Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone eaten in Loam?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

More like been taken for a fool, looking at the pics you would be starved senseless after eating there.
    But i guess some people have awful notions and i guess the place just takes advantage of such people.
    Strange why dont Trocaire go for excitement and difference when asking for food. If your going to overspend on a meal and still be hungry thats more money than sense. Excitement isnt going to fill you.

If you want to pay money to be stuffed go to a buffet, if not then dont worry your wee heads about it, neither of ye gastro enthusiasts will be forced to go somewhere offering such heinous things.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

What's all the snarking about? Some folks love that kind of dining, some don't. Same as some like the theatre, some don't. Some like the races, some don't. Et cetera.

If you don't like the idea of it, don't go there, but leave it for those who do. If you think you might like it, give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

If you want to pay money to be stuffed go to a buffet, if not then dont worry your wee heads about it, neither of ye gastro enthusiasts will be forced to go somewhere offering such heinous things.

Why so sensitive? Its your money to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Why so sensitive? Its your money to waste.

Not remotely sensitive, if anything your initial reply to something of clearly no interest to you would demonstrate a sensitivity to the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Myself and my wife ate there a couple of weeks ago and loved it. The food was just exceptional, no two ways about it.

I really can't understand the hate that goes with anything like this, if you don't want that sort of thing, don't go.... theres loads of different restaurants to cater for damn near every possible taste in Galway.

Personally I think its brilliant that we have such a wide variety of good restaurants in such a relatively small city. Places that are great to go to as a group (Cava, Lunares, Rouge, Raw,Asian Tea House), places that a great as a couple (Kai, Loam, Black cat, Dela), casual pub places (An Pucan etc).... gourmet places and places that will stuff you to the gills, upper end places and cheap and cheerful places(Bite Club, Hooked on Henry Street). We are spoiled for choice and I only wish i had the financial resources to get to more of them more often.

There are a few places especially around the Quay street area that could pull up their socks a bit but they are getting away with it through sheer footfall i reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

McTigs wrote: »
    Myself and my wife ate there a couple of weeks ago and loved it. The food was just exceptional, no two ways about it.

I really can't understand the hate that goes with anything like this, if you don't want that sort of thing, don't go.... theres loads of different restaurants to cater for damn near every possible taste in Galway.

Personally I think its brilliant that we have such a wide variety of good restaurants in such a relatively small city. Places that are great to go to as a group (Cava, Lunares, Rouge, Raw,Asian Tea House), places that a great as a couple (Kai, Loam, Black cat, Dela), casual pub places (An Pucan etc).... gourmet places and places that will stuff you to the gills, upper end places and cheap and cheerful places(Bite Club, Hooked on Henry Street). We are spoiled for choice and I only wish i had the financial resources to get to more of them more often.

There are a few places especially around the Quay street area that could pull up their socks a bit but they are getting away with it through sheer footfall i reckon.

Well said. Agree with your every word.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

McTigs wrote: »

Totally agree. Can't believe though you didn't give an honorable mention to Thai Garden :D
    There's also some new Mexican place opened up on across from Lynch's castle to try out..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Well done Loam, a great achievement.

Haven't eaten there but really want to try it out before Xmas. ive heard nothing but posotive things about the place so looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

I have to agree with the posters dissing all this fancy schmazy stuff and I recommend to you The Aytin House at The Green Fool Hotel in Carrickmacross. Its a bit of a schlep I know, but it has a real back to basics vibe but is also bang on the Park Slope zeitgeist being a single dish joint, serving only a dish called "Mate" which consists of long cooked shoe leathers served in a bowl of brown broth flecked with white globules of solid fat. Its an new riff on an old classic. The difference being in the Aytin' House take, is that the leathers are all locally sourced from certified jakeys who are fed solely on beer, this gives the leathers a unique depth of flavour.

The only bummer is they don't take bookings and the queues are horrendous.

S9PeanU.jpg?2

Advertisement