Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rte news revamp 2018

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moved to Broadcasting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

I certainly doubt it’s for news now It was only in December it was reported news now might close https://m.independent.ie/business/media/rte-to-axe-tv-news-channel-as-services-hit-by-financial-woes-36393796.html

I’d imagine it’s a sports desk or a different desk for the news headline bulletins and use the main desk for 1,6 and 9 o clock news. Either way it’s some money to be investing. I think they should develop the news now channel. There’s loads that could be done. Have traffic info maybe webcams etc on a portion of the screen Beats the same info rotating every 3/4 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It would be better spend on improving News Now or improving their foreign team, or putting news back on RTÉ2.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Ireland trains

On the studio revamp tender design is the pink on the right a platform to stand on beside the curved video wall.
    Any update on the revamp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Apogee

There appears to be a temporary set in operation at the moment for News and The Week in Politics. The background digital screen has been replaced with a static, printed background.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Apogee wrote: »
    There appears to be a temporary set in operation at the moment for News and The Week in Politics. The background digital screen has been replaced with a static, printed background.

Perhaps this is the full extent of the revamp in the RTÉ News studio? - In the event that it is, I'm not sure it was worth the money. It looks like some change in background screen & desk design - not sure how other viewers would regard it but it does not impress me a whole lot as it's not enough of a change if it cost a lot of money to roll it out. Just my opinion anyway.

Perhaps this is the full extent of the revamp in the RTÉ News studio? - In the event that it is, I'm not sure it was worth the money. It looks like some change in background screen & desk design - not sure how other viewers would regard it but it does not impress me a whole lot as it's not enough of a change if it cost a lot of money to roll it out. Just my opinion anyway.

Will be interesting to see, that set was supposed to be flexible but RTÉ seemed to have no idea how to manipulate it when it last changed.

Also Kellen Shandley (sp?) mentioned the set change in an Irish interview recently you should see it early next month.

Expect no change to News Now until it closesdown in 2020!

Bring back TWIP’s old look.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A new desk for Champ Kind, Sports and a podium for Brick Tamland, Weather.

Elmo wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see, that set was supposed to be flexible but RTÉ seemed to have no idea how to manipulate it when it last changed.

Also Kellen Shandley (sp?) mentioned the set change in an Irish interview recently you should see it early next month.

Ah ok, so maybe this is still in transition.
    (Keelin Shanley who now usually co-presents Six-One News. I recall her time as a reporter on RTÉ's current affairs programme "Primetime".)

I wonder why viewers get to see it morph into a temporary set design rather than keep it under wraps until it is fully revamped for live public broadcasts?

I knew RTÉ News Now was facing the prospect of closure, I was not ware that a final decision had been made or that it will cease in 2020! The service had no funds as they were not permitted to earn any commercial advertising revenue along with some of the other RTÉ digital services. There has been talk of an "RTÉ 2+1" time-shift service that would replace RTÉ News Now although; one wonders does it make commercial sense anymore to launch time-shift versions given the whole way Catch-Up TV services operate these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

It would be better spend on improving News Now or improving their foreign team, or putting news back on RTÉ2.

I want to see better quality news. Complete lack of originality with the same plot lines rehashed over and over. Change a few names, locations and dust it off and reuse seems to be the motto.

• Advertisement

Is the RTÉ 9 O'Clock news on RTÉ One the last LIVE news programme on RTÉ Television nowadays?
    If so, there should be a LIVE news update on RTÉ TV scheduled (at least Mon - Fri) as wrapping up at 9:28pm seems inadequate from the national broadcaster unless current affairs programme "Primetime" is coming on and running with an ongoing developing story from an Irish perspective.
    Over the years you would have had RTE2 "Newsnight" initially to be replaced later by "Network News" on Network 2 and this eventually became "News on 2" while you also had a Late News summary on RTÉ One at around 11:40pm for many years.
    Then when RTÉ 2 dropped it's late night news altogether and RTÉ One dropped it's "Late News" summary, it fell to "RTÉ News Now" channel to broadcast live 11:00pm news bulletin but I gather this was also axed but this was probably because unlike other news programmes it was not simulcast on RTÉ One tv and probably had very low audience figures as the RTÉ News Now channel never became must watch tv.
    Now you just have "Late News Extra" on Friday nights only which is bizarre when all the other nights have no late news broadcast on RTÉ TV!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Do you have a source that 2020 has been confirmed as the close date? Last I read was RTE had to apply for ministerial approval. Not doubting you, just curious to read it

Maz2016 wrote: »
    Do you have a source that 2020 has been confirmed as the close date? Last I read was RTE had to apply for ministerial approval. Not doubting you, just curious to read it

That’s about the time they’ll get ministerial approval ;)

We might be careful not to present speculation as fact, please

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

It's official that it is early in the new year. But we don't know the date yet.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/keelin-excited-as-rt-news-shows-to-get-a-makeover-early-in-new-year-37660045.html

Late January

icdg wrote: »
    We might be careful not to present speculation as fact, please

Not speculation just pessimism :)

Hope RTE dont just copy BBC news

Damien Tiernan is leaving RTÉ News. After 23 years; he is to bow out from his role as South East Correspondent.

https://twitter.com/damienrte/status/1080086465672040448

Damien Tiernan is leaving RTÉ News. After 23 years; he is to bow out from his role as South East Correspondent.

https://twitter.com/damienrte/status/1080086465672040448

That's a shame. Damien was a fine reporter and I believe he succeeded Michael Ryan as South East correspondent. Michael later went on to become the face of Nationwide which is now presented by both Mary Kennedy & Anne Cassin. Damien will be missed on screen.

• Advertisement

That's a shame. Damien was a fine reporter and I believe he succeeded Michael Ryan as South East correspondent. Michael later went on to become the face of Nationwide which is now presented by both Mary Kennedy & Anne Cassin. Damien will be missed on screen.

He took up the Redundancy offer by RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I see on etenders they are going to link up all the radio offices with video links back to Dublin.

I see alot of this on BBC where they do interviews of the local politician in the local BBC radio station. Could this help with filling time on a more live news.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭stephend2000

afatbollix wrote: »
    I see on etenders they are going to link up all the radio offices with video links back to Dublin.

I see alot of this on BBC where they do interviews of the local politician in the local BBC radio station. Could this help with filling time on a more live news.
    Can confirm they my local radio office has been hooked up! They got some old video equipment from the oireachtas channel I heard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭squarecircles

please RTE take a leaf out our mainland european neighbours.

The new set should debut tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,109 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

please RTE take a leaf out our mainland european neighbours.

Did a quick flick through all them, amazing just how similar the music and sets are on a lot of them.

My favourite was the Romanian Antena 1 at 13:50 mark.
    ;)
    Never thought anyone would beat our Sharon, but we have a winner!

The new look will be relaunched on the 6.1 news from tomorrow. The pictures of the new set will be embargoed until 2pm tomorrow.

And here’s the press release. The set looks nice, the titles are your traditional globe stuff but look well.

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0128/1026029-rte-news-studio/
    The logo is the same. The music has been rearranged but is the same tune.

• Advertisement

looks clean,spacious,bright and sharp,loving it

Advertisement