Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change from house share to renting complete house

Options
  • 28-03-2019 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

I need some advice. I used to live in my own house and rent two rooms. Then I got married and moved into my wife's house, therefore letting out my room in my house.
    So now the house is let by individual rooms. I want to change this arrangement to rent the complete house as a single unit as its a lot of hassle involved in renting it like this. I would also prefer if a family rented it, instead of individuals.
    I dont know how to go about this, is it a case that this is simply not possible with all the rules RTB enforce?
    Appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

If your current tenants are in situ more than 6 monthe they will have acquired part IV rights and they are entitled to remain until the expiration of the tenancy, except for the statutory exceptions (which do not include your reason for looking to terminate their tenancy set out here.)

You can, however, give them notice that you do not wish to commence a new part IV tenancy before a new one is automatically created by roll over. Then when the current one terminates (either 4 or 6 years after it commenced depending on when it started) you can terminate and create a new tenancy with new tenants as you intend.

See notice for terminating a part iv tenancy before a new part iv commences (notice number 2) here:

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/ending-a-tenancy/sample-notices-of-termination/

Personally I’d advise you to stick with the rooms let individually as I think it’s a much better way of doing it from the LLs perspective. You aren’t exposed to the same risks of unpaid rent for example (even if one stops paying you still have 2/3 of the rent), people tend to move on after shorter amounts of time so far less risk of overholding, I’d argue that it’s easier to get rid of a bad tenant compared to a full let etc.

The work load in looking after it shouldn’t be much more and well worth it for the additional control you maintain compared to a full house let.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Personally I’d advise you to stick with the rooms let individually as I think it’s a much better way of doing it from the LLs perspective. You aren’t exposed to the same risks of unpaid rent for example (even if one stops paying you still have 2/3 of the rent), people tend to move on after shorter amounts of time so far less risk of overholding, I’d argue that it’s easier to get rid of a bad tenant compared to a full let etc.

The work load in looking after it shouldn’t be much more and well worth it for the additional control you maintain compared to a full house let.

The work load is going to be more. You are now dealing with personalities as well as property. You can make more money doing it this way but you need to have the time available to actually do it.

Most landlords want long term tenants and the continuous cash flow they bring. Overholding is not really an issue.

Changing it over is really a matter for negotiation with your tenants. One of them may be happy enough to take on the whole house. Alternatively you could empty it out over a period.

If you really want to start afresh you need to plan carefully and make sure you understand the law. For example if you really want to let it to families, it might need renovation. Renovation is a good reason to ask tenants to leave.

What you want to do is certainly possible with a bit of planning and forethought.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I would be against letting to a family. They fin it harder to pay rent on one or two incomes than singles who will have an income each. Getting a bad family is a nightmare. they will pay nothing, wreck the place and use every legal trick in the book to slow down eviction.

Advertisement