Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a copy of a marriage certificate or proof of marriage

Options
  • 08-12-2017 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

I have been asked by a friend in the UK find a record for a marriage that he believes took place in Ireland circa 1930 between his (English born) grandfather and his grandmother.

Is there any way of doimng this online, preferably without having to pay for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

I have been asked by a friend in the UK find a record for a marriage that he believes took place in Ireland circa 1930 between his (English born) grandfather and his grandmother.

Is there any way of doimng this online, preferably without having to pay for it?

You would need the names of both parties and the date and location of the marriage. Contact the marriage, deaths and births office in your region.

I think its €20 for them to send you a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I have the parties' names and the likely (but not definite) location, which is Waterford. I do not have more than an approximate date, which may put me in a chicken and egg situation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Mod: if we move this to the genealogy forum, we can help this person straight away!

Register copies for all Irish marriages in 1930s are freely available online, so we can pin down the exact marriage and then you can order a legal copy, if needed.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

You can search for the marriage record at irishgenealogy.ie for free.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Progress!

I went on here: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp and got a copy of the marriage record.

However, it seems likely that it will be necessary to apply to the relevant county council for a copy of the actual marriage certificate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If it's needed for any official purpose, you will have to get the official copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

www.certificates.ie

no way of getting it without paying unfortunatley

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Progress!

I went on here: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp and got a copy of the marriage record.

However, it seems likely that it will be necessary to apply to the relevant county council for a copy of the actual marriage certificate.

Just be aware that there will be no difference in the information.
    Certificates.ie is for legal copies only but you could also go to a local office of the GRO, not the local co.co.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement