Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAMSAT UK 16th Sept. 2011

• 29-08-2011 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just wondering are there many people here sitting the UK exam in a few weeks? I should be sitting it in London and am curious to find out what sort of preparation everyone is doing until then. Will I meet lots of Irish people? :)

This is my first time taking the exam and it's sort of on a whim to be honest, so I haven't done much studying. I've done all of the sample papers, all 11 of the ExamKrackers Verbal Reasoning tests and have practised some essays. I have a science background but I haven't put a lot of work into this section and I'm starting to worry!

What is everyone else doing at the moment in terms of last minute preparation? Has anyone who has taken the exam in London before got any advice for a first timer? I'm hoping to get lucky on this practice run and not have to sit the exam in March again :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 TheyAreComing

DoctorDre wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Just wondering are there many people here sitting the UK exam in a few weeks? I should be sitting it in London and am curious to find out what sort of preparation everyone is doing until then. Will I meet lots of Irish people? :)

This is my first time taking the exam and it's sort of on a whim to be honest, so I haven't done much studying. I've done all of the sample papers, all 11 of the ExamKrackers Verbal Reasoning tests and have practised some essays. I have a science background but I haven't put a lot of work into this section and I'm starting to worry!

What is everyone else doing at the moment in terms of last minute preparation? Has anyone who has taken the exam in London before got any advice for a first timer? I'm hoping to get lucky on this practice run and not have to sit the exam in March again :pac:

I'd say you can bank on quite a few Irish milling about the place alright! My score was nothing to write home about but from first and second-hand experience here's my 2 cents given you've a couple weeks left...

As regards doing it on a whim, many don't like to admit it but some people with the right aptitude (I'm not including myself in this group btw!) can rip the balls off this exam with a lot less preparation than others, so just remain positive about how it could go for you. Respect (and fear!) the exam (it is probably one of the toughest exams going) but if you're at absolute full-tilt on the day it can mean more than weeks of studying certain topics I feel.

For all three sections - practice papers, practice papers, PRACTICE PAPERS. Get your hands on as many as possible. Never did the Examkrackers but some other papers are too easy and some just way ridiculously off the mark for how the GAMSAT really is so be careful, especially for the science. The ACER ones are naturally the closest guide so question structure and format should be heeded. All I can remember is the Des O'Neill papers seemed close enough to ACER's.

Between now and the exam you should be trying to fit in as many as humanly possible, especially given you've only a couple weeks left. Mimic exam conditions as closely as possible. Its all about super-tight time-keeping and endurance. This alone can get you there in Section 1. Section 2, make sure you've done a 5 minute essay plan, clear intro/thesis/antithesis/synthesis format and (try) sound as informed and considered as possible - I highly recommend TED.com to cram in some interesting arguments and bright ideas worth listening to!

Section 3 is without doubt the trickiest and for many questions you might be lost without prior knowledge, but so many can be worked out given the information provided if you're quick enough. Its hard to recommend certain topics at the expense of others but what kind of science background do you have??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭DoctorDre

Thanks for that! I have a degree in Biochemistry so I should be reasonably set to answer the biology questions and I'd know some basic chemistry but I'll need to do a lot of revision before the exam. No physics knowledge at all :eek: The science section doesn't seem to require much previous knowledge from what I've been seeing looking at the papers. I've been doing ok just using the information in the passages. I am fully expecting to have to re-sit the exam in March though at this stage!

Ha, Biochem is my background too, can't say it helped a whole lot but it does all depends on the individual I suppose!

Yeah see the thing is obviously prior knowledge can help breeze through certain questions, which is obviously golden for time and confidence in that section. Particularly section 3 can throw up absolutely manky questions and if the concept if fairly foreign it can mess with your head. In my case the less said about Physics the better (zero prior knowledge and was no better off for any study) but if you can get a grip on the guts of Organic Chem and are well enough versed in the Inorganic Chem calculation type questions you should be alright.

As I've said though try take the exam seriously as possible, of course you've got March as a backup but many surprise themselves, plus its a golden chance a never having to the f*cker again!

Best o'luck with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭lonelywanderer

Hi Dr. Dre, (that sounded weird)

I'm doing it in London too on the 16th and like you haven't done much preparation for it! Obviously I can't give you much advice given that I'm in the same boat as you but I might see you over there?

What I can tell you is that the general consensus is that Irish students tend to do better in the London exam. There are claims that this is due to Irish students being of a generally higher standard and therefore coming out on top in curves over there. Seems like hearsay to me but I do actually know someone whose experience backs up the claim! A girl from my course (Comm int UCD) did the GAMSATs in both London and the UK last year and got 56 in London after doing it on a whim like us, and then after grueling study for 5 months only got 57 in the Dublin version! This has scared the ****e out of me to be honest! Seems like we've a much better chance in this one really so might as well give it our best til then and see what happens. If you manage to pull a 63+ out of the exam (results out in November) you could definitely avoid doing the Dublin exam which would be sweet! 60, while great, would be a killer result in a way because who knows what'll happen with the cutoffs next year... they were ridiculously low this year in fairness!

For the next 5 days or so I'm doing exam days, i.e. ozimed practice papers in order from S1 to S3 with the same breaks as you get on the day etc. I'm very weak in the science, and to be honest I'm worried that ozimed are a much lower standard than the actual exam...

There is a meetup group for the Dublin exam in March that you could join!

Here's the link http://www.meetup.com/GAMSAT-Study-Group-Dublin/events/27929541/?a=ea1.2_grp&rv=ea1.2

Best of luck, if you reply in this thread I'll see it and we could meet up on the day in London possibly? Pretend we're not loners!

What I can tell you is that the general consensus is that Irish students tend to do better in the London exam. There are claims that this is due to Irish students being of a generally higher standard and therefore coming out on top in curves over there.

Sorry just have to nip this in the bud in case anyone is actually spouting this stuff as truth... Firstly, Irish are definitely not of a higher standard.

I think the simple answer is that due to the much larger numbers (and possibly, more UK students of a higher standard) sitting GAMSAT UK, scores do not translate for percentile curves for GAMSAT Ireland (but are somehow allowed to). For example an score of 62 in the UK last September the 84th percentile of exam takers whereas applying to the CAO with that score will bring you up to about the 94th percentile for GAMSAT Ireland, which guarantees a place anywhere you wanted. There seems to be a percentile increase of about 10 across the board!

So 'high' scores here can translate to borderline scores for applicants to UK universities.

Plus (and this may be fuzzy logic), the scale for Ireland only went up to 76, whereas the UK went up to 86, so I'm guessing these are indications of the highest scores obtained.

I'd be happy to be corrected on any of this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭lonelywanderer

Right so!

I was skeptical myself as to the whole 'Irish students seem to be a higher standard' line. But if I understand you correctly, the fact remains that in general (irish) students do better in the London version of the exam. Is that the case?

Obviously might as well give it a 100% either way but it's a bit annoying that it isn't the other way around and we could have more studying time for the 'easier' exam!

But if I understand you correctly, the fact remains that in general (irish) students do better in the London version of the exam. Is that the case?

Well they don't do better in the actual exam on the day compared to anyone else, but yep their UK score seems to ultimately be worth more when applying in Ireland! So yeah, seems a lot more worthwhile doing decently in the UK as a 'decent' score will be worth more on the GAMSAT Ireland curves. Even if you performed the about the same in March you'd probably be in a lower percentile.

Anyway I wouldn't think about this too much at the minute, just concentrate on giving the exam a few shlaps. Best o'luck with it!

Advertisement