Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
03-04-2020, 15:21   #16
coff66
Registered User
 
coff66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw Hammer View Post
If a booking deposit has been paid, then you should only communicate through your solicitor. You should tell your solicitor that you think the price is too high manager may not go ahead unless there is a reduction. Your solicitor will guide you with regards to how you should negotiate.
Thank you. Have made contact with solicitor asking for guidance on how we should proceed with looking to negotiate a possible reduction. Hopefully they are at work as have not heard from them since the 18th of March when informed them the letter of offer for our mortgage had been issued from the bank.
coff66 is offline  
Advertisement
04-04-2020, 14:43   #17
davedub2015
Registered User
 
davedub2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 83
Contracts received solictor told us to put it to estate agent first wondering is this the norm or should they ask first?
davedub2015 is offline  
04-04-2020, 14:47   #18
Claw Hammer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedub2015 View Post
Contracts received solictor told us to put it to estate agent first wondering is this the norm or should they ask first?
Once your solicitor knows you're doing it, that is enough. Put your proposition to the agent. Anything you put in writing to the agent you should CC to the solicitor. The solicitor would have got the sales advice letter from the agent and will be mightily pissed off if the deal broke down through your negotiating behind his back. Now that he knows what you're doing, off you go.
Claw Hammer is offline  
04-04-2020, 15:00   #19
antix80
Registered User
 
antix80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedub2015 View Post
Contracts received solictor told us to put it to estate agent first wondering is this the norm or should they ask first?
You're not the op... What's your issue?

I doubt you can expect your solicitor to haggle for you. They just advise you and carry out your instructions.

If you need to renegotiate a purchase you should go through the estate agent. Just remember that they've been at this game a lot longer than you have. May be worth pulling out of the sale and waiting to see how low the market goes in the next year.
antix80 is offline  
06-04-2020, 20:59   #20
coff66
Registered User
 
coff66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 48
So just a quick update, spoke with solicitor and directed us to the EA. Made contact with the EA and without saying so directly, refused to go to the builder to ask. Suggested we pause for now and wait until we see how the markets/banks react and see then.
coff66 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-04-2020, 19:21   #21
Rainmann
Registered User
 
Rainmann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by coff66 View Post
So just a quick update, spoke with solicitor and directed us to the EA. Made contact with the EA and without saying so directly, refused to go to the builder to ask. Suggested we pause for now and wait until we see how the markets/banks react and see then.
That seems like an odd thing for the EA to do but maybe I am missing something. You would expect from an incentive point of view the EA would be keen to get the deal done even at a slightly lower rate rather than reccommending you to pause things.
Rainmann is offline  
07-04-2020, 20:20   #22
coff66
Registered User
 
coff66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmann View Post
That seems like an odd thing for the EA to do but maybe I am missing something. You would expect from an incentive point of view the EA would be keen to get the deal done even at a slightly lower rate rather than reccommending you to pause things.
Ya I thought it was odd too but it is what it is. We aren't put out by it, as house is no where completed and no contracts signed. We don't envisage pulling the plug either, but am kind of hoping now that a larger reduction than what we were going to suggest comes from it and just drop it in conversation around closing that the EA delayed when we would have taken a smaller reduction happily earlier in the process.
coff66 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet