a couple of rooms, and it definitely hasn’t worn as well as the colourtrend, but TBH, I would say it could be done to the painter I had too. I wouldn’t say he was the best on prep work, based on a few things I noticed afterwards!

Johnstones is one of the worst paints on the market. Fleetwood probably do the best main brand primers/undercoats and topcoats in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

RAL 9003 is a good shade of white, not as sharp as brilliant white. Johnson's paint is not great for coverage or wear, it's not cheap in the long term.

RAL 9003 is a good shade of white, not as sharp as brilliant white. Johnson's paint is not great for coverage or wear, it's not cheap in the long term.

It’s not even cheap in the short term. I got it mixed in the johnsons trade place last year, it wasn’t what I would consider cheap (I think they had to give me two smaller pots because they didn’t have the size i wanted), it wasn’t much cheaper than colourtrend at all (plus the colour was awful when it went on, so I ended up giving it away

I assume that can also be got in a water based satinwood from Coloutrend/Dulux etc. I will avoid Johnstone's based on feedback here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I assume that can also be got in a water based satinwood from Coloutrend/Dulux etc. I will avoid Johnstone's based on feedback here.

Yes, any of the paint shops will mix it for you, I have it it in water based, Fleetwood Advanced Satinwood, and I'm happy with it, I've gone through a good few tins of it over the past few years, anything I make that has to be painted white gets coated with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Dulux oil based high gloss

Lovely paint to work with

Actually smells like a house has been painted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Fizah1410

Woodwork is best while renovating homes. It adds beauty and elegance.

Advertisement