Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Conversion

Options
  • 24-03-2019 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Looking at a few properties with scope for an attic conversion into a bedroom. Has anyone an idea on what this usually costs?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Looking at a few properties with scope for an attic conversion into a bedroom. Has anyone an idea on what this usually costs?

Budget 20-25k
    Could be lower depending on spec and existing house structure layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

We converted recently and the cost was roughly 13.5K for the build and another 5K for Wardrobes, lights, higher spec windows and blinds - all less tax which totaled it to 21K or thereabouts.

For budgeting, and not included above, you should also include a repaint of the house or at least the new room, plus hall stairs and landing. Most of which will require three coats as you are painting on plaster \ new wood. Plus you will also need to put down carpet \ lino\ floor boards which will also likely to be needed in your hall, stairs and landing for consistency.

I estimate we spend close to €24K in the end and I did all the painting (which took me a very long time..). If I was to include a painter then it would have been 2-3 K more and availability can be an issue.

Hope that helps

(Forgot to add you can get a grant that lets you write off a percentage to tax but the builder needs to be registered)

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Thanks for the feedback. Figures are coming in slightly more than I anticipated, but it's good hear what we can realistically expect to pay

Advertisement