Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jack a car by subframe

• 01-08-2020 10:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

I want to jack my car by the subframe as I think the sills might be a bit too delicate to hold her up and the original jacking points are famous for ending up in the footwell of the passenger cell.

My intention is to jack it at one side and place an axle stand under it.

my question is, is it ok to simply put the trolly jack saddle directly to the subframe ? It would be metal to metal, will it not slip ? Is there something I could buy / make to stop this happening ?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭traco

A block of hard rubber if you could find one but I do a lot of moving of machines and timber is always a good bet.

I find that the timber will dent or compress little, soaks up any high points and tends to stay put. Make sure it looks solid as you don't want it splitting. A decent square of ply is very good in compression and low profile if space is an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I want to jack my car by the subframe as I think the sills might be a bit too delicate to hold her up and the original jacking points are famous for ending up in the footwell of the passenger cell.

My intention is to jack it at one side and place an axle stand under it.

my question is, is it ok to simply put the trolly jack saddle directly to the subframe ? It would be metal to metal, will it not slip ? Is there something I could buy / make to stop this happening ?

TIA

https://tinyurl.com/yxsl3hte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

It depends on the car too. I'd be wary of some subframes that are more round. Even with a block of timber they sometimes don't get a good grip.I'd be inclined to jack them on a subframe or wishbone bolt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I am considering using these as jack stands - I will drive her up as here then jack her up enough to get the wheels off them - remove the wheels and push these inwards under the subframe and let it back down.

What do ye think ?

521929.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭greasepalm

My thoughts its a heavy car and would like something stronger,are you planning in going in underneath car then metal axle stands.

• Advertisement

I was under it :eek::eek:
    but the next task is new disks so not too much under it.

You dont think these would hold its weight ? I have metal ones, I presumed these stronger !

Is it worth new discs if it is rotten with rust underneath you might be throwing money away?

greasepalm wrote: »
    Is it worth new discs if it is rotten with rust underneath you might be throwing money away?

I never said that ! I said they are famous for pushing the jack points through the floors and the sills may be a bit delicate - not something I want to chance when I can jack it up by the subframe !

rottent with rust ? 2 + 2 ≠5 :)

If a car cannot use its own jacking points i would be worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭monseiur

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I am considering using these as jack stands - I will drive her up as here then jack her up enough to get the wheels off them - remove the wheels and push these inwards under the subframe and let it back down.

What do ye think ?

521929.jpg
    I'd feel safer under this car with a couple of chocks behind the rear wheels:mad:

• Advertisement

there is a chock under the offside rear wheel, she is also in park (rwd) and has the handbrake on.

Lots of comments on my car being a rust bucket and folks pointing out issues on the photo, any more actual advice on the question asked ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭traco

A bit of thick carpet or a thick mat might also reduce the risk of slipping. Anything that will deform somewhat to give as much contact as possible if your friend. If you had more timber you could keep slitting it in under the wheels until you reach the height needed for the jack stands.

I lifted the front of the S280 with the blades and block of timber between them and the center lift point. It never moved, slotted in the stands and lowered. I'm paranoid so I left the forklift in position, with the jack under the blades and put the wheels underneath when I was reaching in underneath to do the tie rods.

49249222136_2309c68645_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kirving

traco wrote: »
    I'm paranoid so I left the forklift in position, with the jack under the blades and put the wheels underneath when I was reaching in underneath to do the tie rods.

No such thing as paranoid when you're under a car! Nice approach!

Advertisement