Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ski Season 2019/2020

• 25-03-2019 2:43pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A place to keep us sane till till we get back to the snow!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

I start thinking about next season as soon as I’m home from my last trip.
    Only 262 days to go to my next trip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

I've a week booked already for next season in Serre Chevelier. It might be my only week as I've a trip to NZ planned over Xmas/New Year so that will take up most of my holidays next winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Book Saalbach for a week from 28th for NYE... and looking to do another week end of February... possibly St Anton sanitize_url('

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

DoraDelite wrote: »
    I've a week booked already for next season in Serre Chevelier.

My first ski trip ever was there for NYE Ive always meant to head back but haven't managed to so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

Lads lads there's life in this year yet, jesus its not even April you junkies!

Edit: Very decent snow fall predicted for next midweek, will try to get out just to spite ye

• Advertisement

a148pro wrote: »

Edit: Very decent snow fall predicted for next midweek, will try to get out just to spite ye

If I’d the finances, holidays and the pass from home I’d be all over a few days next week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Hi Folks,

Hoping its ok to post this here - Just hoping to gain from all of your collective experience and knowledge.

Just recently had an idea to bring my kids (Boy and Girl 12 & 14) Skiing this season.

I have absolutely no clue as to destination Country, resort, best duration (Is 5-7 days a good guideline?) etc.

I'm not lazy as to doing my own research I promise! But thought it best to seek advice on here and then seeing if its a good fit for us or whatever.

Just hoping it will be a nice little break and memorable for the kids.

I suppose things like advice on ski schools & perhaps recommendations on a resort or town with things for the kids to do or go visit in the evening for a few hours is what I'm wondering about.

Thanks for the help folks, much appreciated.

PS Oh - And I should mention - The budget isn't massive - This is something we'd price and then save for!! - If it was good value for money too then that's a welcome bonus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Russman

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Hoping its ok to post this here - Just hoping to gain from all of your collective experience and knowledge.

Just recently had an idea to bring my kids (Boy and Girl 12 & 14) Skiing this season.

I have absolutely no clue as to destination Country, resort, best duration (Is 5-7 days a good guideline?) etc.

I'm not lazy as to doing my own research I promise! But thought it best to seek advice on here and then seeing if its a good fit for us or whatever.

I suppose things like advice on ski schools & perhaps recommendations on a resort or town with things for the kids to do or go visit in the evening for a few hours is what I'm wondering about.

PS Oh - And I should mention - The budget isn't massive - This is something we'd price and then save for!! - If it was good value for money too then that's a welcome bonus!

I'm far, far from an expert, but I'm just back a few weeks ago from Niederau in Austria. Its a small resort but I reckon excellent for beginners. It seemed to me to be to be very much orientated toward "family" holidays. I was there during Dutch half term so there was lots (and lots !) of kids around. The nursery slopes are right by the village and you could see instructors with their classes of 8-10 kids all over the place. The ski school seems to have a good reputation, certainly the instructor I had was great, it was his 33rd season in that resort !
    In terms of price, its pretty cheap and cheerful, there are plenty of more expensive/exclusive resorts, but it suited me, as a second time skier, perfectly. Stayed in the Hotel Sonnschein. From my understanding the only drawback is that it might be considered a little low and in a bad snow year potentially the slopes might suffer. That said, there was heaps of snow there this year. I booked it at 2 weeks notice through Crystal Ski as opposed to doing it DIY.
    Hope that helps.

Theres a thread I posted asking for advice on bringing kids DIY shortbreak where a few people posted their experience which would also be helpful

Pretty sick at mo - flights cheap enough this weekend and it is bucketing down with snow (1 meter plus), but I can't convince anyone to go and, to be honest, I'm not long back and not really in the mood for going this weekend, have family **** on. If I was hungrier I'd just go alone. Still sick though even though I know staying is the right call!!

Theres a thread I posted asking for advice on bringing kids DIY shortbreak where a few people posted their experience which would also be helpful

This one:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057939953

You should def do it here is my 2 who are 4 and 5

• Advertisement

Rew wrote: »
    This one:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057939953

You should def do it here is my 2 who are 4 and 5

Better than me already - great vid was that edited by the software automatically?

P s by wanting to go this weekend it was emphatically sans kids - no kids on a powder day!

Still hoping to get a few days in next two weeks. Warm, smooth quiet slopes, good eating and wellness, how bad?

Better than me already - great vid was that edited by the software automatically?

Yeah I picked the clips using the gopro app, added a few highlight tags then hit create and it spat that out

They have no fear and were pretty tough considering...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭manshay

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

We (2 adults and 3 children, 14,12,9 yrs) went to Arinsal, Andorra for our first skiing trip this February half term. We went for 7 nights in Andorra and stayed 1 night in Barcelona on the way out. Arinsal is very English language friendly(okay there are loads of British there!) Eating out is cheap, €80 for 2+3 including a few drinks for adults and children. Flights to Barcelona are relatively reasonable as there are 3 airlines competing.
    Accomodation can be found cheaply. Snow should not be a problem and there are plenty of learner slopes.

Just booked for Easter week. Its never over. :):):)

Where you off to?

Snow forecasts are looking decent in some places!

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Where you off to?

Snow forecasts are looking decent in some places!

Probably solden. The guts of meter last week, I see there's still more in the forecast, but to be honest that high you're probably as well off with sun. I'm just banking on a few days of hard to middling piste skiing, with some nice food wine and wellness. No expectations apart from:-

A - not having to work and
    B - not having my kids crawling all over me

Anything else is a plus

I may have said this before but....

God I fcuking love skiing...

Enjoy! if I didn't have other plans I'd be considering another few days over Easter as well.

Seems a good year to do it, in austria anyway

• Advertisement

Probably solden. The guts of meter last week, I see there's still more in the forecast, but to be honest that high you're probably as well off with sun. I'm just banking on a few days of hard to middling piste skiing, with some nice food wine and wellness. No expectations apart from:-

A - not having to work and
    B - not having my kids crawling all over me

Anything else is a plus

How do you get away so much with young kids? Not a bit jealous

Only short trips to be fair 3 days, 3 days and 2 days. Also I'm unbearable if I DON'T go. Hope to bring them on next one as it happens.

Only short trips to be fair 3 days, 3 days and 2 days. Also I'm unbearable if I DON'T go. Hope to bring them on next one as it happens.

Ha ha, I’m similar tbh. I do two four day trips but went December and January this season and it’s an awful long wait till December again.

Do you go on your own?

maddness wrote: »
    Do you go on your own?

Haven't done yet, came very close last weekend when conditions looked great and couldn't find anyone. Last trip I was on I skied just 15 minutes with others over the two days and loved it, but I had company over dinner the one night I was in resort and that made a big difference. Its the evenings I think you'd miss someone? Transfer in can also be boring but if you put on music or podcast is ok. Transfer out I'm usually high as a kite after the days skiing!

If I'm stuck next year i'll post here and snowheads and see if anyone interested, I get the impression there's a decent market of people who skied in their 20s but find it harder to convince their mates to go now due to family and work commitments. I've skied with total strangers before on group holidays and really enjoyed it.

"Wie heiBt die Mutter vom Nicki Lauder?"

Looks like a lot of snow this coming weekend, lifts still turning in a few places. Would definitely be headed out but would be kind of taking the piss a bit, might be living alone when I came back. Anyone lucky enough to still be in the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Looks like a lot of snow this coming weekend, lifts still turning in a few places. Would definitely be headed out but would be kind of taking the piss a bit, might be living alone when I came back. Anyone lucky enough to still be in the game?

I only had one trip this year, in January. Next January seems, so, so far away :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Russman

Hey all,
    I’m just looking for some suggestions for a modest step up in resort for next year. I was in Niederau this year and really enjoyed it but for next year I’m thinking maybe somewhere like Ski Welt, Zell Am See etc might be a good idea ? It’ll be my 3rd ski trip (with lessons) and I’ll likely have two first timers with me too. Kinda want to stay with Austria but would look at Italy too. 3rd or 4th week in January is when we’re looking at.

Apologies if this should have its own thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Hiddden

I want to go skiing for a few more days before it all melts this year! I'm thinking of the May bank holiday and seems like I can get decent tickets to Geneva. Which resort is the best to go for early May? Somewhere that would be easily accessible from the airport.

Chamonix I think is probably your best bet - but make sure its still open - I think it closes after the bank holiday weekend but may also close for a few days beforehand as well. Within the valley only gran montets (Argentiere) and aiguille du midi will be open, you need a guide for the latter, the best skiing in the valley is in the former.

Very good conditions there at the moment it has snowed to quite low on successive days.

Chamonix one hour from Geneva and there should be regular and cheap transfers

Val Thorens probably still open, about 3 hour drive.

If you look at wepowder on their last report it lists the resorts that were then still open, but most are a long way from Geneva:

https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/267877

Hintertux in Austria is probably very good still, and is about two and a half hours from munich which has multiple flights per day. I was in Solden (3 hours) last week and conditions were good up high but I think its about to close. Nearby Pitztal glacier and Stubai glacier probably still open. I think Kaprun, which is about two and a half hours from Munich also still open.

Cervinia and Zermatt also probably still spinning their lifts for a bit. All of these resorts will have gotten fresh snow in the last week.

cormee wrote: »
    Next January seems, so, so far away :(

But is that because you have a timer counting down to it on the home screen of your smart phone???:pac::pac::pac:

More snow this weekend!

Russman wrote: »
    Hey all,
    I’m just looking for some suggestions for a modest step up in resort for next year. I was in Niederau this year and really enjoyed it but for next year I’m thinking maybe somewhere like Ski Welt, Zell Am See etc might be a good idea ? It’ll be my 3rd ski trip (with lessons) and I’ll likely have two first timers with me too. Kinda want to stay with Austria but would look at Italy too. 3rd or 4th week in January is when we’re looking at.

Apologies if this should have its own thread.

Maybe start a thread, but most people's minds elsewhere at this time of year

I'm not good on recommending resort for beginner - I think other people's experiences are more reliable. I was in Zell am See this year for two days and the resort is kind of wrapped around a mountain, in my mind the best resort for beginners has a bunch of gentle blues down an obvious straight slope? Saalbach is just around the corner and I got the impression it might be good for beginners.

But go on other people's recommendations. I find welove2ski.com a good website for resort reviews and they usually include a bit about how good a place is for beginners. They also probably have an old article with a bunch of resorts suggested for beginners and mover uppers.

More snow to quite low this weekend. Dolomites have had some of their best snowfall of the season, long after the lifts have closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 plalor

Hi, I'm looking at Mayrhofen Feb Mid Term 2020 for 4 nights, which unfortunately I think is the same time as Austrian Mid Term. I've checked booking com for accommodation and there's very little available.
    Sat to Sat gives slightly more availability but we're only going Wed to Sun, and what is available seems expensive.
    I heard on a similar thread that maybe some hotels haven't listed their full 2020 availability yet, and that maybe they open up to bookings for less than a week closer to the season start.
    Would that be your experience of booking this early? Or should I be looking at other sites to book accommodation? Maybe I just need to hang on till later in the year? Thanks!

• Advertisement

plalor wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking at Mayrhofen Feb Mid Term 2020 for 4 nights, which unfortunately I think is the same time as Austrian Mid Term. I've checked booking com for accommodation and there's very little available.
    Sat to Sat gives slightly more availability but we're only going Wed to Sun, and what is available seems expensive.
    I heard on a similar thread that maybe some hotels haven't listed their full 2020 availability yet, and that maybe they open up to bookings for less than a week closer to the season start.
    Would that be your experience of booking this early? Or should I be looking at other sites to book accommodation? Maybe I just need to hang on till later in the year? Thanks!

You will struggle to get anything in the town for less then sat-sat

• Registered Users Posts: 16 plalor

You will struggle to get anything in the town for less then sat-sat

OK thanks for the reply, I'll have a look at some places outside the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Crystal doing 2 for 1 on Ski Passes at the moment.

Just booked our Winter Ski trip to La Tania, so came in very handy.

Countdown is on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭mulbot

Hello all. Was in Chamonix earlier this year, loved the place, just wondering can anyone suggest a resort similar to Chamonix in terms of having a central town area etc(will have some non skiers with us again) cheers.

mulbot wrote: »
    Hello all. Was in Chamonix earlier this year, loved the place, just wondering can anyone suggest a resort similar to Chamonix in terms of having a central town area etc(will have some non skiers with us again) cheers.

Innsbruck or aosta spring to mind, but I've never been to either. Small amount of skiing above aosta, resort is called pila. Bunch of other resorts within about half an hour or 45 minutes drive. Similar resorts around innsbruck I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Lads, this might sound like a stupid question but would you know if more hotels become available to book online later on in the year?

Last few trips we haven't bothered booking until September and always found plenty of options. I've been looking the last couple of days and there's very little available for the dates we're looking at.

It really depends on the dates you are trying to book.
    The European school holidays weeks make a big difference to availability and price so perhaps that may be part of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

maddness wrote: »
    It really depends on the dates you are trying to book.
    The European school holidays weeks make a big difference to availability and price so perhaps that may be part of it.

Also, package companies block book dates, which can restrict availability if going independently. We had that problem last year. Only when we changed from sat to sat did options open up, but it meant altering airports etc also, and we dropped from 7 nights to 5 for one trip.

A lot of places will hold out for week long bookings sat to sat or sun to sun, then take shorter bookings the week before if they aren't full

St Anton booked

Anywhere that sells gopros should have some, Conns Cameras, Great outdoors, come to mind.
    Cheers

Had a look on Conns website. €30 for 6 mounts. Think I'll stick with Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Have Laudamotion discontinued their route from Dublin to Innsbruck this year ?

I don't see any flights available.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Iamkipper

"Wie heiBt die Mutter vom Nicki Lauder?"

Momma Lauder!! Momma Lauder!!! - Germans in Maxs Pub used to go Mad when this song came on

What would be good place to go for Easter 2020 for a 3 day break, just me no partner or kids. Gone to St Johann before for a week but never been anywhere for a short break. Any suggestions

• Advertisement
Advertisement