Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richard Branson apologises for photo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

As long as the people that he had on his team were not employed because of the colour of their skin (and we have no reason to assume otherwise), advising him to involve black people PURELY because of the colour of their skin is absolutely tokenism

The likelihood that the the 8 best hires were all white in a country of 80% black people is small. It's 1 in 128, or 0.78%.

Even so, it projects the wrong image to a country in which you are trying to do business as well as ignoring the potential insights which someone of a particular demographic could have in to others of a similar background which would (according to every HR book) likely benefit business and creating contacts and opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,776 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You are saying that it is ill advised because there is no black people there. If you were advising him, would you tell him that he should include some black people in the photo so people wouldn't be mad?

That right there is tokenism of black people.

I’d advise him to hire people that are culturally and demographically tapped into 80% of his potential market, and bring on professionals with experience and insight into those demographics so that our business was geared for success. Sue me.

As long as the people that he had on his team were not employed because of the colour of their skin (and we have no reason to assume otherwise), advising him to involve black people PURELY because of the colour of their skin is absolutely tokenism

If I set up an Entrepreneurial Center in Rome I’d hire some Romans.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the question is, do we believe that billionaire richard branson choses the people he works with based on the colour of their skin?

the question is, do we believe that billionaire choses the people he works with based on the colour of their skin?

No.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    No.

do we believe that he should?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

If I set up an Entrepreneurial Center in Rome I’d hire some Romans.
    Are these people not South African ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

And people will moan when he says **** this and scrap it.

It's got to the stage you need to plan a photo in advance for fear of not meeting the PC checklist. Would prefer if he'd told everyone to go n ****, someone needs to stop this nonsense.

do we believe that he should?

Not repeating myself lest this become a circular thread of some 8,000 posts

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Are these people not South African ?

Not enough for 8/10 South Africans apparently.

• Advertisement

Not repeating myself lest this become a circular thread of some 8,000 posts

i'll answer for you. Richard Branson does not choose the people he works with based on the colour of their skin nor should he.

i'll answer got you. Richard Branson does not choose the people he works with based on the colour of their skin nor should he.

I already answered for myself thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The likelihood that the the 8 best hires were all white in a country of 80% black people is small. It's 1 in 128, or 0.78%.

How did you calculate that?

I’d advise him to hire people that are culturally and demographically tapped into 80% of his potential market, and bring on professionals with experience and insight into those demographics so that our business was geared for success. Sue me.

So stripping away boardroom talk you are saying "Yes, I would tell him to hire blacks because the colour of their skin matches loads of people. And because blacks know what blacks want, we would earn more money"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

Not enough for 8/10 South Africans apparently.

Let’s flip the script for a laugh, the recent NTA campaign here had a backlash about there being not enough “whiteness”

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/nta-anti-racism-campaign-complaints-4833619-Oct2019/%3famp=1

Does your logic extend to this, considering Ireland is a mostly “white” country? Those complaints seem valid now if we are going to get all offended about a photo of white people in an 80% black country. It’s nearly an identical reaction on the opposite side of the coin to Bransons photo and the reaction it’s getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I'd hire the best qualified people for the job, never mind their race. Sue me.

So stripping away boardroom talk you are saying "Yes, I would tell him to hire blacks because the colour of their skin matches loads of people. And because blacks know what blacks want, we would earn more money"

If I did business in Rome I would hire some Romans. If I’m doing business in Montana I’ll hire some Montanans, if I’m in South Africa I would hire some South Africans. As there are two South Africa’s, in effect, I would be sure to make hires from both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

the question is, do we believe that billionaire richard branson choses the people he works with based on the colour of their skin?

Nah, I'd say he needs look at the process if only minorities got picked. Something flawed there I'd imagine and if not, issues elsewhere in the system over all. Imagine similar in Ireland with all black people. There'd be questions surely?
    On a purely brand view point, it being the country or apartheid, by cold capitalist logic, be a good idea to vary them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Overheal wrote:
    If I did business in Rome I would hire some Romans. If I’m doing business in Montana I’ll hire some Montanans, if I’m in South Africa I would hire some South Africans. As there are two South Africa’s, in effect, I would be sure to make hires from both.

So you agree with "positive" discrimination?

Ironicname wrote: »

I agree with hiring people local to where I want to be. If I want to do far-reaching business in the state of Texas I’d surely want to hire people that were native there and I would want to diversify our experience base with people from around the state, not just in one county or city. My venture in Texas enterprise would look weird with no Texans informing me.

• Advertisement

So you would hire someone purely based on their skin colour? (I assume that's what you mean by two south africas)

Ironicname wrote: »

This isn't about positive discrimination.
    It is about optimising your opportunities. In a venture such as business development and entrepreneurship, networking and contacts are going to be a big part of developing it.

Having members of the community in which you will be seeking to develop the contacts is going to give you a greater chance of success than not having them.

It is good business sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Blacks would hardly be racist and be more likely to avail of products or services from other blacks? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

It is about optimising your opportunities. In a venture such as business development and entrepreneurship, networking and contacts are going to be a big part of developing it.

Having members of the community in which you will be seeking to develop the contacts is going to give you a greater chance of success than not having them.

I would fathom a guess that billionaire Richard Branson knows a thing or two about business sense, no?

How did you calculate that?

Chance of 1st hire being white (out of black white option) is 50%
    Chance of 2nd hire (as well as first) being white is 25%.
    And so on.

I was wrong though, it is 2 to the power of 8, not 7. Meaning a .39% that all 8 hires will be white.

So you would hire someone purely based on their skin colour? (I assume that's what you mean by two south africas)

Two South Africa’s which were created unfortunately by a racial apartheid. The connection to skin color between the two worlds is inadvertent as it is unavoidable there seemingly. The end result however being that there are two of them, as there are two America’s and I would certainly not brand myself for one at the detriment of the other if my goal was to maximize profit.

I would fathom a guess that billionaire Richard Branson knows a thing or two about business sense, no?

Guess that's why he has apologised then. And shown pictures including members of the Black community engaging with him.

To extrapolate that idea further, in a place where there are very few minorities, it would make more business sense to not hire any?

Guess that's why he has apologised then. And shown pictures including members of the Black community engaging with him.

And didn’t engage in a PC principles debate just moved on to make some money.

• Advertisement

To extrapolate that idea further, in a place where there are very few minorities, it would make more business sense to not hire any?

IMHO Depends where. Russia, China etc. absolutely there’s no need (and in some cases a too diverse hire can get you killed!) In the west we have these funny ideas about cultural diversity. The market responded to that.

Advertisement