Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front windows

Options
  • 02-10-2019 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭

Will be buying a new house soon in and estate and wondering what is anything do people have on the front window to prevent people from staring into the living room as they walk pass?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

a blind?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This technology exists. We call it "curtains". Net curtains exist specifically for the combination of maximum light with minimal transparency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Net curtains solved this issue for me. Been around since my grannies time. Surprised you’ve never heard of them

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mine are neatly covered with film. Light comes in but folk cannot see in. Available from good hardware places.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Have a look in to see what all the neighbors have on their front windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Put one of those Wacky Waving Arm Flailing Inflatable Tubemen standing at the window.

Or get some blinds. You can get cheap ones in Ikea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Actually one of the most bizarre questions ever

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I just walk around naked... that stops them.

We’ve a front garden so that acts as a buffer when the lights in we close the curtains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Will be buying a new house soon in and estate and wondering what is anything do people have on the front window to prevent people from staring into the living room as they walk pass?

Easier to just brick up all your windows if your life is that interesting

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Net curtains will look absolutely naff on a new house, don't get them.

Nobody will stare in, and so what if they do, it's your sitting room not your bedroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Sellotape newspaper to the window panes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

antix80 wrote: »
    Sellotape newspaper to the window panes.
    go one better with some tin foil:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

shanec1928 wrote: »
    go one better with some tin foil:D

some of that white **** that builders scrub onto windows when doing work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Graces7 wrote: »
    Mine are neatly covered with film. Light comes in but folk cannot see in. Available from good hardware places.

Can you see out clearly?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Graces7 wrote: »

If you have any internal light people will be able to see in, for privacy you need blinds or net curtains.

As the OP I have to say that some of you that replied must think that this place is after hours. It was a sensible question and would appreciate if you can't give a proper answer to just keep scrolling on.

To that person who replied with their condescending answer in relation to be curtains bring around for ages I consider them to b pe very old fashioned and something that you tend to find in older houses.

For those that suggested blinds can you give some examples for a living room? Have ideas for kitchen windows but want something for main living area which doesn't really restrict light flow but also doesn't look old fashioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Septic tank

Venetian blinds

• Registered Users Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

At night, where it's dark outside and lit inside, net curtains and reflective window film are next to useless - only blocking curtains or opaque blinfs work. When it's lighter out, than in, net curtains and window film will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

cnocbui wrote: »
    At night, where it's dark outside and lit inside, net curtains and reflective window film are next to useless - only blocking curtains or opaque blinfs work. When it's lighter out, than in, net curtains and window film will work.

That's what curtains are for (if using net curtains).. blinds can be closed at night.

Curtains will be used at night, this is for day time use. We lived in a 3 bed semi before and new house is the same and found that people tend to have a gawk in as they pass by.(assume I do the same myself unconsciously)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Plantation shutters.

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you have any internal light people will be able to see in, for privacy you need blinds or net curtains.

Most people close curtains after dark. But the OP is concerned about daytime? Works grand here and yes I can see out, a little blurry but light still very good.

Hate net curtains myself. And the cooker is too near the kitchen window anyways. The film is so much neater.

The film is sheer magic

Curtains will be used at night, this is for day time use. We lived in a 3 bed semi before and new house is the same and found that people tend to have a gawk in as they pass by.(assume I do the same myself unconsciously)

That was my assumption re curtains at night. Here I have a glass door and hated that anyone arriving could see in. The film allows privacy and light . it is in the entrance hall by my room and I leave that inner door open.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We have vertical blinds. Closed at night, half open at an angle during the day to let some light in.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Your options on blinds are basically venetian, vertical or roller.

Roller blinds are no use for what you want, since it's either totally open or totally closed.

Venetian and vertical will make it harder to see in, but also harder to see out. They can also be a bit annoying when it comes to opening windows, and they may blow about and make noise when it's windy. They will restrict light flow, particularly if they're not at the perfect angle.

Net curtains and film stuck on your windows will look daft. The wooden shutters just look weird and will restrict more light than blinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Net curtains are back people! Not the old fashion ones with flowers and stuff but go into any Harry Corry and you you will see they aren't old fashioned anymore.

Anyway op I would recommend Panel curtains on rails(track system( from Ikea. You would have to see them in the shop but they are a set of rails(up to 3) with various kinds of material on each rail. One is generally semi transparent for allowing light in during the day the other can be black out and the third heavier material or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭drinkingwater

Day and night blinds, we have them in our bay living room window.

Day and night blinds, we have them in our bay living room window.

Have those in mind for the kitchen window, never considered them for living room but will.

Advertisement