Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hydrengia looking tall but skinny

Options
  • 19-05-2019 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a couple of Hydrangea potted plants. They look a bit tall and skinny. In other words, they only seem to have leaves and flowers at the top (see pic)

Maybe I should have trimmed them before?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yep, I think so. I'd have considered repotting them, too. But not now, I don't think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'd cut them back hard, even now, and repot next year in early spring, using a good acidic compost. There'll be no flowers for a year or two but the plants will be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭mikelata

Thanks!

I thought that hydrangeas are pruned when the blooms begin to fade?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭macraignil

mikelata wrote: »
    Thanks!

I thought that hydrangeas are pruned when the blooms begin to fade?

Had not thought that was the right time to prune them myself but on looking for some information to explain how it should be done it seems to depend on what type of hydrangea you are dealing with. This page seems to provide some advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭mikelata

macraignil wrote: »
    Had not thought that was the right time to prune them myself but on looking for some information to explain how it should be done it seems to depend on what type of hydrangea you are dealing with. This page seems to provide some advice.

Thanks. It seems I have mophead hydrangeas

I will wait until they have followed and prune before the summer ends

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I think spring is the best time to prune mopheads to the nearest shoots. And cut any dead wood or crossing right to the base to encourage new growth for future flowers.

Advertisement