Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house with old electric wiring

Options
  • 02-10-2019 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I got sale agreed on a property with old electric wiring dating to the late 1960s, old ceramic fuse board and original wires and fittings. I am willing to get the home rewired once it comes into my possession. I am worried that the bank will not approve the mortgage because of it, if they don't approve it no lender will approve it I'd imagine? Or will approval go ahead if I can prove that I will resolve the wiring once in my possession or will it not be an issue? Not to sure about this one.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭redved

No bank will care about the condition of the wiring. Wouldn't worry about it
    stevek93 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I got sale agreed on a property with old electric wiring dating to the late 1960s, old ceramic fuse board and original wires and fittings. I am willing to get the home rewired once it comes into my possession. I am worried that the bank will not approve the mortgage because of it, if they don't approve it no lender will approve it I'd imagine? Or will approval go ahead if I can prove that I will resolve the wiring once in my possession or will it not be an issue? Not to sure about this one.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

redved wrote: »
    No bank will care about the condition of the wiring. Wouldn't worry about it

Thank you, I read on a electricians website that you will not be able to sell a house with old wiring but maybe it was to draw in customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

The banks only care about the value of the property. They need to ensure that they can use the house as collateral if you stop paying.

If you're willing to spend the money on getting it rewired then you'll have no problem.

Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Have you priced the rewire before you buy? It’s not as easy as people think and is big expense

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Have you priced the rewire before you buy? It’s not as easy as people think and is big expense

Yes I have a family member 9 doors down who recently got their home rewired same build.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Do they even check ? They only look for a valuation not a survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ted1 wrote: »
    Do they even check ? They only look for a valuation not a survey.

The valuation takes into account a basic property survey. The bank compares the price the person is paying for the property, against the amount of work needed on the property. They then check to see if you have the money to make the place livable. If the wiring works, then technically it doesn't have to be replaced so it doesn't matter.

Or at least they were doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The valuation takes into account a basic property survey. The bank compares the price the person is paying for the property, against the amount of work needed on the property. They then check to see if you have the money to make the place livable. If the wiring works, then technically it doesn't have to be replaced so it doesn't matter.

Or at least they were doing that.

An estate agent does the valuation survey. They are not fit to comment on electrics.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thank you, I read on a electricians website that you will not be able to sell a house with old wiring but maybe it was to draw in customers.

Zero legal restrictions on doing it, nor do lenders care. Buyers may use it being called out in a survey to try negotiate prices down; that's a completely different issue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

L1011 wrote: »
    Zero legal restrictions on doing it, nor do lenders care. Buyers may use it being called out in a survey to try negotiate prices down; that's a completely different issue though.
    Correct. The lender will lend on the basis of the current ( no pun intended) value. They just want to besatisfied that if you default they have an asset to recoup the loan

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

We've just bought one similar. Fuse board was upgraded at some point, but a lot of old wiring still there. Bank didn't care.

The issue is getting an electrician to actually come and do the job. They are all very, very busy it seems at present, and some don't want the hassle of an old house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

banks don't care per se, but the insurance company might.

and you need to have home insurance in place in order to draw down any funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

IS the power still connected or within the time limit needed before ESB will demand an electrician's inspection before reconnecting?

Graces7 wrote: »
    IS the power still connected or within the time limit needed before ESB will demand an electrician's inspection before reconnecting?

It is still connected but I wonder if the bills aren't being paid how long will ESB keep it connected for?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It is still connected but I wonder if the bills aren't being paid how long will ESB keep it connected for?

That is interesting. If even the standing charge is not being paid? Maybe ask the agent as this must be a common enough occurrence. Presuming the current owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

If bills aren't being paid the supply will be cut off a week or 2 after the second bill has become due. It happens all the time when people can't or won't pay.

Advertisement