Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access to neighbour's passage to maintain our property

Options
  • 04-08-2015 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

We live in suburbia with a side passage up the side of each detached house. This means one of our four walls is only accessible via next door's property ie their side passage. Am I correct in thinking we have a legal right to access to paint our wall, fix a window and clean our gutters?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Dubl07 wrote: »
    We live in suburbia with a side passage up the side of each detached house. This means one of our four walls is only accessible via next door's property ie their side passage. Am I correct in thinking we have a legal right to access to paint our wall, fix a window and clean our gutters?

Not unless they give you permission or there is a right of way attached to the plans of the neighbours property. You must be on bad terms if you are asking about legal rights, otherwise just ask them can you through up a ladder for an afternoon to carry out necessary repairs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Dubl07 wrote: »

Depends if it's a legal right of way/ shared passage.
    What do your folio maps say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

kceire wrote: »
    Depends if it's a legal right of way/ shared passage.
    What do your folio maps say?

Folio maps? :o

Actually asking for someone up the street. We cooperate with both sides and behind but there're always one or two oddballs in every development, aren't there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Is it your neighbours back passage you desire to access?

testicle wrote: »
    Is it your neighbours back passage you desire to access?

Truthfully, nothing would fill me with greater horror. There's a few of us using a crew to do work on our houses and one neighbour (not actually mine) refuses to answer the doorbell to even ask permission for access to their side passage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

davo10 wrote: »
    Not unless they give you permission or there is a right of way attached to the plans of the neighbours property.
    There may also be a right of maintenance, which only applies to maintenance, not general access.

All was sorted out amicably. Thanks for the boardsies' input.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement