Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

They sang that more than once and for more than 20 seconds; I'm sure there's recordings of the match that will back me up.
    But you are right that they have been loyal and uplifting for the team and most of the chanting is fantastic; when I hear One Step Beyond I laugh and think it will be great to hear these lads in Tallaght and Cork etc next year...and then they go and sour it all by singing "Fcuk you Wexford".
    The abuse thrown by opposing fans is predictable, childish, brainless and a sign of jealousy; our fans don't have to be the same.
    Rise above it, show that we're better than that, show a little class.
    Bottom line is I'm as entitled to follow the Blues as the next man/woman/child but "Fcuk you Wexford" in Ferrycarraig or Fcuk you Cobh" on Facebook doesn't represent me.
    I'm sure the club want more returning fans even if you don't - listening to that sh1t doesn't help.

You actually make a few god points but then go and spoil at the end by resorting to foul language yourself!!(joking btw)

Like I said it's one chant, you'd hear far worse walking down the street but you are entitled to your opinion but in general they've been praised everywhere for their behaviour except for the idiot who ran onto the pitch at the end - 2nd time he's done it there, stewards handled that brilliantly by ignoring him and he looked a proper fool climbing back over the barrier when he got no reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Congratulations Blues! Well deserved and kept focused all the while Cobh were trying to chase us down. Cant wait for Premier football in the RSC.
    Just a small gripe; why do the Block E boys need to chant "Fcuk you Wexford' in Ferrycarraig? It's great to have the atmosphere created by the constant singing and chanting - must be worth a point per match. But you don't have to slag the opposition like that to support your team, do you? What have Wexford done to Waterford??? It's hardly Liverpool v Man. U.
    Show a bit of class lads.

They sing that every game, they just change the teams name obviously. Don't really agree with it myself but as things go it's a very small gripe. That's the worst thing they chant and to be fair if that's it we have nothing to give out about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

They sang that more than once and for more than 20 seconds; I'm sure there's recordings of the match that will back me up.
    But you are right that they have been loyal and uplifting for the team and most of the chanting is fantastic; when I hear One Step Beyond I laugh and think it will be great to hear these lads in Tallaght and Cork etc next year...and then they go and sour it all by singing "Fcuk you Wexford".
    The abuse thrown by opposing fans is predictable, childish, brainless and a sign of jealousy; our fans don't have to be the same.
    Rise above it, show that we're better than that, show a little class.
    Bottom line is I'm as entitled to follow the Blues as the next man/woman/child but "Fcuk you Wexford" in Ferrycarraig or Fcuk you Cobh" on Facebook doesn't represent me.
    I'm sure the club want more returning fans even if you don't - listening to that sh1t doesn't help.

Couldn't agree more...obviously I know its a football environment so you expect the language to be a bit on the industrial side but chants that just slag off other team, never fan of that,.doesn't encourage a parent to bring their kid down there, its not the language but the confrontational tone of it.
    Obviously, there would be zero atmosphere down there without block e lads, everyone recognises that too.
    As dunmore roader said,we can be better than that, agree with smell the glove too, its not a major thing but its a thing.delighted we're up, looking forward to Friday.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more...obviously I know its a football environment so you expect the language to be a bit on the industrial side but chants that just slag off other team, never fan of that,.doesn't encourage a parent to bring their kid down there, its not the language but the confrontational tone of it.
    Obviously, there would be zero atmosphere down there without block e lads, everyone recognises that too.
    As dunmore roader said,we can be better than that, agree with smell the glove too, its not a major thing but its a thing.delighted we're up, looking forward to Friday.

Well lads, all I'll say if this chant is causing you offence it's nothing compared to what's going to be sung out there next season when we have the likes of Rovers, Dundalk, Cork City fans visiting etc.

The Block E Boys are a decent bunch of lads in the main but chants are part and parcel of the the game. I'm not in the Block E section by the way, but I've being going to matches for the past 47 years. I remember back in the 70's and late 80's when there was a hooligan problem attached to the club - Incihicore comes to mind, the Athlone bus being attacked on the bridge, Rovers fans running riot.

This still happens here - just watch You Tube.

The problem is that unfortunately there's a danger that others will try attach themselves to the lads or even form another group- we got a glimpse of that after the Shels cup game.

All I'm saying is, yeah the chant might be unnecessary but it's not at the top end of the offensive scale

I've no doubt the club and Gardai will be prepared for next season in regard to visiting fans - but given how open the RSC is, it's going to be hard to police.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,894 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Well lads, all I'll say if this chant is causing you offence it's nothing compared to what's going to be sung out there next season when we have the likes of Rovers, Dundalk, Cork City fans visiting etc.

The Block E Boys are a decent bunch of lads in the main but chants are part and parcel of the the game. I'm not in the Block E section by the way, but I've being going to matches for the past 47 years. I remember back in the 70's and late 80's when there was a hooligan problem attached to the club - Incihicore comes to mind, the Athlone bus being attacked on the bridge, Rovers fans running riot.

This still happens here - just watch You Tube.

The problem is that unfortunately there's a danger that others will try attach themselves to the lads or even form another group- we got a glimpse of that after the Shels cup game.

All I'm saying is, yeah the chant might be unnecessary but it's not at the top end of the offensive scale

I've no doubt the club and Gardai will be prepared for next season in regard to visiting fans - but given how open the RSC is, it's going to be hard to police.

My father went to a lot away games in the 70's and 80's and said the worse crowds were Rovers and Limerick but all clubs have thee fare share of *****. I think we played someone like linfield in Europe in the 80s and they caused war out in Kilcohn. It's going to great to see big teams return here and if we build a good squad we could be playing in Europe in the coming years

I remember a few years we played Bohs in the league cup final down here and there crowd looked very rough (some lad was wearing a gas mask ???) but I think there was very min trouble

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    My father went to a lot away games in the 70's and 80's and said the worse crowds were Rovers and Limerick but all clubs have thee fare share of *****. I think we played someone like linfield in Europe in the 80s and they caused war out in Kilcohn. It's going to great to see big teams return here and if we build a good squad we could be playing in Europe in the coming years

I remember a few years we played Bohs in the league cup final down here and there crowd looked very rough (some lad was wearing a gas mask ???) but I think there was very min trouble

Yeah, remember that, I'm not trying to scare people either. The club will be all over this and any troublemakers will be quickly dealt with.

I wouldn't worry about bringing kids either.

It's just success will bring other issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I used to go myself in the 70's and 80's. I got disillusioned after we lost to Rovers in the '86 FA Cup, mostly because it was the beginning of short-term cash ruining the continuity of teams. Basically the same 11 fellas won the league every year in the 80's. Sometimes they were playing for Rovers, other times it was Shelbourne or St Pats, whoever was paying the biggest signing on bonus. At the same time, Kilkenny (EMFA first off) came into the league and we used to swop players with them every second season. It became a bit of a joke to be honest and I decided to find alternative entertainment.

The violence was fairly full-on at times too. Limerick in Market's Field and Rovers home and away were definitely the worst with Dundalk not far behind. I always remember Declan Lynch's article about Limerick as being the only hooligans in history to have Cavalry!

Hopefully the higher profile will bring back the good times and there will be the sponsorship and gate receipts to hang on to players from year to year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Great to have Premier Division football back in Waterford after 10 long years!!

Hopefully the city will get behind the Blues and fill the RSC this Friday night where they'll be presented with the trophy.

C'mon the Blues!

blue-army wrote: »
    Great to have Premier Division football back in Waterford after 10 long years!!

Hopefully the city will get behind the Blues and fill the RSC this Friday night where they'll be presented with the trophy.

C'mon the Blues!

Yeah, attendance needs to up a bit to make club sustainable I'd say. There's 4 (premier team,19,17,15) teams there which need our support.get your season ticket, nice little present to yourself when it comes out near Christmas time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Who or what are the block e boys :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Who or what are the block e boys :confused:

The singing section in the RSC, plenty of die hard Waterford fans in there too, they've been supporting the club through thick and thin over the last few years.

He was wearing a gas mask because Bohs fans came in fancy dress.
    Not joking either.

It would be great to get 2000+ there tomorrow night all..spread the word folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Fantastic night at the RSC last night, over 2,500 turned up. And the Blues even got a late winner to secure the appropriate result. Very interesting to hear the owner talk of European football in the near future, WLR were reporting that the intention is for the squad to be full time next season in the Premier Division. Huge ambitions for the club, cant wait for next season already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ah now. European football? First thing any new owner should do is keep quiet and let the results speak for themselves. No point setting targets like that, not when the likes of Cork and Dundlak plus the big Dublin sides are in a so much better starting position.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Ah now. European football? First thing any new owner should do is keep quiet and let the results speak for themselves. No point setting targets like that, not when the likes of Cork and Dundlak plus the big Dublin sides are in a so much better starting position.
    Nothing wrong with ambition. If they are to be full time and survive in the top division, they'll need new players. If you want to attract quality additions, you need to set your stall out. You'll attract a better class of player if you aim for the top and say so than if you announce that you're hoping that you might finish mid table.

Blues U17 team won the cup final today as well, beat Sligo 4-2, great weekend for the club. 2 trophies in 2 days

Believe me they will be making a big push for Europe next year. Lee Power will invest in the squad big time. He puts his money where his mouth is. Hopefully the public will buy into it if we get results and swell the RSC. Also you would hope that the business community of Waterford will get behind it financially through sponsorship and season tickets etc. He's playing his part, over to the community to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Believe me they will be making a big push for Europe next year. Lee Power will invest in the squad big time. He puts his money where his mouth is. Hopefully the public will buy into it if we get results and swell the RSC. Also you would hope that the business community of Waterford will get behind it financially through sponsorship and season tickets etc. He's playing his part, over to the community to do the same.

And Europe should be achievable for them. If Dundalk and Sligo can do it, there's no reason why Waterford can't. Provided they get the necessary investment of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭billywilly

the Blues are back yeehaaaaa

• Advertisement

Win the Fai Cup and you're in Europe
    ???

I'd aim for that and a top 5 finish. It's going to be a lot harder there are very good teams in the Premier Division

Lots of new blood will be needed by us

nice too see 2 former Waterford United players in the Irish squad tonight Daryl Murphy and Seanie Mcguire. Although it was a while ago since Murphy played here

nice too see 2 former Waterford United players in the Irish squad tonight Daryl Murphy and Seanie Mcguire. Although it was a while ago since Murphy played here

Delighted to see Murphy score two

If the rumours locally are true then we may see Daryl Murphy in a Blues shirt again. Apparently he is keen to move home with his family at some stage. Would be a huge boost to the club to sign a player like him

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    If the rumours locally are true then we may see Daryl Murphy in a Blues shirt again. Apparently he is keen to move home with his family at some stage. Would be a huge boost to the club to sign a player like him

He’s just signed a 3 year contract with Nottingham Forest, in the Ireland squad and playing regularly. It won’t be anytime soon if he does.

cococoady wrote: »
    He’s just signed a 3 year contract with Nottingham Forest, in the Ireland squad and playing regularly. It won’t be anytime soon if he does.

A 3 year contract? I didnt realise that, was hoping he might join next summer! Very good start to the season for him in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭south

Deisegodeo wrote: »

He's building a house here so that's probably what started these rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

When are the season tickets going on sale

When are the season tickets going on sale

Won't be until the fixtures are out I'd imagine. There will only be ten teams in the premier next season so we will have either 13 or 14 home games. Guess they will have to wait to see before deciding on a price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Won't be until the fixtures are out I'd imagine. There will only be ten teams in the premier next season so we will have either 13 or 14 home games. Guess they will have to wait to see before deciding on a price.

Is it three rounds of matches? I kind of presumed it would be four, 36 matches. They're playing 33 this year.

Advertisement