Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hole in one?

Options
  • 02-04-2019 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

When is a hole in one not a hole in one?

Was playing at Doonbeg recently and was warming up in the practice area. There are a few mini greens on the driving range and I measured the flag on one of them at 150yds. Hit a few 7 irons, caught one of them perfectly and lo and behold didn't the ball bounce and roll into the hole :)

Does it count? Even a little bit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

No.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

No.
    Spoilsport

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

davegilly wrote:
    Was playing at Doonbeg recently and was warming up in the practice area. There are a few mini greens on the driving range and I measured the flag on one of them at 150yds. Hit a few 7 irons, caught one of them perfectly and lo and behold didn't the ball bounce and roll into the hole

davegilly wrote:

davegilly wrote:

Yes, just omit the driving range part and practice shots when telling the story and throw in an albatross into the round as well to make it believable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Swing by Doonbeg and tee if they captured it on their security cameras. You can putt it up here as proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

davegilly wrote: »
    Spoilsport

Sometimes the truth hurts Dave.

Look on the bright side, you didn't have to call a drink for everyone in the clubhouse afterwards.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

davegilly wrote: »

Was playing at Doonbeg recently and was warming up in the practice area. There are a few mini greens on the driving range and I measured the flag on one of them at 150yds. Hit a few 7 irons, caught one of them perfectly and lo and behold didn't the ball bounce and roll into the hole :)

Does it go down as a 1 on your scorecard?
    Yes = Hole in One
    No = Not a hole in one

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

slave1 wrote: »
    Yes = Hole in One
    No = Not a hole in one

I think I would claim a reload myself.

PARlance wrote: »
    I think I would claim a reload myself.

Ha ha, birdie with your second ball off the tee still goes down as a bogey on the card, eagle with second ball still goes down as a par.

Hold that reload for your initial tee shot bud.

Knowing my luck I'm more likely to get a hole in one when I'm out on my own, can you imagine the anti-climax :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

slave1 wrote: »
    Yes = Hole in One
    No = Not a hole in one

If I ever have one when out for a casual round, it's going on my cv.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

I actually got my first ever hole in one on Saturday in a competition, still absolutely buzzing from it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Hoboo wrote: »
    If I ever have one when out for a casual round, it's going on my cv.
    I've had one of those. Just practising, hit a few balls off the tee box with different clubs to try out different types of strokes. One of them went in the hole. About 150 yards. Doesn't feel like the real thing. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I've had one of those. Just practising, hit a few balls off the tee box with different clubs to try out different types of strokes. One of them went in the hole. About 150 yards. Doesn't feel like the real thing. :(

Ah no, I wouldn't count that. I'm talking one ball, during 18 holes (friendly fiver). Not multiple balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

It only counts if there was someone else there to see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Rikand wrote: »
    It only counts if there was someone else there to see it!

I had one a few years back playing a few extra holes on a Sunday evening after my pal had gone home. Nobody was there to witness and I even said it in the club house after, but no reaction.

I also lipped out for an eagle on the par 4 18th at Mt Juliet which was witnessed by a 4 ball!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

First Ace for 84 year old Roger
    MAY 15, 2019 / NIALL@CORKGOLFNEWS.COM
    Congratulations go to Lee Valley member Roger McSweeeny who had his first hole in one recently. Roger was in Killarney with the Munster Seniors and aced the first hole in Mahony’s Point. Roger is 84 and has been playing golf for over 60 years, having first picked up a set of clubs in 1958. In spite of his age, Roger is a still a regular in Lee Valley, teeing it up most Saturday mornings in the weekly members competitions. Killarney presented him with a special certificate to mark the occasion.

Nice, think they should have said it’s a par 4 he aced!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

soundsham wrote: »
    First Ace for 84 year old Roger
    MAY 15, 2019 / NIALL@CORKGOLFNEWS.COM
    Congratulations go to Lee Valley member Roger McSweeeny who had his first hole in one recently. Roger was in Killarney with the Munster Seniors and aced the first hole in Mahony’s Point. Roger is 84 and has been playing golf for over 60 years, having first picked up a set of clubs in 1958. In spite of his age, Roger is a still a regular in Lee Valley, teeing it up most Saturday mornings in the weekly members competitions. Killarney presented him with a special certificate to mark the occasion.

How far forward were the tees? Because for an 84 year old to drive the green there is impressive, never mind holing out. It must be 300 yards even from the society tees

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭paulos53

It was the par 3 4th hole that he aced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

paulos53 wrote: »
    It was the par 3 4th hole that he aced

That makes more sense alright

Advertisement