Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run the Line 2018 in aid of Dublin / Wicklow Mountain Rescue

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rxchxy

I run some variation of this route every week or so in shorts. Few prickly sections on the legs but nothing major, not enough to make me wear leggings. Never got any ticks up there either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Best of luck to everyone..safe round

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Shorts for me. Only 50-100 cases of Lyme per year in Ireland, and winter is not the riskiest time of year. Only doing short course, and don’t recall a lot of risky territory last year. I am familiar with ticks from other activities, and as long as you remove them within a day you’ll be grand anyway. ;) Mudslides might be a bigger risk after today’s rain. :eek:

Looking forward to it, although just jogging around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Are many of ye going to do the 10am start on the long course? Just wondering as it would handy to be finished earlier but won't bother if I'll be on my own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

I'm planning the 10am start as built for comfort.... Etc

Cant remember from last year, but is there bag drop beside café?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

3rd time entering but 1st time actually getting to it. Run bits and pieces of it a good bit but altogether It's some route. Absolutely stunning and keeps you 100% on your toes. Really enjoyable and extremely well organised so thanks to everyone involved. Hope the girl who was injured on the decent from the fairy castle is ok..looked like a bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,913 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Looks like nearly 2/3 of the field did the early start. Which is a bit crazy. For IMRA races they had a rule that only people who needed the early start as they'd be finishing back of the field could do the early start.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great event today. Just did the short course, managed to improve on last years time and place well. 800 or so runners which is a great turn-out!

A couple of suggested improvements...
    They need to do something about the Long Course Early Starters. Too many taking advantage of it that don't need it. Early start (in IMRA races) tends to be those that really need it for ability reasons. If you are a decent runner you should run in the main field as otherwise you are getting an unfair advantage of an uncongested, less trampled course.
    They should also denote long and short course athletes in some way so runners can see who is around them for their race. It wasn't an issue for me in the Short Course but Long Course guys had to contend with early start long coursers and short coursers.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭summit2summit

Girls and Guys, thanks a million for your support today. Having that many people turn up is truly humbling.

Noted on the last two points about the early starts. Something for the 2019 committee to look at for sure.

As always, keep the feedback flowing, good, bad, ****, great or whatever.We thoroughly review it all at the start of planing for the next event.

If you would like to comment privately feel free to mail gareth little at dwmrt dot ie

Welll done today all, you all did extraordinary well

Cheers

S2S & DWMRT

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

With regard to the starts, some people even early started the short course, which is just completely taking the pi$$. There was a guy trying to finish against the tide of short course starters going through the gates at the first forest. He seemed to be arguing with the marshall for prioritising the outgoing runners and not letting him through. :rolleyes: And there was another descending runner/bib not far behind him. Don’t understand this at all - if someone wants to race themselves or the course with no field, the mountain is always available. Why would anyone choose to finish against the starters, unless they just didn’t think it through (or thought they could break 1:15)?

Huge respect for the Mountain Rescue people marshalling. Great job. If you’re going to fall and/or get injured, you can’t possibly be in better hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Girls and Guys, thanks a million for your support today. Having that many people turn up is truly humbling.

Noted on the last two points about the early starts. Something for the 2019 committee to look at for sure.

As always, keep the feedback flowing, good, bad, ****, great or whatever.We thoroughly review it all at the start of planing for the next event.

If you would like to comment privately feel free to mail gareth little at dwmrt dot ie

Cheers

S2S & DWMRT

Another great event... and a big thank you to all at Dublin & Wicklow Mountain Rescue... you guys are heroes week in, week out.

I loved that every marshal on the course (I did the short course slowly) thanked participants for their support, such a nice touch.

I also briefly saw the inside of the medical tent due to a minor fall and bloody knee, and the patience and expert care there was fantastic.

Only gripe is that the weather forecast was wrong, it wasn't supposed to still be raining!!! (Oh wait, this is Ireland, never mind)

Have to say year after year great event thanks to organisers...tea, coffee, soup and muffins and all..but the MEDAL was the icing on the cake...nearly forgive youse for not getting Art O Neil ;)
    Mate talked me into the short course as havent been running in a few weeks and have to say loved it..a bit of rust but went flat out for as long as the lungs allowed...running mojo found again thanks DWMRT...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

Second time staring, first time finishing for me :) Was taking part with a friend of mine who finished 5 mins faster than last year & more importantly didn't look like death on legs at the end!

After last year when I ended up in the medical tent was a bit nervous so took it very handy all way round as am down to 9 working fingers after last year's tumble so need to take care of the remainder! Really enjoyed it, very well marshalled all the way round. As one of the others taking part said to me if you have to have an accident this is the event to have it at.

Thanks a lot to DWMRT!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 james quinn

Did the long last year and switched to the short this year as it was more akin to to the IMRA distances i want to race next year. Have to say it was extremely well run. Great effort into detail put in by the organizers and would be hard to fault anything. I'm delighted the turn out of numbers was so good and it gives credit to the event.

On the start times, i was at the event early to take in the atmosphere, when i saw the huge field taking the early start for the long i was surprised. I wonder if as many runners had actually planned on going early but when the rain was flowing and it was relatively cold did people decide they wanted to just start and get on with it??

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Sub430

Stanleigh wrote: »
    Interested in doing this one, but wonder how difficult it will really be... I've done a loads of road running, but haven't ventured to trail running just yet.

My first time to try trail running and I have to say it was effing brilliant, totally different buzz to road running where you focus on pace, this was about concentrating on footfall so you didn't go arse over tit.

Running downhill, having to concentrate on every step didn't give you a chance to feel tired. I had to walk the steep uphills on the long course, but I'll definitely be back next year with more training in the legs.

3 hours on the road can drag, 3 hours in the hills flies by

As other posters have said, the marshals were brilliant, friendly and encouraging. Anyone reading this and tempted to try it next year, go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

My fifth Run the Line, a race that keeps getting better. As a mountain runner it’s a great chance to give back to those who keep you safe on the hills. I started well and then had a slip on the descent into tibradden but a soft landing. Started to get calf cramps all the way back over fairy castle. Passed out lots of short courses on the bone shaker, and then I slip on the mud, calf went into a knot and those short courses ran by me while I was on my back massaging the calf :(... somehow still got in under 3 hrs. It was a bit too close to the marathon. Now to recover for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

Cheers

S2S & DWMRT

Again, well done on a superb day. I'm guessing that 800+ runners makes it by far the biggest trails race in Ireland.

As usual I thoroughly enjoyed the race. Great course.

I'd suggest writing a letter for the Irish Mountain Log to address the sabotage issue. I'd guess an over-zealous busybody hillwalker taking umbridge at markers out on his trail. Maybe publicising that he endangered a mountain rescue fund raiser might make him cop on if he reads it.

There were a few changes since I last ran 2 or 3 years ago. The only one I'd quibble with was taking out the fun technical off track section in Pine Forest and sending us down the coilte trail instead. I could forsee an issue with using the same narrow section in and out to the Tibradden car park, but had no problems there on the day this year, as it happens.

My only real suggestion for improvement would be age category prizes... give us auld fellas a reason to knock lumps out of each other :)

Enduro wrote: »
    Again, well done on a superb day. I'm guessing that 800+ runners makes it by far the biggest trails race in Ireland.

As usual I thoroughly enjoyed the race. Great course.

I'd suggest writing a letter for the Irish Mountain Log to address the sabotage issue. I'd guess an over-zealous busybody hillwalker taking umbridge at markers out on his trail. Maybe publicising that he endangered a mountain rescue fund raiser might make him cop on if he reads it.

There were a few changes since I last ran 2 or 3 years ago. The only one I'd quibble with was taking out the fun technical off track section in Pine Forest and sending us down the coilte trail instead. I could forsee an issue with using the same narrow section in and out to the Tibradden car park, but had no problems there on the day this year, as it happens.

My only real suggestion for improvement would be age category prizes... give us auld fellas a reason to knock lumps out of each other :)

Newbie Auld lads and Elite Auld lads I hope is what you mean!!;):D

Advertisement