Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight Night MSG: December 14/15 on Eir Sports 2 @ 02:00

Options
  • 12-12-2019 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54,692 ✭✭✭✭

There seems to be nothing on this here really.

Big night for Ireland, when we consider all that went on in Rio.

Conlan v Nikitin over 10 rds. MC at 25-1 on and Nikitin at 10-1

Also have Crawford fighting another "nobody" for the WBO belt at 147

And, what looks to be the most competitive scrap, is at 135 where Richard Commey puts his IBF 135 lbs belt on the line vs undefeated Teofimo Lopez!

Eir Sports 2 are covering this from 02:00 hours Sunday morning.

Before this card, on Sky Sports action from 19:30 we have the Golden Contract 8 man LHW tournament.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Good job Eir for picking up this pretty decent card. Nikitin hasn't done anyhting yet as a pro so the fight kinda feels a bit premature. Im more interest in the other two bouts personally.

Not sure if the Brits have any way of watching. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,692 ✭✭✭✭walshb

For some reason I cannot edit my OP.

Eir Sports 1 it is on from 02:00 tomorrow morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Noel Murphy in now, getting beaten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Yep 98-92 x3 fair enough scores

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

5-1 Conlan. I’d seriously question if Conlan will ever win a legitimate world title

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

too feather fisted i feel.

Nice round that 2 of them went for it

8-2 Conlan for me

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    too feather fisted i feel.

100%. Looks like he doesn’t carry genuine KO power at this weight

yeah easy enough win but hard to see him going to the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Comfortable win tonight, who do they aim him at from here? The WBO champ on the books with Arum?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

How did one judge score that 100-90.

You just cant beat having that power like lopez has.

Comfortable win tonight, who do they aim him at from here? The WBO champ on the books with Arum?

Shakur Stevenson. 2 of them with pillow fists

Warrington would destroy Conlan with his work rate

The Mig wrote: »
    Warrington would destroy Conlan with his work rate

And “power.” He has just enough pop to hurt Conlan..

MC got the win..

I just still can’t see anything really good.

In a nutshell, everything is just too one-paced and one-dimensional.

His upper body movement and overall defense have improved...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭normanoffside

The Crawford fight was surprisingly both exciting and competitive. I get the feeling that crawford wasn't fully trained and when he started getting hit he just decided to go for the KO.

Lopez look great, with him and Haney there are now a couple of decent fights for Lomachenko next year.

Crawford looked a step slower....

He needs to fight someone. Simple as that. And all the promotional excuses need to be shelved...

Loma-Teo needs to happen soon...Haney out recovering from shoulder surgery. Looks like Luke Campbell will get another crack at a “world title” now....

So many fights just need to effing happen..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Crawford vs Mean Machine.

Only getting to this now! This promised to be better than the deflating night the previous saturday and for $56 I arrived in perfect time to see Cork fighter Noel Murphy in a 10 round super lightweight clash against a confident local Vargas.

From the start southpaw Murphy’s right hand was too low and while he was durable and brave he just didnt have the firepower to hurt Vargas but can be proud to be still there at the end as he got rocked repeatedly in the seventh. A good scrap in front of an impressive enough crowd but no complaints with the UD.

img-1815.jpg

img-1817.jpg

img-1820.jpg

Then redemption! A chance for Conlan to put this guy away and move on. I had watched the Olympic fight the night before and was still amazed at the first round scoring.

img-1822.jpg

img-1824.jpg

Nikitin while limited can cause trouble and is incredibly determined but Conlan deserved this even he fought within himself. Maybe everything surrounding this affected him which is only natural but the crowd were getting restless thinking there would be a quick revenge KO!

Almost straight away Conlan switched to southpaw and nothing much happened until Conlan shoved him to the canvas in the third.

Got the feeling that Conlan would step it up in the latter rounds as the Russin had never fought a full 10 rounds before but to be fair he was still there particularly in the eighth when they both traded with Conlan waving at the fans at the bell.

It was a confident display and while I thought the scoring was a wee bit generous this was one he needed to get out of the way. Whether he’s capable of stepping up in the fashion of the following fight remains to be seen.

img-1826.jpg

img-1827.jpg

img-1829.jpg

I was impressed with Conlan at the end as he was great with the locals at ringside and with the media. In today's landscape these skills are crucial.

Next up was Lopez v Commey. I had seen Lopez win on the undercard of the last Crawford fight here earlier in the year and was impressed that he was getting a World title shot in his 15th fight. But Lopez is a product of his age where getting viral is incredible important and his backflip celebration together with his strength and explosiveness made him a viable challenger.

The Ghanian entered with that Champion aura:

img-1833.jpg

And didn’t start too badly getting a rhythm going in the first. But in the second round Lopez connected with an absolute peach of a right hand that completely annihilated Commey. He tried to get up but his legs were absolute jelly and then obviously the taller fighter was unsteady and the inevitable happened. It was an incredible sight and a hell of a statement and Lopez is now legit.

Lomachenko was ringside and was in the ring after for a picture with the new Champion but there seemed to be no cordials as there was when Lopez gave Commey so much respect after.

IMG-1835.jpg

IMG-1840.jpg

This set up the main event beautifully and I wanted to see Crawford tested as last time Khan just quit.

IMG-1843-1.jpg

His opponent the Lithuanian Kavaliauskas’ nickname was apt as he connected with a great combination in the second and hurt him again in the third with a right that was incorrectly ruled a slip but Champions in any sport can get the benefit of the doubt. It was smart by Crawford as he was clearly hurt but wrapped his arms around his opponent as he fell so the ref could be excused for calling it a slip.

This seemed to be the wake up call as the Champ began to land more power in the following rounds with the end of the seventh seeing the Lithuanian floored with a crushing right. Crawford finished it in the ninth but he was given an excellent test by an unbeaten methodical hard puncher. Interesting that the KO came when he switched back from southpaw.

IMG-1847.jpg

IMG-1854-1.jpg

IMG-1857.jpg

Crawford is savage and is deservedly up there for pound for pound but the Spence clash has to happen as he needs a name on his resume.

A very good night of boxing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement