Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Estate - Seoladh Gaeilge

Options
  • 25-03-2019 11:38am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hi,

We have moved into a new estate, I have always used my address wherever I have lived as Gaeilge. I would like to be able to use an leagan Gaeilge but none exists from all the searching I have done. The translation is straightforward, does anyone know how I should get the ball rolling on having it formally registered as Gaeilge so I could use it as a postal address?

Go raibh maith agaibh.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 hugedinosaur

Maybe you could start by sending yourself a test letter and see if it arrives. If necessary you could contact your local Post Office or sorting office or just meet your postman or woman and let him/her know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Do you have an Eir Code?

If you do go to the website and put it in. There is an option then for Gaeilge and it should have an leagan Gaeilge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

branners69 wrote: »
    Do you have an Eir Code?

If you do go to the website and put it in. There is an option then for Gaeilge and it should have an leagan Gaeilge.

Hi, yes we have an eircode but the name remains the same for both. Apparently it should have been done during planning application but wasn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Contact the office of An Coimisinéir Teanga would be the first step I would take.

Can you check here?

https://www.logainm.ie/en/lst/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

branners69 wrote: »

What is the point? That will only give the townland, not the name of the development.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,619 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Is it Tiffany Downs as per RTÉ sitcom?
    and it exists in Cork! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,619 ✭✭✭✭zell12

You should write to the local authority and ask them for the official ainm as gaeilge.
    It is their job to name/authorise places.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    What is the point? That will only give the townland, not the name of the development.

Do you not think development names are used up and down the country. Most have been translated before.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If they didn't agree both languages with the planning authority during planning - which would be extremely rare - it'd be down to the council to decide. Have you checked the files yourself or were you told that by someone else? Its usually one letter in the entire post-grant correspondence.

There is the final issue that unless An Post know what it is, your post isn't going to get there!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 hugedinosaur

L1011 wrote: »
    There is the final issue that unless An Post know what it is, your post isn't going to get there!

He didn't say the name of the place, but he said the translation is straightforward, so it is quite likely that the An Post staff will know where it is, or if they don't know straight away, they will be be able to work it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I doubt that every postman is an Irish speaker, capable of translating on the fly. It will need to be officially named.

Advertisement