Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering leaving the city until things get back to normal...

Options
  • 16-05-2020 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

My work is close to announcing that all staff will be working from home until the end of October.

I am currently renting in Dublin but if and when this is announced I am considering giving my landlord my notice and finding a cheap house in the countryside (anywhere really as long as it has decent internet, green fields, and isn't falling apart) so that I can save some money up while I don't technically need to be in the city.

I have to say I love my flat in Dublin and my landlord is really sound so this would be a pretty scary move to make but I am thinking it would be silly to miss out on the opportunity to bump up my savings while I have no real need to be in the city.

I am wondering - would there be landlords/Airbnb owners out there who would be open to a mid-June to mid-October tenancy and how would I go about approaching them.

I have never done anything like this before so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

To be honest, if you love your apartment and have a great relationship with your landlord, I think you'd be mad to give that up for the sake of a few months. Particularly wben you'd just be giving it up to rent somewhere else. If you were moving home to save a serious wedge every month it might be a different story. What happens in October when you move back to Dublin?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭hometruths

My work is close to announcing that all staff will be working from home until the end of October.

I am currently renting in Dublin but if and when this is announced I am considering giving my landlord my notice and finding a cheap house in the countryside (anywhere really as long as it has decent internet, green fields, and isn't falling apart) so that I can save some money up while I don't technically need to be in the city.

I have to say I love my flat in Dublin and my landlord is really sound so this would be a pretty scary move to make but I am thinking it would be silly to miss out on the opportunity to bump up my savings while I have no real need to be in the city.

I am wondering - would there be landlords/Airbnb owners out there who would be open to a mid-June to mid-October tenancy and how would I go about approaching them.

I have never done anything like this before so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I think you'd find a lot of airbnb owners would be open to it. Do a search and enquire for a short booking, (you might have to put dates in to contact them) and send them a message asking about the possibility of June-October.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Will you have to go back in October? Or is it 'until at least october'? Is there a chance you might never gave to go back to the office

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I'm sure that there would be plenty landlords will to do short lets or Airbnb owners who wont have income otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

Dial Hard wrote: »
    To be honest, if you love your apartment and have a great relationship with your landlord, I think you'd be mad to give that up for the sake of a few months. Particularly wben you'd just be giving it up to rent somewhere else. If you were moving home to save a serious wedge every month it might be a different story. What happens in October when you move back to Dublin?

This, OP.

There could be a mad dash in October when colleges start and people need to move back to the city.

If you walk away, be prepared to stay away or you may end up competing for a less desireable place when everyone else moves back too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,107 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Thanks

How much do you think you'll save on rent over that time? Are you talking less than 6 months of saving that difference?

Your two moves will take a chunk out of it first of all.

I'd do it alright, but with a view to longer term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Maybe mention your thoughts to your landlord and get discount instead.

Plus blow ins are not well received in the country by locals while this pandemic is ongoing , and this will last until official restrictions are dropped.

Bigus wrote: »

Plus blow ins are not well received in the country by locals while this pandemic is ongoing , and this will last until official restrictions are dropped.

For argument's sake, how would anyone knowing you're a blow in affect your experience? I'm Canadian and am a blow in everywhere, yet I've been able to secure plenty of jobs and get into a competitive course as a 'local' EU fees payer. I'd argue that what some pensioner thinks of me at Lidl has had zero impact on my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,107 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

For argument's sake, how would anyone knowing you're a blow in affect your experience? I'm Canadian and am a blow in everywhere, yet I've been able to secure plenty of jobs and get into a competitive course as a 'local' EU fees payer. I'd argue what some pensioner thinks of me at Lidl has had zero impact on my life.

The places where you might reach top-level blow-in status wouldn't have Lidls.

That's the type of lack of understanding you'd only get from an unwanted blow in*.

*joke

The places where you might reach top-level blow-in status wouldn't have Lidls.

That's the type of lack of understanding you'd only get from an unwanted blow in*.

*joke

OP is leaving Dublin, they didn't say they were moving to Ardara or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If the OP has a Dub accent, they won't be overly well received in many parts of the countryside, especially now.

We have low R0 over here. Keep your plague to yourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

What part of it's a pandemic, we aren't supposed to travel do people just not get?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

What part of it's a pandemic, we aren't supposed to travel do people just not get?!

Moving house is allowed.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

That's a point, moving is allowed. Visiting a second home is not. If you're not moving long term, it won't be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

If the OP has a Dub accent, they won't be overly well received in many parts of the countryside, especially now.

Where are you from? If culchies can go to Dublin then why can't we visit the bog ?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

This, OP.

There could be a mad dash in October when colleges start and people need to move back to the city.

If you walk away, be prepared to stay away or you may end up competing for a less desireable place when everyone else moves back too.

I work in a Dublin university and with Cov-19 restrictions classes will more than likely continue to be online. Students may be restricted to be on campus for one day a week - staggered across all years. Certain students have to be on site but the majority will not be

Online classes and assessments are here for a while - students wont be coming back in their thousands. I think we can accomodate 10% of our student population on campus safely

• Registered Users Posts: 23 clio96

MarkR wrote: »
    That's a point, moving is allowed. Visiting a second home is not. If you're not moving long term, it won't be worth it.

Do you have any link of this posted on gov.ie we’re due to move soon more than 5km and planning on seeking permission from garda but would be great to also have a copy of the rules just in case? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭meijin

clio96 wrote: »
    Do you have any link of this posted on gov.ie we’re due to move soon more than 5km and planning on seeking permission from garda but would be great to also have a copy of the rules just in case? Thanks

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2020/si/121/made/en/print
    Restriction of movement of applicable persons

4. (1) An applicable person shall not leave his or her place of residence without reasonable excuse.

(2) Without prejudice to the generality of what constitutes a reasonable excuse for the purposes of paragraph (1), such reasonable excuse includes an applicable person leaving his or her place of residence (in this paragraph referred to as the “relevant residence”) to -

[..]

(p) move to another residence where, in all the circumstances of the case, such movement is reasonably necessary,

I've read so many of your posts over the years accidentally, may I add, but you're one weird, delusional individual. You used to post an awful lot of out of touch dribble in the work forum too. Keep your nonsense to yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 clio96

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Bigus wrote: »

Jeez folks, you're making it sound like the movie Deliverance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Ah the Galwegians. Lovers of roundabouts, bad traffic planning and protesting about the US military & foreign wars instead of worrying about yourselves :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Vestiapx wrote: »
    Where are you from? If culchies can go to Dublin then why can't we visit the bog ?
    Its bad enough listening to you folk in Dublin, we don't want to listen to you down the country:D we get away for a break down the country to get away from you's:rolleyes:

I've read so many of your posts over the years accidentally, may I add, but you're one weird, delusional individual.

Why thank you, what a lovely compliment.

Seriously, Dubs are significantly less welcome than usual at the moment. Whether it's fair, justified, whatever is irrelevant. Ye need to stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Just keep in mind aswell, it might be very lonely in a remote area. My neighbours are great we have a lovely atmosphere on our street.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Awful comment to make and anyone that would act or think like that is not worth knowing. People breaking the lockdown rules won't be well received and that applies wherever they come from but if they're not breaking the rules then most people won't have a problem.
    Vestiapx wrote: »
    You're just her mirror image.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Vita nova wrote: »
    Awful comment to make and anyone that would act or think like that is not worth knowing. People breaking the lockdown rules won't be well received and that applies wherever they come from but if they're not breaking the rules then most people won't have a problem.

You're just her mirror image.

Oh I thought you were a mod ?

I'll post my reply to your message here since you arent.
    Sorry if my tone didn't make it obvious but I was attempting satirical humor. The joke was supposed to self portray me as a dumb dub in response to her comment to highlight it's flaws.
    Perhaps engage get in some humorous "banter" I had intended to use irrelevant statistical manipulations such as " there are far more Dubs without Covid than people from (wherever she is from)" also many nurses in Dublin are from (wherever she is from) and they all have it as well.

But since she has ignored me and clearly reported me for using the protected term 'Culchie" it is obviously not something I'd have an interest in doing now even without the warning.

I suppose what I'm saying is that if I had just said the second sentence without the "where are you from it could be seen as a straight comment but I would (wrongly) have thought that by preceding the statement with the question "where are you from?" Would have shown an interest in engagement.

This poster seems to have got the joke

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113468436&postcount=26

Also (inject whataboutery here) would have thought direct attacks on the poster rather than their subject matter were more frowned upon, did you see this ?
    I've read so many of your posts over the years accidentally, may I add, but you're one weird, delusional individual. You used to post an awful lot of out of touch dribble in the work forum too. Keep your nonsense to yourself

Anyways I apologise for my use of the terms culchie and bog.

I've reported no one (I almost never bother: snitches get stitches).

You may not like the way that 1/2 the country view Dubs, or most of the country views blow-ins. That doesn't make it untrue though.

The level of dislike expressed has grown substantially in the pandemic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Thanks

If you are working from home until October, chances are you'll be working from home much longer (as most companies are making this an option) and they are very worried about their liability.

Lots of Air bnb houses are empty as no one is traveling so I'd say you could get a decent deal.

Check the eir fibre to the home map. I'm very rural and have 1gb internet

Advertisement