Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Another season were this club belongs and hopefully many many more years to come.

Reported

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Another season were this club belongs and hopefully many many more years to come.

Ah bless, a Liverpool fan. Presumably next season is going to be your year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Any thoughts on summer targets? Would someone like Jordan Rhodes be worth getting in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭championc

leakyboots wrote:
    Any thoughts on summer targets? Would someone like Jordan Rhodes be worth getting in?

The best option is to keep the nucleus of this squad together. We clearly need another striker and preferably a proven one. Erwin can't be any worse than Antonsson.

Midfield was where we lost massively. We need mids who are consistent, week in, week out. Hernandez for me is not in that category. O'Kane appeared to run the show against Wigan. We need to find the mids who pick themselves week in, week out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

leakyboots wrote: »

Someone more like Matt Richie or Anthony Knockaert who will chip in with goals and assists from the 3 behind Wood. Maybe Aiden McGeady could be that man if Monk could get as much out of him as Grayson did this year. Vital to keep Wood and Jansson and hopefully add Bartley or someone as good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Vital to keep Wood and Jansson and hopefully add Bartley or someone as good.

First and foremost, Monk, then these, that is a good start. After that we have a foundation to build on so midfield as championc said. I think Bridcutt and Viera can form the center mid partnership next season with O'Kane as backup but out wide we are weak and someone to play the 10 role as well (Hernandez is certainly worth keeping but he is inconsistent).
    McGeady is a good call. I'd love to see us try and bring Howson back too.

Bridcutt is too defensively minded for my liking. You never see him making surging runs forward like O'Kane can do.

O'Kane and Howson would be some partnership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Beeby Maiden Auction Fillies' Stakes (Plus 10) (Class 5)
    5f, Good to Firm (Good in places)
    15 Runners
    Winner?3,234.002nd?962.003rd?481.004th?240.00
    Surface: Turf
    Weighed In
    RacecardResult
    Winning time:1m 1.59sOff time:18:02:00
    1st

Marchingontogether

14/1
    T: I FurtadoJ: S De Sousa Mid-division, ridden and headway over 1f out, led inside final furlong, kept on well

I agree with Ceist_Beag, keeping Monk is by far the most important thing, otherwise all the work that's been put in this season will go to waste next season. Apparently, should he stay on, Monk's no. 1 transfer priority is signing Bartley permanently. Unfortunately that's out of his hands and will ultimately depend on whether or now Swansea can avoid relegation. If they go down there's not a hope in hell that he'll be playing at Elland Road next season. After that we definitely need another striker and a goalscoring midfielder. Ideally I'd like to see another creative player, whether in midfield or out wide. We had far too many players who should have been able to offer more creativity than they ultimately did, which meant we struggled to move up a gear when we weren't playing all that well.

It's more likely that Swansea staying up or not will determine the cost to buy him

• Advertisement

If they go down I'd imagine they'll keep him and offload a more expensive player that played for them this season, with the added benefit to them that he's proven at Championship level.

He's made it very clear that he absolutely wants to stay if Monk stays. Or to be more exact, i think that he said that he wouldn't stay if Monk wasn't staying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,478 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Cellino be gone by end of month

He's not likely to say anything different. That's just the first stake in the sand to mark their position. He'll go once the money is right. They'll know damn well that his heart will no longer be in Wales. He moved to Leeds and obviously likes it up there

championc wrote: »
    He's not likely to say anything different. That's just the first stake in the sand to mark their position. He'll go once the money is right. They'll know damn well that his heart will no longer be in Wales. He moved to Leeds and obviously likes it up there

Hopefully! Them staying in Prem would help.

Given that Cellino was in charge last year, i'd have thought that Bartley was taken on the understanding that it was a loan with an option of being permanent, which i think is the case for all of our loanees

championc wrote: »
    Given that Cellino was in charge last year, i'd have thought that Bartley was taken on the understanding that it was a loan with an option of being permanent, which i think is the case for all of our loanees

If that was the case I'd imagine we'd have heard about it by now. This one looks like a straight loan, but hopefully a deal can be done, maybe using the money we're likely to get for Charlie Taylor.

I think Bartley is the one player they should be prepared to pay above the odds for if needed so as championc says, I think Clement knows this and is making a first move in negotiations. He's probably looking at the ?3.5m agreed for Jansson and using this as a guide to what he will be looking for (Jansson got most of the plaudits but I think most people feel Bartley is just as important).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Bartley has stated he will only move to Leeds permanently if Monk is given another contract. That should be priority number one. If we don't given Monk another deal it will be a crazy decision.

• Advertisement

Apparently Torino have complained to FIFA over a delay in Leeds paying the fee for Pontus. Leeds are maintaining that that the contract doesn't specify that payment has to be made before July when he signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

I wonder are they trying to find ways to pull out of the deal knowing they could get more for the player from other clubs.

It kind of sounds that way all right, and hopefully that's all it is and that they don't have a leg to stand on.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    He's probably looking at the ?3.5m agreed for Jansson and using this as a guide to what he will be looking for (Jansson got most of the plaudits but I think most people feel Bartley is just as important).

I prefer Bartley. Jansson gets the adulation but think Bartley calmer, less prone to the rush of blood to the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

I prefer Bartley. Jansson gets the adulation but think Bartley calmer, less prone to the rush of blood to the head.

I love Janssons attitude but if we could only have one of the two Id take Bartley. I think he is a team player and a potential captain too. A real goal threat also which is a bonus.

Based on the evidence of this season the problem with Jansson is the number of bookings he picks up. You have to factor in that he's going to be suspended for a good few games and you'll need decent cover. At least you could rely on Bartley being there while Jansson is out.

Zaph wrote:
    Based on the evidence of this season the problem with Jansson is the number of bookings he picks up. You have to factor in that he's going to be suspended for a good few games and you'll need decent cover. At least you could rely on Bartley being there while Jansson is out.

I wouldn't fully agree. He got a least three for argueing about stuff which was nothing to do with him initially.

And when he was then walking the tightrope, he went a fair few games without picking up any.

So he could clearly control himself when he needed to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Charlie Taylor given 2-year deal an Harnandez a 1-year extension.

I believe Taylor was offered the deal to ensure that the club will still be entitled to a payment when he leaves if it goes to a tribunal. He's still expected to go and West Brom are favorites, although they want to do a deal with a transfer fee rather than going to a tribunal.

• Advertisement

Yeah, doesn't sound like much chance Taylor will actually sign that deal so looks like another case of playing the transfer game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Rumoured to be leading the chase for Howson for £4 million

Would love to see him back, goals from midfield badly needed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

I'd love to see him back but not at that price , 4m is bonkers.

Hughton said today Towell will be leaving Brighton on loan, I would love us to take a punt on him

I said it a few weeks back, absolutely would love to see Howson back and I think he would love to be back. As stryker said, €4m is too much so I would expect a bit of negotiation on the price but that said if we end up getting the same money for Charlie Taylor from West Brom then I know which of the two I'd prefer to have!

aye for a player turning 29 in a few days, 4 mill is probably a little steep

Phil Hay also tweeted that the club are expected to pursue permanent deals for Bartley and Sacko

Bartley is a no-brainer, get it sorted asap now that Swansea are staying up

Sacko himself is a bit of a no-brainer though

Good interview with Alan Maybury about his time at Leeds here

• Advertisement

One of the British Sunday tabloids reported that Leeds had turned down an offer from Norwich for Garry Monk. This is after Phil Hay apparently tweeted that the club was going to offer Monk a three year extension to good contract. This is all very positive if it's true, losing Monk would be a disaster imo.

Zaph wrote:
    One of the British Sunday tabloids reported that Leeds had turned down an offer from Norwich for Garry Monk. This is after Phil Hay apparently tweeted that the club was going to offer Monk a three year extension to good contract. This is all very positive if it's true, losing Monk would be a disaster imo.

Given that there's every likelihood of the nucleus of this years squad being together next season, it's even more important to have the same boss too.

Just confirmed that Radrizzani now owns 100% of the club and is the new chairman.

BOOM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Cellino gone. Hallelujiah. Has sold his 50% share to that other Italian shareholder. On SS News.

And good news, Monk's contract is being extended by 12 months

• Advertisement

I like that Radrizzani so far is being referred to as chairman, no more of this president nonsense that Cellino insisted upon.

I'm still highly suspicious. Italian billionaire owner sells to Italian buddy with what seems like a lot less money, just as the club makes its first effort at finishing near the top end of the table. The timing, the buyer, hmmmmmmmmmmm.

It seems to me that any perceived closeness with Cellino is just Radrizzani playing up to his ego (publicly praising him etc) to progress the deal

Probably best to treat any new owner with a hint of suspicion given recent history, though can't help but hope that this guy is the real deal

So what's on the wishlist?

- 3 year deals for Monk and co
    - Bartley on a permanent deal and 3-4 other decent signings (one LB, goalscoring midfielder, cover at CB at least)
    - ????
    - Profit

Promotion before profit.

If we get Bartley I'd be happy enough with the same CB cover as this year in Cooper and Ayling. Overdue a young CB coming thru the academy but no idea if there's anyone to watch for next year in terms of a breakthrough like Viera or Philips the last 2 years.

Had a look at Victor Orta's Middlesboro record of signings and doesn't look bad to me. He's supposed to be on his way in as techinical director to work with Monk on signings etc. http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/18-middlesbrough-signings-victor-orta-13037084

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭blaa85

Ronaldo Viera signs a 4-year contract. Delighted with that.

Flying out of the traps....AR has now said he wants to buy ER back (maybe by the end of the summer) and seems to have been working on it in the background already

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/leeds-united-radrizzani-wants-elland-road-buy-back-deal-by-the-end-of-the-summer-1-8561333

It's like deja vu all over again

Monk's 12-month extension to be triggered tomorrow as well

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Monk has resigned

Monk has resigned

I knew things were going too well. :(

****ing typical of this club. :mad:

Flying out of the traps...

And straight into a brick wall...

• Advertisement