Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Situation with the landlord

Options
  • 23-03-2019 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Sorry, the post will be long and I would appreciate if you could read it to the end.
    I am a tenant. Have been since I came to Ireland over 13 years ago. Have been renting my current apartment for the last 8 years. During those 8 years me and my wife tried to be the best tenants possible. We don't smoke, don't drink, have no kids, have no pets. Never have a party in our apartment. My wife is a master of sports in swimming, I'm into sports as well. I work nights as a supervisor responsible for deliveries for a huge Irish company, so I sleep in days, work nights. My wife follows her intense fitness routine so 8.30 pm she goes to bed, 6 am she is already training in the gym. We travel a lot as well so I thought we are the best tenants a landlord could wish for.

When we moved in to our current apartment, 8 years ago, we had to pay the deposit to our current landlord 1 month before moving in and we viewed the apartment while somebody was still living there (please note this as this is important). The landlord promised us that apartment will be professionally cleaned upon moving in and it will be spotless as it wasn't in great condition on viewing. So the date came to move in, we left our old apartment and moved to our current one. Of course no cleaning was done here, walls dirty, bathroom stinking, mattress dirty, no water pressure, living room's furniture covered in some stuff I don't even want to think about. I wasn't looking for any conflicts with my landlord from day 1 so all I asked for was if we could have a kettle and microwave provided for us. LL gave us a kettle that was burned inside so I had to point that out and then they replaced it and brought a microwave along side it.

After asking numerous times to replace the couch in the living room and getting the same answer "sure, will do", we had to replace it ourself. We replaced mattress too, no bother. Bought some furniture. Asked LL to paint the walls, LL says sure but you will have to move out for a few days. That didn't suit us so I told her I can paint it myself, but she will have to cover the costs. She agreed. I bought good paint, painted it nicely in all rooms, the total bill for paint, brushes etc was 220 euro, receipt provided, and the LL started giving out to me that LL could get somebody to paint it cheaper. Mind you I didn't take a cent for the actual job done. So that was sorted, apartment is looking well as we look after it, whenever something brakes, we replace it our self. Things like kettle, replaced 3 times over 8 years, hoover replaced 2 times. Over 2 years ago the carpet in living room started to loose some bits when you hoover it. We live on the top floor, sunny side, so the sun probably got that patch near the balcony dry and it started to fall apart. Reported it to LL over 2 years ago, was told they will get new carpet after christmas on sale. After 2 years I bought a carpet myself. Over those 8 years our rent went up twice, 1st time by 100 euro, second time by 150 euro. I live in rent pressure zone and those increases were against the law, but I agreed to them as the location of apartment suits me perfectly, being just 15 minutes away from work by walk. Also in our building we had an issue with birds nesting inside the roof as there was a massive hole in the roof. Right outside our bedroom. This situation wasn't dealt with for about 6 years. Another thing is window cleaning. There was a massive construction site for a couple of years right outside our building, so dust and all was on all windows 24/7 for 2 years. We live on the top floor, 4th, so we can not clean windows everywhere because we can't access them. So there is a company that cleans them. Everywhere except our apartment. I pointed that out a few times until I gave up. Not once in 8 years they cleaned our windows. I hope you can see here that we are decent tenants, and we do care about the property as if it was our own. I hope.

Well all was good until last october. We were on 3 weeks holidays abroad and on the last day LL called me and told they are going to sell the property. Of course we were destroyed by that. The LL said not to worry, the situation on the rental marked is mad and if we can't find a place by the end we won't end up on the street (please note this also). After our initial 1st year contract we lived here without extending the contract for 5 more years and then LL offered us to sign the contract, so we did. 5 months into our new contract they give us 4 months notice of termination. According to years that we lived there we are entitled to 6 months I pointed that out and LL agreed. So the termination notice was served and 3 days after that we had 90% of our stuff packed in boxes and ready to go. We were trying to find our new home for 5 month, going as far as Portlaoise, attending numerous viewings and zero results. So 1 month before the dreaded date of termination the LL calls me and tells me no matter what but the property must be vacant on the last day (remember LL told me we won't be forced out onto the street). So I went to threshold to inquire about my options in case I won't find a property. They looked at my termination notice and told me it is invalid as the statutory declaration was not served alongside the notice. So I called RTB just to make sure this is the case, explained the situation and they told me the notice is invalid. Ok so, I called the LL and asked for the declaration to be sent to me, LL said no bother (LL still didn't send it as of now). Next day LL calls me and says they are after talking to PRTB and they were told since I didn't object the notice in the first 28 days, then the notice is valid even without the declaration. So I got back to threshold, explained everything, they told me as there was no declaration, the notice is void to begin with and there was nothing to object. All these takes time and now I have less than a week until the final day. So I call PRTB again and tell them what threshold told me, RTB tells me to start a dispute so I did. Last night LL called me to ask about new place, I told nothing so far and told about RTB dispute. LL wasn't happy, told me I won't get a nice place now with open dispute and that LL is going to start a dispute against me. Oh well. On monday we will talk again, will see what is going to happen. But things that worry me are:

1-Every time when LL increased our rent they motivated it in such way: the management company wants all residents here to pay same rents. Well I know a good few people in my block and they all pay significantly different rents for the same apartments, some are paying the same rent for the last 9 years as their LL never increased it. So this is weird to me.

2-LL told me they are under huge pressure from the bank to sell the property but they won't bother us with people coming here to valuate or view the property. (Remember I asked you to note that we had to pay deposit 1 month before moving in and the viewing was done with people still living in the apartment, and all that was when LL wasn't under pressure) and at the beginning LL said they will sell it as is and now LL says next day after I move out there will be a painter painting the apartment.

3- four months after I received the notice the LL asked me if we are ok with being sold to a new LL as living tenants. We said we are ok with that and that is actually good for us. But LL says the rent will have to be brought up to market price, to about 1600 per month. I pay below that now and I mentioned that new LL can of course increase the rent but only by 4%. LL says oh no they will not agree to that, even though they don't know who they are selling it to.

4- I asked around my friends and there are 2 people who recently were sold as living in tenants with no problem. So I called my LL and asked again to maybe try and sell us as living in. LL said "no" straight away this time as they were told by Sherry Fitzgerald, our management company, that they will not bother selling an apartment with living in tenants as they run into problems doing just that very recently. I asked the LL to try and sell the property with different agency if Sherry doesn't want it and LL said no, they can only sell it with this company as they are the company that manages this complex. Very weird to me especially that it is easy to see other companies and private landlords selling in our complex with no problem.

5- I was told one of the reasons LL does not provide statutory declaration is because LL often just want the tenant out to increase the rent and not to actually sell it. About a month ago an agent from daft contacted me because I applied for viewing, saying the property I applied for is not for rent any more however he has another one just like that for less money right beside it but it can not be advertised on daft because of landlord's personal reasons. So that's what they are doing I suppose.

6- I am a bit annoyed that my LL mentions things like "you know, we better be friends as I will have to give you references for new landlord" or "oh you started the dispute? then forget about a contract longer than 12 months". Well, the reason I started the dispute or even went to threshold is because LL pushed me against the wall, cornered me. First LL said no pressure, you won't end up on the street, now story changed to I absolutely must leave the building. I can't let this happen. I explained to LL that last 6 months since receiving notice were hell for us, we are living on the boxes, can't order some important stuff for us from abroad as it will be a few weeks long shipping and I don't know if I'm still going to be here in 3 or 4 weeks. Missed days like my birthday, christmas, new year, other significant days we normally celebrate because of stress. I understand that most likely we will be issued with the proper notice this time, 7 months, but it is not our intention to stay here for another 7 months, our intention is not to end up on the street. That's all.

7-Couple of month ago I was invited for a viewing. It was on the next day after I had to pay my rent for a next month. So I asked my LL, if viewing is successful, what is going to happen with the rent that i just paid you for a month in advance? Will you give it back to me? LL said no, because, even though I'm on the notice already, I still have to give LL 30 days notice to move out. So it's fine for LL that I would have to pay 3K to move to a new place, pay 1K to my LL for moth that I am not going to live there but providing me with the statutory declaration is a big issue and how dare I go to initiate the dispute with PRTB.
    8-I'm a little bit annoyed that my LL is trying make me feel guilty for their troubles (if what LL says is true). LL says they have 4 kids and that they will loose their business and their home if they fail to sell this 1 bedroom apartment by the 1st of June. The only thing is as far as I know my LL works as a doctor, husband have business and they live in a massive house in Bray. How would they loose all that if they didn't sell 1 bed apartment is beyond me. Also a couple of times LL mentioned to me that because they are a family with kids and we are a family of only 2 people without kids then that makes us somewhat less of human than them. Not directly but with that meaning.

9-If PRTB by some reason rules into LL's favor and Threshold says we are right, what should I do? Who to listen to?

Thanks for your time reading this. I guess this was more to vent than to ask for advice but if you can give some I would appreciate it. We have to wait now for RTB decision and will see then. In the mean time I am still hoping to find some decent 1 bedroom apartment. We have excellent references. I am a valued employee, been selected as employee of the quarter so hopefully that says something. My income is not huge, but over 50K a year so we always pay rent and bills in time. ooh. Feels better now. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FelaniaMump

Way too much info there, and you need to break up paragraphs.

But in a nutshell: landlord did not serve you legal correct notice, therefore you have no need to move out. They can serve it on you now and you have 6 months notice from the time you get a new correct legal notice. That's the only bit that really matters here.
    RTB will not rule in LL's favour. Their problems are nothing to do with you, stop talking to them about anything but the point at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I don't really understand what you are looking for.

The notification must be in writing or email to be legal.

You have a case of rent been increased outside agreed amounts in law.

You have got advice from threshold and RTB the P was dropped.

Wait for the dispute and stay if you are happy to and continue to pay the rent.

Do not be contacting or discussing anything with the LL about it and to be honest you would have been best never stating this either( that you have a case against them)

Let the LL worry about having everything correct and legal.

Window cleaning and anything outside is up to management company but LL could have contacted them.

Way too much written and impossible to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Nonamigo

Way too much info there, and you need to break up paragraphs.

But in a nutshell: landlord did not serve you legal correct notice, therefore you have no need to move out. They can serve it on you now and you have 6 months notice from the time you get a new correct legal notice. That's the only bit that really matters here.
    RTB will not rule in LL's favour. Their problems are nothing to do with you, stop talking to them about anything but the point at hand.

Thanks. Yeah the post turned out even longer than i expected.

I don't really understand what you are looking for.

The notification must be in writing or email to be legal.

You have a case of rent been increased outside agreed amounts in law.

You have got advice from threshold and RTB the P was dropped.

Wait for the dispute and stay if you are happy to and continue to pay the rent.

Do not be contacting or discussing anything with the LL about it and to be honest you would have been best never stating this either( that you have a case against them)

Let the LL worry about having everything correct and legal.

Window cleaning and anything outside is up to management company but LL could have contacted them.

Way too much written and impossible to read.

Thanks. The notice was served in writing. However no declaration was submitted. All my life I have been trying to be a nice person and I try to avoid situations where I have to lie. Landlord asked me last night if I submitted the case, I thought she is asking because PRTB called her. So I seid I did. Sorry if the text is hard to read. I appreciate your input

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FelaniaMump

<SNIP>

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

FelaniaMump read the forum charter before posting again.

Nonamigo wrote: »
    Thanks. The notice was served in writing. However no declaration was submitted. All my life I have been trying to be a nice person and I try to avoid situations where I have to lie. Landlord asked me last night if I submitted the case, I thought she is asking because PRTB called her. So I seid I did. Sorry if the text is hard to read. I appreciate your input

I would recommend obviously look for another place.

Your time there is limited and don't be worrying about the LL as they aren't worried about you.

Make sure they follow all correspondence correctly and leave as soon as you find another suitable place once in the correct time of notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You should shorten what you wrote into about 10 lines. It will make it clearer for your own head.

I've nothing to add other than agree with the others.

I would recommend obviously look for another place.

Your time there is limited and don't be worrying about the LL as they aren't worried about you.

Make sure they follow all correspondence correctly and leave as soon as you find another suitable place once in the correct time of notice.

Thanks. Sure, as soon as we find something suitable we will move out. We do not intend to stay until the very last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I’d be careful about moving out early without prior agreement. The landlord could decide to hold you to the full term and ask for payment of rent for that period. When a situation goes sour, like this one has, you need to make sure to do everything correctly.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    I’d be careful about moving out early without prior agreement. The landlord could decide to hold you to the full term and ask for payment of rent for that period. When a situation goes sour, like this one has, you need to make sure to do everything correctly.

Thanks. Yeah, I actually prefer when everything is done properly, according to the law of the land. If I have to give 30 days notice, it will be given. I just can't agree to obey the law by only one party and disregarding the law by another party. It is just weird that being "under huge pressure from the bank" my LL insisted on me giving her full 30 days notice. Wouldn't they be just happy if I moved out quicker even if that would mean for them loosing one month's rent? I just don't believe they want to sell it. Well it's their right, I don't mind. And as soon as something comes up we will move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

Thanks. Yeah, I actually prefer when everything is done properly, according to the law of the land. If I have to give 30 days notice, it will be given. I just can't agree to obey the law by only one party and disregarding the law by another party. It is just weird that being "under huge pressure from the bank" my LL insisted on me giving her full 30 days notice. Wouldn't they be just happy if I moved out quicker even if that would mean for them loosing one month's rent? I just don't believe they want to sell it. Well it's their right, I don't mind. And as soon as something comes up we will move out.

The "being under huge pressure from the bank" could be due to 3 things:
    1. Either they have defaulted paying the bank for the apartment you are renting in, in which case the bank more than likely is trying, quite rightly, to repossess the apartment. In this case the only thing they will lose is that apartment and that apartment only so long as there are no other assets being used as a collateral for the mortgage
    2. They have defaulted paying the mortgage of their main residence and they need to sell your apartment to get a breather or out of trouble with the bank in their main residence
    3. The last possibility is that they are lying and just trying to do something like renting the apartment at a much higher rent.

At the end of the day if you paid your rent on time and were a good tenant that has kept the place as it should, you are not responsible for the landlord's issues with the bank. Follow the procedure they are outlining in the PRTB and Threshold and the advice people have given you in this thread.

Whatever issues they have with the bank, they are legally responsible adults.

I have done work for landlords and the most astonishing thing is when they get their tenants rents and they use them to finance their lifestyle and not paying mortgages. They don't make the numbers before getting into the business and think it's just getting the mortgage and you are making a profit until you sell the house in the future. For the duration of the mortgage making actual profits is very, very difficult.

For good landlords I feel sorry because the business is tough and you are gambling quite a bit. For bad ones I don't feel sorry at all and you should do the same. Whatever their issues with the bank it's their issues and not yours in any way. Follow procedures and stick to the rules.

So here's a little update. Received a letter from PRTB regarding my dispute today and here is what it says:

"Section 80 of the Residential Tenancies Act provides that any dispute relating to a Notice of Termination must be referred to the PRTB within 28 days of receipt of the notice; it appears this was not the case in this instance.
    The Board may extend the above time limit. If you wish to seek the extension you must make an application to the PRTB showing good grounds for why the time should be extended. The Board will not grant an extension unless good grounds for the extension have been provided.

Your case will be referred to the Board at their next meeting."

So what does that mean? Does that mean they are looking at it as a valid notice? Even though there was no declaration submitted? I don't really get it. I am not the one who was supposed to send the declaration, so how would I know I was supposed to get one? Am I kind of being punished for not knowing what the LL supposed to send me?

tanit wrote: »
    I have done work for landlords and the most astonishing thing is when they get their tenants rents and they use them to finance their lifestyle and not paying mortgages. They don't make the numbers before getting into the business and think it's just getting the mortgage and you are making a profit until you sell the house in the future. For the duration of the mortgage making actual profits is very, very difficult.

This is what always makes me cringe: Some LLs thinking that the ROI should be from the rent and not from a future resale. Sure you might make a bit extra year on year, from surplus rent, but in the main the rent should be to pay for the mortgage, fees, taxes, and property upkeep (outside what the person living there should be doing).
    Your cash payday should be when you sell just like most investments, where you get a small dividend (if things are going well) and an increased capital return on sale.

So here's a little update. Received a letter from PRTB regarding my dispute today and here is what it says:

"Section 80 of the Residential Tenancies Act provides that any dispute relating to a Notice of Termination must be referred to the PRTB within 28 days of receipt of the notice; it appears this was not the case in this instance.
    The Board may extend the above time limit. If you wish to seek the extension you must make an application to the PRTB showing good grounds for why the time should be extended. The Board will not grant an extension unless good grounds for the extension have been provided.

Your case will be referred to the Board at their next meeting."

So what does that mean? Does that mean they are looking at it as a valid notice? Even though there was no declaration submitted? I don't really get it. I am not the one who was supposed to send the declaration, so how would I know I was supposed to get one? Am I kind of being punished for not knowing what the LL supposed to send me?

Show that you have been actively and honestly viewing properties, trying to get rehoused, and can not find anything.
    Not being able to secure a new home is a good reason for an extension

Not being able to secure a new home is a good reason for an extension

The Residential Tenancies Act has no such provision.

Graham wrote: »
    The Residential Tenancies Act has no such provision.

I always thought that if you had a breach and were out on the street, based on that breach, it fell back on the person in the wrong.

Good to know

I wouldn't like to guess if the RTB would take it into account. I certainly wouldn't like to rely on it to keep a roof over my head.

To me the rules are fairly clear, you have 28 days to dispute a notice of termination. Perhaps others can point out disputes where the 28 days has been extended.

Hm interesting. How can I provide that I was actively looking for an apartment? I have some emails from agencies inviting for viewing. I have pictures of the posts I printed and left inside of some buildings saying we are looking for an apartment. I have posts on facebook in different groups where people are looking for an apartment. But how would I prove that I was selected or rejected by the agent or LL? This would be quite impossible.

Anyway, I was on the phone now with PRTB regarding this letter and they told me that not submitting a dispute within first 28 days because your termination notice does not clearly say that I can do that, is a good enough ground for extension. But they will still have to look at it at the hearing. My notice has no mention of PRTB whatsoever. But still I can not understand if the law clearly says the statutory declaration must be included how is it even possible that I still need to object it?
    Well my notice expires in 2 days, PRTB told me they will contact me within these 2 days. Also today is when I have to transfer my rent, PRTB told me to just keep paying as always. LL texted me now that she needs to talk to me so I'll ask her what she wants me to do with the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

Hm interesting.

Anyway, I was on the phone now with PRTB regarding this letter and they told me that not submitting a dispute within first 28 days because your termination notice does not clearly say .....But still I can not understand if the law clearly says the statutory declaration must be included how is it even possible that I still need to object it?

Why have 28 days notice At All then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I'd say the best case you can make is that you didn't feel the need to challenge the eviction notice because the landlord assured you that you wouldn't have to leave if you didn't find a new place by the time the noice period was up. The landlord has since reneged on that promise.

That to my mind would be a valid reason to extend the 28 days, the PRTB may see otherwise but it can't hurt to try.

I would also absolutely open a case about the illegal rent increases. The LL took advantage of your good nature and is now showing their true colours. This is the type of LL that gives LL's a bad name, so should be punished for every mistake they make.

rightmove wrote: »
    Why have 28 days notice At All then

That is exactly my point. I don't get it.

I'd say the best case you can make is that you didn't feel the need to challenge the eviction notice because the landlord assured you that you wouldn't have to leave if you didn't find a new place by the time the noice period was up. The landlord has since reneged on that promise.

That to my mind would be a valid reason to extend the 28 days, the PRTB may see otherwise but it can't hurt to try.

I would also absolutely open a case about the illegal rent increases. The LL took advantage of your good nature and is now showing their true colours. This is the type of LL that gives LL's a bad name, so should be punished for every mistake they make.

The problem here is I can't remember exactly when those increases were forced upon me. I think the first time was when the rent pressure zone was not introduces yet but second one, I think, was after it was introduced. This would be tricky to prove and really not that important to me at this stage. At this stage all I want is to not end up on the street.

Another update. LL just after calling me. Said she has taken legal advice from PRTB (do they give legal advises?) today and on wednsday she is coming over to meet me and to give me new notice with the declaration. She says I will have 28 days to dispute it and in the meantime she will have 28 days to dispute my first dispute. As I understand she is giving me the new notice but firmly believes that the first one was correct and after this wednsday I will be basically over holding and she is going to challenge me on that. Hopefully PRTB will get back to me before wednsday with ruling in my favor.

Another update. LL just after calling me. Said she has taken legal advice from PRTB (do they give legal advises?) today and on wednsday she is coming over to meet me and to give me new notice with the declaration. She says I will have 28 days to dispute it and in the meantime she will have 28 days to dispute my first dispute. As I understand she is giving me the new notice but firmly believes that the first one was correct and after this wednsday I will be basically over holding and she is going to challenge me on that. Hopefully PRTB will get back to me before wednsday with ruling in my favor.

You need to stop telling the LL anything and ask for everything in writing.

You have been told this.

If you want to contest the notice then get it into the RTB right away.

Don't be waiting for them to call you.

Pay rent as normal, your deposit must be given back and RTB can push on this.

Are you paying cash or by transferring it as this would tell you when amounts changed.

You can still put in a complaint and the LL can be investigated as to what they were claiming as payment etc.

That is exactly my point. I don't get it.

Agree totally (I wasn't having a go..same thing struck me)....has to be one or the other....but our civil servants may need to go back to school and learn boolean before legislating

OSI wrote: »
    It’s to stop people playing the system to gain an advantage. Imagine someone gets a 6 month termination notice. They notice on day 1 that it’s invalid but decide to wait until the last day of the 6 months to contest it. If the notice is invalid the LL now has to give another 6 month notice.

Yes I had to do that ...or so threshold told my tenants

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Graham wrote: »
    I wouldn't like to guess if the RTB would take it into account. I certainly wouldn't like to rely on it to keep a roof over my head.

To me the rules are fairly clear, you have 28 days to dispute a notice of termination. Perhaps others can point out disputes where the 28 days has been extended.

If the landlord proceeds for overholding the tenant can raise the validity of the Notice of termination.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

OSI wrote: »
    It’s to stop people playing the system to gain an advantage. Imagine someone gets a 6 month termination notice. They notice on day 1 that it’s invalid but decide to wait until the last day of the 6 months to contest it. If the notice is invalid the LL now has to give another 6 month notice.

It happens frequently when a landlord proceeds for overholding that it is found his notice is invalid, and he has to start again.

• Advertisement

So, to summarise.....the tenant has 28 days to contest the validity of the notice. But if that notice is invalid, then the 28 days starts again from scratch? i.e.....You only have to contest the validity of a notice if it is already valid?

And people wonder why there are issues around ending of tenancies.

Advertisement