Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hygienist visit cancelled

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

Dav010 wrote: »
    To be fair, a few posters have been telling you to look into your PRSI entitlements. It came into effect 2 years ago, if eligible you are entitled to a free check up once per calendar year.

In relation to the scale and polish for €15, this is supra gingival staining and plaque only, if the Dentist/Hygienist has to clean the pockets under/between your teeth, then once per year you are entitled to their private fee, less €42. If you are seeing a Hygienist 4 times a year, that is not a scale & polish. Also, many Clinics only refer patients to their Hygienist for sub gingival cleans, the less invasive €15 S&Ps are often done by the Dentist at the end of your check up and only take a few mins as there is no cleaning out under gums.

Read this:

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Treatment-Benefit1.aspx

Just as a matter of interest op, on another thread looking for a Dentist who treats nervous patients, you said you would like one in Dublin but you are “flexible”, I thought there was no flexibility about time to do to Dentist?

ah apologies I am flexible if I can plan ahead and book time off work. I was scheduled to have my appointment tomorrow. I booked that time off work 4 months ago. They wanted me to come in and see dentist yesterday. I work Saturdays and cant get time off at such short notice. I am looking at possibly rescheduling for January/February now if I can get time off work and continue to save. Once I can book time off work in advance I am flexible enough i.e. I am putting in my leave requests for 2020 now.

Thanks for the above. I dont understand most of it but will read it. My dentist never did a scale and polish even when I visited them originally. Even if I went back to them now it would an additional 20 for extras no scale and polish. It must vary across dentists. Hope that makes sense. The dentist who did my wisdom teeth always did scale and polish for me....he sadly moved back to Scotland. Didnt realise it came back but only certain dentists must offer it. I am doing research now and contacting practices and not all offer it Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,070 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Why do you need to visit the Hygienist 4 times per year?

The person who has a light S&P which is what the €15 covers, are generally people who have a bit of tea/coffee staining and/or small plaque deposits. If you need deeper cleanings, which the number of visits suggests you do, then the S&P is not the treatment necessary, a deeper clean is required, hence the higher cost.

Yes, Clinics vary in policies and prices, some Clinics charge €15 even for the one off deep clean with a Hygienist, some do not offer the S&P option, if they don't clean under gum and plaque is left there, they leave themselves open to an accusation of negligence so they always clean down under gum/in pockets to be certain all bacterial plaque is removed. Most offer the S&P for €15 if done at time of check up, but this only applies if there is only staining removal/light scaling to be done. Don't assume that by going to another Clinic it will be any different than the place you have been, most if not all will insist that you have a yearly dental check up if you need Hygienist visits.

ah sorry its not 4 times a year...it was every 4 months. I posted earlier to explain....it is mostly due to my nerves my phobia. Was would normally be done at one appointment might take me two appointments. My first hygienist visit at my current practice too 2 visits..due to me freaking out. Nothing to do with teeth. Every 4 months instead of 6 just the whole thing is spread out for me.

When I first returned to the dentist after years of not attending I couldnt even do xrays. Too much for me. Im not someone who could sit through a dentist visit and a hygienist visit at the same time. I have left in tears and shaking before so I know my limits.

Generally my teeth are fine. I have been enjoying the hygienist which is weird even though at times it can be difficult. Last time was pretty bad during but once its over I am fine.

Hope that explains it.

I suppose my annoyance isnt even the money...I save up a little every month and have been booking my time off work. Its the expectation that I can get time off at such short notice and would have an extra 20 euro lying around to pay the dentist if they require xrays. I dont and cant. I also need new specs - but cant afford them either at the moment. Will have to save up and hopefully try and do it next year.

Im doing my research and now asking if they do the scale and polish thing. Most actually dont so you are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,070 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

ah sorry its not 4 times a year...it was every 4 months. I posted earlier to explain....it is mostly due to my nerves my phobia. Was would normally be done at one appointment might take me two appointments. My first hygienist visit at my current practice too 2 visits..due to me freaking out. Nothing to do with teeth. Every 4 months instead of 6 just the whole thing is spread out for me.

When I first returned to the dentist after years of not attending I couldnt even do xrays. Too much for me. Im not someone who could sit through a dentist visit and a hygienist visit at the same time. I have left in tears and shaking before so I know my limits.

Generally my teeth are fine. I have been enjoying the hygienist which is weird even though at times it can be difficult. Last time was pretty bad during but once its over I am fine.

Hope that explains it.

I suppose my annoyance isnt even the money...I save up a little every month and have been booking my time off work. Its the expectation that I can get time off at such short notice and would have an extra 20 euro lying around to pay the dentist if they require xrays. I dont and cant. I also need new specs - but cant afford them either at the moment. Will have to save up and hopefully try and do it next year.

Im doing my research and now asking if they do the scale and polish thing. Most actually dont so you are right.

If you are covered by PRSI, the good news is that the free check also covers 2 bitewing crays, the type used to check back teeth and bone levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

I also need new specs - but cant afford them either at the moment. Will have to save up and hopefully try and do it next year.
    The PRSI treatment benefit will also cover an eye test and basic glasses every two years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

wench wrote: »
    The PRSI treatment benefit will also cover an eye test and basic glasses every two years.

If anything we should pay more tax when benefits total about €100 a year for workers!

what I didnt know that about eye tests. Is that all opticians or only special opticians. I will hopefully save up enough for new glasses next year or maybe year after. Is there anything that covers the GP. My GP cost me €60 recently with medicine €90 on top. Thankfully my GP has a walk in service and are open late...no appointment required so I managed to get off work early and attend recently. Ended up costing me €150 into total. Wonderful.

Defo no xrays for me if I can help it. I will see how i feel next year if I can get an appointment suitable.

Sorry for moaning about my finances. I work full time but I am finding the dentist a luxury rather then a necessity. Rent and food are necessities. GP is necessary for bronchitis lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

what I didnt know that about eye tests. Is that all opticians or only special opticians. I will hopefully save up enough for new glasses next year or maybe year after. Is there anything that covers the GP. My GP cost me €60 recently with medicine €90 on top. Thankfully my GP has a walk in service and are open late...no appointment required so I managed to get off work early and attend recently. Ended up costing me €150 into total. Wonderful.

Defo no xrays for me if I can help it. I will see how i feel next year if I can get an appointment suitable.

Sorry for moaning about my finances. I work full time but I am finding the dentist a luxury rather then a necessity. Rent and food are necessities. GP is necessary for bronchitis lol.

It's all opticians but here's the twist.... Specsavers give free eye tests when you buy their glasses which are usually 2 for 1. And they're cheaper than a local optician who charges for the test plus frames plus lenses... So you actually gain little (nothing?) from using your PRSI credit.

Re gp.. If you know what's wrong or even if you don't, use an online gp. A lot cheaper. As for drugs.. Not sure of price differences but try to shop around. Go generic. Ask for cheaper, alternative treatments. Maybe even pick up the prescription abroad.

Or avoid gp together.. May be a case of better ventilating your home, avoiding certain foods, etc

Way OT for a dentist forum but you did ask

super thanks. Ive had pneumonia before so have to be careful with bronchitis

Cool one thing at a time.

Finding a new dentist

Advertisement