Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What book are you reading atm??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy

Right, so this is the other big Tolstoy book.

I remember reading in the preface how different War and Peace is to Anna Karenina, which to start off, I'm not sure I agree with.

For one thing Levin is essentially the same character as Pierre: rich, tall, socially awkward fùcker who spends the whole book fighting nihilistic meaningless tendencies and getting sloppy seconds off of other lads. It's not that Levin is a bad character (and Levin's spiritual revelation at the end of the novel is great and deserved imo) it's just that unlike Pierre, nothing really that interesting happens to him. Cùnt needs to have a bit of a sesh.

I get that Levin and Kitty's relationship is supposed to undercut and touch off Anna and Vronsky's affair in a terms of how to make it work kind of thing, but even so, I found some of the Levin sections a bit of a slog to get through. There's even one section of the book in particular which feels lifted exactly from War and Peace.
    Why do we need to read pages and pages of Levin hunting snipes?

Anna's section is fantastic though. There are some beautifully sad as balls sections here: the characters feel very very real, palpable and the moments here are very relatable; Anna's freak the fùck out and paranoia over her fading looks be a barry example of that. Is Tolstoy condemning her for what she did? Maybe, maybe not. Loveless marriage to a dry government twat or a self destructive passion where society pisses on yous? Not black or white by any means.

Part Seven in particular is astounding; the transition from realist to modernist, see inside yer one's head is something else and impeccably done here. It's also a much darker, hopeless feeling book than War and Peace, or at least it is for me.

So overall, it's excellent, but I can't help but feel its a bit too structureless and confused, especially the Levin storyline. Excellent characters doing not very interesting things in a nutshell. I think it's a step down from War and Peace on the whole, but a damn fine read nonetheless.

Just finishing up on Umberto Eco's The Prague Cemetry.

It's great on descriptive detail, very atmospheric, but it's not in the same league as the other Eco books I've read - The Name of The Rose, Focaults Pendulum, The Island of The Day Before, and Baudolino - all brilliant.

It's been a nice long read though, and like big books (and I can not lie).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Reading 'Prisoners of Geography, ten maps that tell you everything you need to know about Global politics' by Tim Marshall.

Very good and simply does what it says on the cover, giving a simple account of why countries do what they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I'm reading Working Stiff, two years, 262 bodies and the making of a Medical Examiner by Judy Melinek, M.D.and T.J. Mitchell. It's a gruesome yet fascinating read. There are no details spared, so definitely not for anyone squeamish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

"Mr Nice" by Howard Marks. Borrowed from a friend months ago and been gathering dust since. Was travelling solo at the weekend so got started at least. Probably not the best book to bring through an airport. Few chapters in and Marks seems like a good storyteller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I'm reading The Bertie Project by Alexander McCall Smith. Poor downtrodden Stuart, and the insufferable Irene. Great characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭kazamo

Just started Hope A Tragedy by Shalom Auslander.
    Jewish man finds elderly woman in his attic, woman is Anne Frank.

Only 30 pages in, promising start so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

The latest one by Stuart Neville, so say the fallen.
    I think he's class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Reading 'Prisoners of Geography, ten maps that tell you everything you need to know about Global politics' by Tim Marshall.

Very good and simply does what it says on the cover, giving a simple account of why countries do what they do.

Excellent book, its expansive yet concise. A good introduction to geo politics. Tim Marshall is great at analysing world affairs.

Andrew Robert's "Napoleon The Great" Its about 800 pages long, but if you want to read a great biography of "le petit caporal" look no further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Deception Point by Dan Brown
    wasnt impressed by this, what do you make of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Started some great books lately. I can't remember why they are good, but I'm saving them for me holliers in two weeks.

I always do that when going on holliers. Buy as many on the Kindle as I think will get me through! Try them and stop reading till I get there!

So far four of them are looking good for indolence and not much analysis!

So,

" The road to Little Dribbling" by Guess who?

"The journey in between" Keith Foskett. About the Camino. Will do it someday, lol.

"A man called Ove" Fredrik Backman

"Unravelling Oliver" Liz Nugent.

I have loads more loaded on, so I will survive!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 CanadaDave

Reading the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson, I have read a lot of fantasy books over the years but these are on another level, fantastic and a very original way in which the characters use their "powers".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

'Jerusalem' by Alan Moore. Moore's own love letter to his hometown of Northampton, and its absolutely brilliant. Moore tells various stories of characters, ghosts and centuries intertwined from a neglected part of England throughout this magical book in such a vivid magical way. I've been waiting over five years for this book to drop and I'm trying to slowly savour it all, which is difficult, as its so hard to put this book down. 1200 pages of this thing and nearly finished after a week. Perfect winter reading material, highly highly recommended.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

"My Turn: The Autobiography" by Johann Cruyff

I bought this today. So far I've read 29 pages and it is very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Timur Vermes "look who's back"

Basically Hitler comes back today and can't fathom what is happening in the world. Quite funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

bonzodog2 wrote: »

One of the very few of his books to disappoint me and I'm a big fan. His earlier books are all incredible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just finished 'Tender' by Belinda Mckeown. It was going ok but just got stupid from about 2/3rds of the way through. Don't really get the hype about her books at all.

Just started Bringing up the Bodies by Hillary Mantel. Loved Wolf Hall + this seems to be even better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭bgr123

Dassling Darkness.Book about Darren Barker a world champion boxer who tragically lost his younger brother a couple of years before he went on to be champ.Major struggles with depression and injury but a great story of dedication and hope.For a sports Autobiography it's a great read.Better than the usual self obsorbed sports people of today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Grapes of Wrath by Jon Steinbeck.

Good read, lovely characters, with chapters trying to give the bigger picture thrown in.
    the political philosophy is of its time, but the basic conundrum the book describes has not yet been answered let alone resolved. Some aspects seem spookily up-to-date, if you transposed the location.
    I would definitely recommend it, it puts a human face to global tragedy without being tragic itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

mfceiling wrote: »
    Timur Vermes "look who's back"

Basically Hitler comes back today and can't fathom what is happening in the world. Quite funny.

Film available on Netflix now.

As for myself, been reading heavy stuff so for a change started 'It' by Stephen King, a long haul but mostly find his books very readable.

Also reading 'The Song Machine: Inside The Hit Factory', about the centralisation and industrialisation of modern day pop music to very few people churning out all the hits for the big stars.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/nov/04/john-seabrook-song-machine-review-pop-music

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HistoryMania

Dying to Survive
    By Rachael Keogh.

Great eye opener. Grew up in an area plauged by addiction. Makes you think different when seen it from the addicts point of view. And she is brutually honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

buried wrote: »
    'Jerusalem' by Alan Moore. Moore's own love letter to his hometown of Northampton, and its absolutely brilliant. Moore tells various stories of characters, ghosts and centuries intertwined from a neglected part of England throughout this magical book in such a vivid magical way. I've been waiting over five years for this book to drop and I'm trying to slowly savour it all, which is difficult, as its so hard to put this book down. 1200 pages of this thing and nearly finished after a week. Perfect winter reading material, highly highly recommended.

I've read the first 200 pages. So far, it's a number of short stories, very stream of consciousness heavy which only tangentially relate to each other. It's fine I suppose, but does it get better, does it actually lead up to anything?

The writing so far has ranged from astonishing to amateurish, which can be irritating. It's interesting and original though, I'll give it that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

I've read the first 200 pages. So far, it's a number of short stories, very stream of consciousness heavy which only tangentially relate to each other. It's fine I suppose, but does it get better, does it actually lead up to anything?

The writing so far has ranged from astonishing to amateurish, which can be irritating. It's interesting and original though, I'll give it that.

Stick with it!
    towards the whole of Book 1 'The Boroughs' all the different character and narrative 'angles' will start to seam into each other

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Dying to Survive
    By Rachael Keogh.

Great eye opener. Grew up in an area plauged by addiction. Makes you think different when seen it from the addicts point of view. And she is brutually honest.

Her arms were some state,dead drunk by Paul Garrigan is another in the same vein,pardon the pun.Well worth a read!

Stephen King by Stephen King. Stephen King accidentally creates a time machine with a walkman and a vic inhaler and his transported back to his teenage years, Where he creates a self portrait of himself in a mirror with shaving cream. At this point he realizes he has as an irrational fear of clowns and decides to fill his colon with blue tac. True story xoxoxo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭HS3

'Lost' - Sharon Bolton

Book 3 in the Lacy Flint series. Holy feck they are brilliant. Can be a bit teenagey in parts, but Bolton ' talent at being graphically gruesome, yet subtly mind melting makes for a total page turner. They are a fantastic set of books!!

Stiff The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭smurfette2212

'The Boy Who Could See Demons' by Carolyn Jess-Cooke

• Advertisement

appledrop wrote: »
    Just finished 'Tender' by Belinda Mckeown. It was going ok but just got stupid from about 2/3rds of the way through. Don't really get the hype about her books at all.

Just started Bringing up the Bodies by Hillary Mantel. Loved Wolf Hall + this seems to be even better.

I've just started Tender. I loved Solace, but am finding that characterJames really irritating. Is he supposed to be quirky and likeable?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭yellowcandle

Graham Norton Holding. Really enjoying it. Am surprised at how good it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Just finished reading The couple next door by Shari Laspena and it was a good read and for a suspense debut novel I can only hope that anymore books she writes will be equally as good:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Africa (A biography of the Continent) by John Reader. History from the formation of the earth, through evolution to humans, anthropology, sociology, political history, climate change, geology ......

An easy read broken into concise chapters and packed with interesting facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

One of Robbie Keanes (the footballer) biographies. Four years old. So we may see another one.

I've just started Tender. I loved Solace, but am finding that characterJames really irritating. Is he supposed to be quirky and likeable?

Who knows what she is trying to achieve but he definitely doesn't get any better as the novel goes on. I hated him by the end of the book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Shenshen wrote: »
    Grapes of Wrath by Jon Steinbeck.

Good read, lovely characters, with chapters trying to give the bigger picture thrown in.
    the political philosophy is of its time, but the basic conundrum the book describes has not yet been answered let alone resolved. Some aspects seem spookily up-to-date, if you transposed the location.
    I would definitely recommend it, it puts a human face to global tragedy without being tragic itself.

Take a listen(if u haven't already),to Springsteen's 'ghost of Tom Joad',he basically says what you alluded to there regarding the books relevance today.

Graham Norton Holding. Really enjoying it. Am surprised at how good it is

I have heard its a good read. Think I'll buy this during the week.

I'm reading Jason Byrnes book 'Adventures of a wonky eye boy'. It's about growing up in the 80s in Dublin. I think it's hillarous. A real light hearted read. I only started it yesterday + nearly finished it. It might not be for everyone but I love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Reading Leanne Shapton's Swimming Studies at the moment, and feeling frustrated that I can't get to swim more often myself, as it's a beautiful read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Reading Leanne Shapton's Swimming Studies at the moment, and feeling frustrated that I can't get to swim more often myself, as it's a beautiful read.
    EDIT: apologies for the double post. Boards experienced a connection error and when it came back online the post had repeated itself...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Stiff The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach

Oooh, I've been thinking of getting this one. What is it like?
    I'm currently half-way through Specticles by Sue Perkins. A very funny, leisurely read.

McChubbin wrote: »
    Oooh, I've been thinking of getting this one. What is it like?
    I'm currently half-way through Specticles by Sue Perkins. A very funny, leisurely read.

I enjoyed it :) very interesting read. If you've read and enjoyed the book smoke gets in your eyes then you should like this one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The Housekeeper: Love, Death, and Prizefighting. Autobiography of an MMA fighter, John Samman, who died recently at age 28.

Interesting so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

The Twelve, second book in Justin Cronin's The Passage trilogy.

Not as good as the first book but hopefully the last book improves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭heathledgerlove

On Green Dolphin Street by Sebastian Faulks, set in 1960 before the election and during McCarthy era. Not as brilliant and striking and original as Birdsong but wonderfully written all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog), published in 1889 by Jerome K. Jerome.

It is basically a very humorous travel guide. I have it on Kindle it was free on it when I got it
    Ironically I have only read bits of it on and off when travelling!

But there is lots of humour and wit in it so far and plenty of the things in it are still applicable today

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The Crossing by Michael Connelly. Very good, a Harry Bosch tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Daisy78

An Edgar Allan Poe anthology, for the season that's in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Precious and Grace, by Alexander McCall Smith. A bit ho-hum so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Final finished the century trilogy by Ken Follett
    Great read at +3000 pages but the third one felt rushed and could've been split in two with more time dedicated to the events in 2ND half of the century

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement