Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

Barring a major collapse, we're simply too far behind the top 2 to hope for automatic promotion. So all thoughts must turn to playoffs, and doing enough to stay in. Because they take on a life of their own that never really follows the order in which teams finish, matters like injuries and form become far more important than position. We still have one big advantage...we have a manager who as a player experienced playoffs. The only other one near us with experience afaik is Carvarhal at Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Always liked Blackburn!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭tfer

Always liked Blackburn!:D
    Am liking Bristol City as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭championc

More incentive for us to step up tomorrow. It's not over till it's over.

Also, with Readings win, we need a win to put serious daylight between us and Wednesday and Fulham

WOW!!! Fulham 0-2 Wolves.

a095b62ba601cdf2e9b5ff3d0e9c8069_mm.gif

( I know McCarthy has moved on, but love this gif!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Cooper starts, Pontus on the bench :-/

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Cooper starts, Pontus on the bench :-/

Presumably to prevent him getting booked to avoid a 3 match ban.

Goooooaaallllll!!!!!! Chris Wood - who else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Zaph wrote: »
    Goooooaaallllll!!!!!! Chris Wood - who else?

Yeah he's been playing alright this season :pac:

And he makes it 2-0 from the spot :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

2 up!!! Guess who:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,479 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

2 up!!! Guess who:D

Berardi? :D

That's a massive win!

That was a good display today, the defence did better than I thought they would do without pontus and ayling, great battling performance. Am fecking delighted :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

A great 3 pts tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Trend Setter in Training

Play-offs should be secured now with other results too. Would be interesting if we could string off a few on the bounce, you never know in this league!

On a cold read, some odd comments from Monk on Pontus

Phil Hay‏ @PhilHayYEP
    Asked Monk why Jansson wasn't "right" for tonight's game. "Number one - I'll always do what I feel is best for the team." (1/2)

Phil Hay‏ @PhilHayYEP
    "That goes for who we're playing against, the set-up, but also the principles we have to follow on a daily basis." 2/2

Phil Hay‏ @PhilHayYEP
    Cryptic from Monk on Jansson which suggests Jansson has done something to put his place at risk. Interesting to see who plays at Reading.

After Hudders last night, there's absolutely no point in trying to predict what might happen in this league. The only thing, which is becoming clearer, is that the battling clubs at the bottom are very capable of battling and causing upsets.

In fact, from the form over the past 5 games, all teams bar Leeds and Blackburn (in 22nd), have lost at least 1 games and nobody lower than 12th has lost more than 2 of those 5. Take Wolves in 16th who have won their last 3. Of course, some of the bottom teams have won games and still find themselves down near the bottom so facing any teams in the bottom 9 have to be played with an amount of caution.

Nights like tonight should give the lads the belief to see the job through. However, weekends like this show how the final table is far from settled.

A game against Leeds is like boxing an expert middleweight, as much about stamina, footwork and game-management than power or punching ability. You know in advance they won’t be throwing haymakers at the first bell, but drop your guard and they'll punish you. Ultimately, though, they're trained to go the full 12 rounds. The longer the fight goes on, the more territorial they become and they begin to dominate the ring. With great conviction, they know the sheer clarity of their preparation gives them a huge advantage through the onset of fatigue.

From a FourFourTwo article on Monk not getting the recognition he deserves for this season. Nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

On a cold read, some odd comments from Monk on Pontus

Phil Hay‏ @PhilHayYEP
    Asked Monk why Jansson wasn't "right" for tonight's game. "Number one - I'll always do what I feel is best for the team." (1/2)

Phil Hay‏ @PhilHayYEP
    "That goes for who we're playing against, the set-up, but also the principles we have to follow on a daily basis." 2/2

Phil Hay‏ @PhilHayYEP
    Cryptic from Monk on Jansson which suggests Jansson has done something to put his place at risk. Interesting to see who plays at Reading.

Article by Phil on the same here. Looks like good management by Monk whatever happened but as Phil said, it's a good thing it came at no cost!

Chris Wood has been nominated for Championship POTY along with Dwight Gayle and Anthony Knockaert. Would be great to see him won it, but he's got tough competition, particularly from Knockaert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Chris Wood has been nominated for Championship POTY along with Dwight Gayle and Anthony Knockaert. Would be great to see him won it, but he's got tough competition, particularly from Knockaert.

Gives him 3 more games to bang in 20 goals before the Ceremony.

Not a bother to him.

Wood returning early from international duty after picking up a knock

Fingers crossed its not too serious, NZ coach said as much and that he was being extra cautious

Adam Pope tweeted earlier that it looks like there's a good chance he'll be fit for Saturday.

Wood returning early from international duty after picking up a knock

Fingers crossed its not too serious, NZ coach said as much and that he was being extra cautious
    Adam Pope tweeted earlier that it looks like there's a good chance he'll be fit for Saturday.

I wouldn't be Reading too much into it.

Boom, boom!! (I'll get me coat...)

• Advertisement

/Sitebans NuckChorris1 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I Woodn't be Reading too much into it.

Boom, boom!! (I'll get me coat...)

ftfy

96th minute winner for Burton against Huddersfield, so a win this evening will put us third. The good news is that Wood is fit and starts.

Bollocks. Good finish though, to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Trying to follow game on the phone - no jansson again? See something on Twitter about a hamstring

• Advertisement

Yeah, he pulled out this morning although he wasn't starting, only on the bench.

Well that was disappointing. We lacked any sort of bite up front, so even though we were much improved after the break we never really troubled their keeper at all.

Didn't take our chances - Bartley, Pedrazza and Pablo all had decent opportunities in the first half.

Everything went wrong at the back for the goal - from an off balance Taylor header into danger, Cooper moving out of the way for whatever reason, and the shot going through Bartley's legs.

Thought we looked much better with Doukara on and holding up the ball. Except for the cross for Pedrazza's chance, Sacko didn't seem to do much else so would like to see Douk start on Tuesday.

Pontus conspicuous by his absence yet again. Monk might not have a choice but to bring him back in if Cooper is banned for that stamp. At least Ayling is back for Tuesday though

So Cooper now looking at a 4 game ban. Not the worst news with Jansson back. Ok, so Jansson walking a 3 game ban tightrope, Ayling could fill in and Berardi stay out wide.

Not ideal but keeps some form of strength at the back whatever happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Well f**k, 2 nil down at the end of the first half. Definite downward slope, hope we don't end up out of the playoffs.

I don't think there's a need to panic but we do need to get ourselves sorted

We're not in the most comfortable of places at half time...

EDIT. **** it. Lot of points gained by all the wrong people and Huddersfield still have 2 games in hand..

Bah

:(

By all accounts it could have been a lot worse tonight. Phil Hay tweeted that Rob Green was his man of the match by a mile. Makes you wonder what the rest of the defence were doing.

Preston on Saturday ...... Who are flying :-(

We could well find ourselves out of the playoff spots by Easter. Preston at home, then Newcastle away. We need to stop the slide quick and try and gain some momentum going into the playoffs or we're bunched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

This is worrying and I'm now seeing threats in our remaining fixtures that I hadn't seen before. Preston at home now is huge. To think that just two games ago I was hoping still for automatic promotion. Me, Leeds and delusion. I simply never learn my lessons.

Still in a good position and Fulham and Wednesday still have to play each other so lets not panic just yet. Monk had turned things around a few times this season so let's have faith in him doing it again. Can't see where from as we're not missing any players that would make a big difference. Biggest disappointment for me is the 3 behind Wood. Hernandez was awesome until he got the permanent move but I hope that's just me being cynical. Dallas/Pedrazza/Barrow/Doukara/Roofe haven't contributed enough at all recently and only Douks could be considered to be performing better than hoped. I'd nearly try Taylor on left wing and keep Berardi at LB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Cooper given a 6 game ban....seems excessive

Cooper given a 6 game ban....seems excessive

Very - Mings gets 5 game ban for stamping on the head and not accepting any liability, Grealish gets 3 game ban for stamping when not accepting any liability, and now Cooper gets 6 game ban despite accepting liability and accepting it was reckless (but not intentional)? Seems very unfair and you would wonder why any player would bother admitting anything in the future - seems you are better to never accept liability and fight any charges!

6 games, including last night, so should be available for playoffs should things somehow go our way.

it seems harsh , just watched it back there, didn't look malicious, just careless..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Wednesday have 4 home matches. Beating Preston is vital and Fulham tripping up in the run in - they have away matches at Huddersfield and SW.

* Horgan came on again for Preston. Don't know why we didn't take a 'free' punt on Horgan and Boyle. They mightn't get on every match but they sure have strengthened the bench at Preston. And Preston are looking at huge profit if they sell Horgan. Boyle would strengthen most defences. Solid.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Very - Mings gets 5 game ban for stamping on the head and not accepting any liability, Grealish gets 3 game ban for stamping when not accepting any liability, and now Cooper gets 6 game ban despite accepting liability and accepting it was reckless (but not intentional)? Seems very unfair and you would wonder why any player would bother admitting anything in the future - seems you are better to never accept liability and fight any charges!

To reply to my own post, it seems there is one extra game suspension for Cooper due to the fact it "includes the standard one additional match for it being his second dismissal of this season". So it seems 5 game ban for stamp to the head is the new standard going by that. Based on that it's probably hard to argue 6 game ban. He is a bit of a loose cannon though isn't he - hardly a game goes by where he hasn't done something that has you putting your head in your hands!

I for one don't know if I can handle the mental stress of the play-offs anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

joeysoap wrote: »
    Wednesday have 4 home matches. Beating Preston is vital and Fulham tripping up in the run in - they have away matches at Huddersfield and SW.

* Horgan came on again for Preston. Don't know why we didn't take a 'free' punt on Horgan and Boyle. They mightn't get on every match but they sure have strengthened the bench at Preston. And Preston are looking at huge profit if they sell Horgan. Boyle would strengthen most defences. Solid.

Horgan has played 15 games , starting 10 , the lads are defo not over there to strengthen the bench.

Totally agree though, Horgan is better than Barrow, Boyle is better than Cooper, Preston will probably make 5m selling Horgan on the a PL team in the next couple of years.

• Advertisement

I for one don't know if I can handle the mental stress of the play-offs anyways!

I for one don't know if I can handle the mental stress of missing out on the play-offs !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement