Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

19 yo falls from balcony

Options
  • 24-09-2015 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

So a young lad fell from a balcony in gort na coiribe last night.

Supposedly rushed to the baumont.

Garda tape up around the area and a squad car presence this morning.

Any one got any further detail on this?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

• Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

truedoom wrote: »
    So a young lad fell from a balcony in gort na coiribe last night.

Supposedly rushed to the baumont.

Garda tape up around the area and a squad car presence this morning.

Any one got any further detail on this?

How much more detail do you need/want?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

How much more detail do you need/want?

Just curious. How did he fall, how injured, will he be okay.

You know. General details like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,125 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Hope he can pull through.

Is it Dun or Gort?

I have lived in both complex back when I was a student/just graduated. The Gort na Coribe ones nearest the Dunnes side have a considerably higher balcony from what I remember?

Surely the only people that need to know those details are the authorities and the friends and family. Why do you need to know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's natural to be nosey about these things and people will talk.
    As long as no names or other personal info is posted, that is not first printed in the papers, I suppose we can't stop curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There are some things best not talked about in case they give other people ideas.

If there's a structural issue with the building, I'm sure it will come out in the accident reporting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

You mean 'ghoulish' details truedoom?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

This thread will be very boring folks, no point posting your eye witness or friend of a friend's version of events as we'll just be removing them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

There are some things best not talked about in case they give other people ideas.

If there's a structural issue with the building, I'm sure it will come out in the accident reporting.

Best not talk about things
    Would one of these be things Like structural issues? This is wild speculation and potentially damaging to any property owner looking to buy/sell in the estate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Heard on radio guys a 1st year from Kerry. He has been brought to Beaumont.

I presume this is ok to post as its been announced on national radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 killilea92

poor guy! i hope the other students learn from this

killilea92 wrote: »
    poor guy! i hope the other students learn from this

What was the "this"? Or is that still censored?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

I posted a second hand eyewitness account (well third if you count the gf telling me) a few days ago but it was censored. surely a week on the info is in the public domain and it's OK to discuss?
    <speculation snipped - mod>

Drink responsibly folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

While you may have the "right" to discuss the incident, I really don't think there's a requirement to go into such graphic detail.

If you wanted to describe the incident, it's enough to say student was drunk and fell from balcony. I don't know who it serves to describe the injuries so graphically....

While you may have the "right" to discuss the incident, I really don't think there's a requirement to go into such graphic detail.

If you wanted to describe the incident, it's enough to say student was drunk and fell from balcony. I don't know who it serves to describe the injuries so graphically....

aye that summary would have suficed. Graphicness didnt exactly help me eating dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I posted a second hand eyewitness account (well third if you count the gf telling me) a few days ago but it was censored. surely a week on the info is in the public domain and it's OK to discuss?

Nope. That is by it's very definition speculation. This can be very damaging to an individual or situation, so thus requires some sort of official evidence to back it up. (usually a link to a news article)

Unless there is official information available, any extra information from an unverified source isn't allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 killilea92

What was the "this"? Or is that still censored?

Im still unsure, more so i was getting at the responsible drinking side

its not speculation, ie guessing. It's what I was told by my gf who heard it from a colleague from clare who was told by her mother who was at the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I don't think the injuries suffered by the young man in the fall are any of our business, the poor man and his family have a long road ahead of them and posting details like graphic injuries suffered in the accident are in my opinion heartless both to him his family and to his friends who I am sure are in Galway and could see this post, I pray he will make a recovery.

• Advertisement

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I don't think the injuries suffered by the young man in the fall are any of our business, the poor man and his family have a long road ahead of them and posting details like graphic injuries suffered in the accident are in my opinion heartless both to him his family and to his friends who I am sure are in Galway and could see this post, I pray he will make a recovery.

Of course we all hope he will recover but from what I hear the chances of a full recovery are extremely slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

its not speculation, ie guessing. It's what I was told by my gf who heard it from a colleague from clare who was told by her mother who was at the scene.

When someone tells me something and then qualifies it with the phrase "well that's what I've heard from someone else", then I'm inclined to not take it as a hundred percent cast iron fact.

So when a stranger on an internet forum says- "I have this fact that I've heard from someone else... who has heard it from someone else... who has heard it from someone else"....

Then I say it's only speculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

sorry, who is Clare's mother?

No, her colleague is from Clare. The girl from Clare's mother was on the scene. The mother told her daughter, the daughter told gf, gf told me and now I'm telling ye. But somebody wouldn't let me tell ye!

No, her colleague is from Clare. The girl from Clare's mother was on the scene. The mother told her daughter, the daughter told gf, gf told me and now I'm telling ye. But somebody wouldn't let me tell ye!

And you're 100% certain that no one embellished a one little bit anywhere along the way? Yeah, right.

Well I can't guarantee that. But who can say anything 100%?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Well I can't guarantee that. But who can say anything 100%?

The media who are furnished with the ACTUAL facts, and thus are entitled to print/write about it.

Let's stop with this train of talk, and focus on the topic at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The poor fella was from Tralee and remains critical according to this article. Gardai are saying No foul play is suspected so it may have been a nasty accident.

http://connachttribune.ie/nuig-student-remains-critical-after-fall-from-city-balcony/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Surely this is speculation aswell and should be removed? It is damaging to any home owner in the area
    Is there a evidence that there is structural issues Mrs o bumble?

• Advertisement

Is there a evidence that there is structural issues Mrs o bumble?

Not that I'm aware of.

But it's not rocket science to say that either there's a structural issue, or the guy was using the structure differently to how it was designed to be used, or the third option that I'm not even going to talk about.

Arguably, complexes that are intended for people who are prone to risk-taking behaviour (eg students) should have more design features than usual to stop people using structures differently from how they're designed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement