Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Four legged neighbour.

Options
  • 10-08-2015 2:44am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭

I've just started renting a place. Not particularly nice or anything. One of seven self contained units in a house sort of thing. But it's being made significantly worse by the fact that I've got company. Optimistically, it's a mouse. Fingers crossed on that one.

Started hearing creaking and scratching in the wall behind the fridge. Last guy that was renting must have put traps down. There is a hole behind the fridge where he has stuffed a pill bottle (probably anti-depressants lol) and two traps, dunno if they've been sprung looking at them. There's a hole for the pipe to come in under the press so whatever it is, its been there too.

Fairly grossed out right now, I'm a city boy and I don't do vermin, alive, dead or headless. Gonna tell the landlord to sort it tomorrow. Is there a device, something that operates on a frequency only it can hear to convince it to feck off without me having to deal with the animal personally?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Wright wrote: »
    I've just started renting a place. Not particularly nice or anything. One of seven self contained units in a house sort of thing. But it's being made significantly worse by the fact that I've got company. Optimistically, it's a mouse. Fingers crossed on that one.

Started hearing creaking and scratching in the wall behind the fridge. Last guy that was renting must have put traps down. There is a hole behind the fridge where he has stuffed a pill bottle (probably anti-depressants lol) and two traps, dunno if they've been sprung looking at them. There's a hole for the pipe to come in under the press so whatever it is, its been there too.

Fairly grossed out right now, I'm a city boy and I don't do vermin, alive, dead or headless. Gonna tell the landlord to sort it tomorrow. Is there a device, something that operates on a frequency only it can hear to convince it to feck off without me having to deal with the animal personally?

Klashnikov

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Klashnikov

I might lose my deposit taking the AK route.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,109 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yes, you can buy a little electronic yoke that you leave plugged into a socket that emits ultrasonic signals that you can't hear, but that seriously piss off rodents. We cleared up a mouse infestation this way, when traps and the like had failed miserably. Worked like a dream.

(PS - we have a dog that is not bothered by it.)

What are you even doing up at this hour. I have an excuse, it is scratching around.

Thanks for the advice. Any DIY store would have them I assume?

What are you even doing up at this hour.
    I'm in Australia.
    Any DIY store would have them I assume?
    I expect so. What you want is called an ultrasonic mouse repellent.

If you find something called an "electronic mouse repellent" it could work by emitting either ultrasonic signals or electromagnetic signals - you'll need to read the small print on the package to find out which. The one we have is ultrasonic, and it works for us. I have no experience with the electromagnetic ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Never used the sonic thing, so no idea if it works. Surely the landlord can give rent2kill a ring and sort it out. Hopefully its just a mouse and not a nest of rats, waiting for you to fall asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Yes, you can buy a little electronic yoke that you leave plugged into a socket that emits ultrasonic signals that you can't hear, but that seriously piss off rodents. We cleared up a mouse infestation this way, when traps and the like had failed miserably. Worked like a dream.

(PS - we have a dog that is not bothered by it.)

We have one of these in the garage, have it a good few years now, it works very well, have never seen a mouse ( hopefully never either)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I

Ah Here, get a trap, set it, use rasher as bait.
    What do you do if a wasp or bluebottle flies in, call the landlord as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

I can't understand how someone isn't capable of dealing with a mouse themselves .. city boy or not.

Things like mice go hand in hand with actually living in a property, from time to time problems will arise.

A mouse trap costs about a Euro, set it and see if it solves the problem. If not there might be a case for contacting the landlord about looking in to professional pest control.

The rind of a rasher works best, make sure it is skewered on to the trap, I have personally witnessed a mouse pick a rind off a trap and walk off !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Problem with traps, is it won't stop more coming in the same way as the current lad did. Also, it will only kill the mammy. When the babies in the nest die from starvation, the smell will be unbearable.

Get the ultrasonic device in b&q or similar.

• Advertisement

Yeah, if I can avoid killing the animal I will, thanks.

The worry is that it's not a mouse. A mouse I could handle. Anything else could be genuinely dangerous (Weil's disease).

Vermin in the walls is not a cheap problem to sort out if you want it done humanly and permanently. Therefore its on the landlord to fix. If the boiler goes, I'm not whipping out the credit card, I'm calling the landlord.

Legally, it's the landlord's problem. The house is supposed to be fit for habitation. If there's a rodent infestatation, that's a bit of a black mark.

However if you can solve the problem with an ultrasonic device (or with traps, or with some combination) that's cheap and convenient, and probably a more attractive option than entering into a negotiation with the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,135 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Kinda feeling the above. Granted I tend to do most of the work in my rented property to not annoy my landlord, this is something you can definitely deal with yourself.

We spotted a rat in the garden there few months back. Onto Fingal county council, who sent out their exterminators. Laid a proper metal trap with poison, came back a few days later. Gave me some pointers on stuff that rats and mice get attracted to and how to avoid it. But there feedback was it originated from another house, and was just travelling into our garden.

County councils do provide vermin control services, that could be worth a look into. It's free of charge, and from my experience its helpful to get some advice incase anything might be causing a problem.

Landlord left a mattress out the back in the shed, and seemingly that is a breeding ground for vermin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Pop into Aldi and get these.
    https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sun-19-july/products-detail-page/ps/p/mouse-rat-baittraps/
    Orientate them so that the open trap faces the wall.
    Bait them with snickers. They love peanuts and chocolate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

gaius c wrote: »
    Pop into Aldi and get these.
    https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sun-19-july/products-detail-page/ps/p/mouse-rat-baittraps/
    Orientate them so that the open trap faces the wall.
    Bait them with snickers. They love peanuts and chocolate.

Another thing to do is figure out the route they'd take through a room. I placed a trap behind a piece of furniture in the hall which was flush with the ground so they couldn't go under it and going around the other way was going through the middle of the hall so they were most likely to follow the route behind it. I placed it in a way that meant they had to climb over it if they were going that way and caught two mice last winter in the trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Sounds like he's more of a housemate than a neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement