Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should landdirect be free to protect landlord and renters

Options
  • 03-10-2019 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

Given rent's are at such a level and renters could be handing over as much as €6,000 at the start of a lease

and Given the Fact landlords could be exposed for possibly ten's of thousands in someone sub letting their property's and then stiffing them on the rent.

Should landdirect or a similar service be available for renters to match the property owner with the person offering the tenancy's ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Owner name can be checked free on land direct if you have an account!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Its only a nominal charge to get a folio by email, there could be problems with issuing them for free (technical and data privacy), they could be inundated with requests that arent of any use to anyone except people being nosey, even a nosey person is unlikely to pay out a fiver for more than one or two, and certainly not for many folios.
    it wouldnt be a significant issue for it to be recommended that landlords could show the folio and if landdirect provided an owner the means to issue a onetime use code on request by the owner (maybe even a limited number within a set timeframe), for use by a third party on the landdirect website to confirm the details are correct, that said there could be data privacy issues.

Something like that might mean landirect would have to have the technical capacity to meet such requests and as such may require to charge to pay/cover the costs of running it.

Id be happy to see a folio and the owners ID, maybe that should be a requirement for renting from private owners and some other official form of licencing to show an agent is authorised to rent?,

that said, anything can be forged with/for enough money I imagine.

mickdw wrote: »

Can it? I have my own account, never knew that, set one up after going to the ideal homes exhibition, landdirect had a stand, the person said they recommended an owner setting it up as any changes made could be highlighted and sent to your email, so in the event anyone was trying to make changes to do with your folio you'd be informed, my understanding from them was in case someone tried to carry out some transfer without the owners knowledge.
    Im going to log on, Im not convinced I can just check other owners names by having my own account.

edit, I dont think you're right, just logged in, dont see how I can access that information without paying for the folio

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

Costs a fiver to view the folio

JustLen wrote: »

Costs a fiver to view the folio
    I didn't say you could view the folio but you can get the owners name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

utmbuilder wrote: »
    Given rent's are at such a level and renters could be handing over as much as €6,000 at the start of a lease

and Given the Fact landlords could be exposed for possibly ten's of thousands in someone sub letting their property's and then stiffing them on the rent.

Should landdirect or a similar service be available for renters to match the property owner with the person offering the tenancy's ?

If they have a concern about the loss of €6k then they should have no problem paying €5 to verify the owner of the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

A lot of rental property is not registered and has no folio. Even with a folio, change of ownership takes a long time so the person registered as owner may have sold the property to the current owner.

A lot of rental property is not registered and has no folio. Even with a folio, change of ownership takes a long time so the person registered as owner may have sold the property to the current owner.
    Yes. A lot of property in general is registry of deeds title and as such is not on the land registry system.
    Older urban properties especially.
    Access to land direct is still useful and certainly worth a check if handing out cash to a landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

I didn't say you could view the folio but you can get the owners name.

How do you do it? Would be helpful for me to know and save me a few bob?

Pm coming your way.

• Advertisement

pm me too will you, could just add it to this thread, i tried and i cant see how a name is accesible as it would be useful and convenient to ne able in some instances.

Advertisement