Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social stories template

Options
  • 10-01-2019 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi all, can anyone point me in the right direction where I could get a template to make a social story about going into Respite ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 siobhanorourke

Carol Gray is the go to person for social story ideas.
    As a professional Behaviour TherapistI write social stories frequently.I prefer to start from scratch with each social story. I do use a specific method though.
    I take about ten sheets of A4 paper and fold it in half creating a booklet.
    I write roughly one or two lines on every second page with an illustration on the opposite page.
    I have a very clear idea of the core message eg being gentle or saying sorry or feeling safe at parties.
    I keep the story simple with only one message in each story.
    If you need two or three separate stories or booklets to get a slightly more complex idea across then break the idea down into steps and use more booklets and introduce them one at a time over a few weeks.
    Have a moral but avoid moralising.
    Never let a child feel judged within a social story.
    Some children like to get involved in writing stories and this can be a great form of self expression and give you insight into their world. One child I worked with used to tell me what to draw and this really helped her to feel heard and to process her anxieties.

Hope this helps..
    . Get back to me if you have any questions and I will answer them if I can.

Advertisement