Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Death Stranding

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,225 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I pretty much swore off getting Collector's Editions of games that come with a bunch of tat and I mostly just buy digital now... but if they release a collectors edition with one of those I'm putting that damn Bridge Baby right in the centre of the mantlepiece :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Penn wrote: »
    I pretty much swore off getting Collector's Editions of games that come with a bunch of tat and I mostly just buy digital now... but if they release a collectors edition with one of those I'm putting that damn Bridge Baby right in the centre of the mantlepiece :D

Get your wallet ready. They are.

47959124602_56a267659a_b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yeah fox engine is now konami.

Would not be surprised if ex Kojima studios tech team helped out guerrilla though.
    https://twitter.com/GameAnim/status/1133766769229754369

And the first reply in the thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Technical analysis of the trailer from DF, for anyone into that kinda thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Against my better judgment, Preordered this at the weekend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,106 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Another tidbit.
    Oh god he actually went for the Todd Howard mountain technique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

fixxxer wrote: »
    Against my better judgment, Preordered this at the weekend :)

I've nothing against pre-ordering but I've been following this and still don't know what this is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I've nothing against pre-ordering but I've been following this and still don't know what this is.

I have no idea what this piece of software is.

Is it a game? Is a movie? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Anyone see Hideo Kojima's cameo in Nicholas Winding Refn's new TV show 'Too Old To Die Young'?

Pretty good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, I was hoping the trailer would at least give me an indication as to what it is, but I'm still in the dark. No idea if I should be getting excited or not. From what I've seen so far, meh. Looks pretty, good actors, but still no idea what kind of game this is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Stealth action with some walking sim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I was excited for this game. Now here we are a few months away and all the gameplay seems to be is just hiking. Hiking miles and miles and miles.

Maybe someone should tell Kojima that open world games need a lot to do in them to be enjoyable. MGS5's location become boring after a while. Once you climbed up one rock it doesn't have the same effect the 50th time :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well Breath of the Wild was mostly hiking and exploring and is far and away the best open world game in years. I'm remaining open minded about it.

Kojima is a disaster when it comes to story and dialogue but with the exception of MGS4 him and his team have always delivered unique and compelling gameplay.

I dunno. I'm still a bit skeptical about this. Kojima has wanted to always go open world since MGS3.
    I remember reading an interview in 2002 saying how MGS3 was going to be a big open world like GTA3 (hence the "this isn't gta... this is a jungle line" in the e3 trailer for MGS3. Obviously he couldn't do it cause of technical limitations back then.

He tried to do it for MGS4 but for some reason only one level kinda felt open world. Then... he finally did it for MGS5 and while the gameplay was great the open world setting got boring after a while. I dunno maybe i am suffereing from open-world fatigue :pac:

Would be nice if more was shown tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,225 ✭✭✭✭Penn

They probably showed off too much in the gameplay trailers for MGSV, but I think they definitely need to start showing some for this game as no-one really knows what the hell it is. I expect we'll start seeing some towards the end of August.

Geoff Keighley has a cameo in the game

The game looks ****e, had to be said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Ya, I don't see anything interesting in this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

5 years in development with multiple trailers and 2 in-game videos and I still have no idea what kind of game this is :confused:

What was exactly the point of Kojima flying half way across the world just to showcase and talk about the peeing mechanic in his game ?

I face-palmed when I heard someone clap in the audience when Norman Reedus character started urinating. I just...I cant! XD

Weird gameplay demo that they showed last night as all it really did was provide the Keighley cameo. I'm really into this game though in terms of its weird Kojima tone and sci-fi craziness but hopefully the forthcoming demo at Tokyo game show shows off what the gameplay actually is besides walking around. I'm optimistic there's a suckerpunch coming.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I heard Kojima is hiding a spoiler where after the first hour set on a small research installation and surrounding area Norman Reedus takes off his mask and reveals he is Solid Snake and is voiced by Nicholas Cage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I heard Kojima is hiding a spoiler where after the first hour set on a small research installation and surrounding area Norman Reedus takes off his mask and reveals he is Solid Snake and is voiced by Nicholas Cage.

I would buy the **** out of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

All the inky monsters, weird babies and Hollywood names seem to be distraction from a gameplay loop of wandering aimlessly around what looks like Irish hillsides on an overcast day.

I reckon this will slaughtered in reviews. By that I mean everywhere will give it 8's instead of 9's and 10's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

There must be more to the game play loop that what has been shown so far, Kojima has some out there ideas but he cant seriously have made a game where you just wonder about some hills with a baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

And what's wrong with a nice walking simulator? Doesn't matter what kind of game it is in the end. KojiPro made it, so it'll play great.

Rob2D wrote: »
    And what's wrong with a nice walking simulator? Doesn't matter what kind of game it is in the end. KojiPro made it, so it'll play great.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is proof he can make some utter garbage as well.

I'm willing to believe however he isn't showing everything with this games and anyway, sometimes just basic exploration can be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

5 years in development with multiple trailers and 2 in-game videos and I still have no idea what kind of game this is :confused:

Phantom Pain released 4 years ago & he had to split from Konami, form the new studio, choose the Decima engine and announced the game in 2016 so how do you deduce that its been 5 years??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

The more I see of this the more I think it's going to be an absolute train wreck. There's only so "out there" a game can get and Death Stranding is already well past that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Metal Gear Solid 4 is proof he can make some utter garbage as well.

I'm willing to believe however he isn't showing everything with this games and anyway, sometimes just basic exploration can be fun.

Metal Gear Solid 4 was a great movie :pac:

Basic exploration can be fun in an interesting environment, from what the trailers show it just looks like a large sandbox with not much in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

I said, put the baby back in the pod..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,547 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

These empty environs remind me of the worst aspects of MSGV. Pretty at a glance but the lifelessness becomes pretty jarring in short order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I have a feeling we'll still be confused as **** tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1171739723783499776?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Almost 50 minute gameplay vid.

I still dont know if I am interested in this game or not. It looks both intriguing; the aspect of gearing up for an expedition, making sure to have gear for all eventualities, navigating the world and using ladders/ropes and pitons to scale cliffs....and terrible; huge open world, very pretty, but glaringly devoid of.....anything. Even the likes of Skyrim or BoTW will have something, a camp or a cave or a shrine within easy reach to always feel like the world is alive with possibilities, gameplay here sees to largely be a mix bag of fetch quests and I-cant-believe-its-not-Ubisoft-towers.

I will probably get this but with the more I see I think I'm going to be waiting for all the 2nd hand copies to show up in Gamestop/CEX in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

The combat actually looks good in that video but I'm not sure about that empty open world though. Who knows what the story is about, it just seems too strange.

MGSV enviroment got boring after a while and this looks exactly the same. Boo Kojima!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Kojima sniffing his own farts. Reedus' voice acting in the Briefing video above is absolutely dreadful.

I think this is going to be bomb hard.

How I feel about Death Stranding in a nutshell...

puzzled-emoticon-shrugs-shoulders-expressing-260nw-551713738.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's looks awful and interesting at the same time. But not fun at all.

Am thinking this is starting to look sh*te ....
    During the last couple of the years it looked more and more interesting as we were just getting little snippets here and there. Now that i'm seeing gameplay it really does remind me of the boring aspects of MGSV.

I'd be interesting to hear what reviews say about this.

I've a feeling this might have been better realised as a movie rather than a game. What I saw of the story intrigued me but as soon as I saw the gameplay thought ffs Kojima.

It really does look like the character controls and handles just like MGS in a lot of ways. This was a new project for him but he looks to have stuck to what was familiar.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Kojima's non-Metal Gear games I've enjoyed immensely. And I don't mind if this is a very exploration focused game as BotW has proved that exploring can be immensely enjoyable.

Such an early embargo feels me with hope that Sony are at least super confident. God of War had a similar embargo.
    I feel the same way. A couple of journos have hinted that they are loving it so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I still don't know what to make of this, and I don't care any more. Gonna wait for player reviews, because I think this will be one of those more artistic games which just don't click with me.

Saying that, hearing the Japanese voice acting would nearly make me get it. Everything is better with a Japanese VO!

Conan O Brien is an npc in the game

It gets weirder by the day

Maybe Kojima is winding people up again.
    He did it with MGS2 years ago. He did it recent enough with MGS5. Maybe what we are seeing isn't the full game. I expect some sort of troll outta him however big or small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Spent the last couple of hours catching up on everything released about this so far.

Really admire the idea he’s going for with this and turning a game into a sort of social network, but the actual gameplay and exploration just looks very.....stressful, I suppose? Having to watch your every step and keep control of your balance, manage your cargo load and keep the baby happy, not getting too wet...I could go on. Fighting the Catchers looks interesting but a tad clunky at the same time.

I get the feeling it all clicks into place once you play it for a few hours and get the hang of the mechanics, but I fear many would give up on it pretty early and I could see that happening to myself too. Been seriously burned out on gaming for a little while now bar some light multiplayer stuff to pass the evenings, so I’m not sure about investing a lot of time into what appears to be a very fleshed out courier simulator.

But then again, it has Mads Mikkelsen as the fully mo-capped and voice acted antagonist. How could it not be amazing based on just that alone? You literally couldn’t cast a better villain than him, the story should be pretty special if anyone can make sense of it. :pac:

Advertisement