Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richard Branson apologises for photo

Options

Comments

How do you guys keep finding these stories? I feel like I read a lot of news sites but never seem to come across these "PC gone mad" stories unless I'm on Boards and some outraged user is moaning about it.

Yeah it was hard to find alright. Front page of the BBC website. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

A voice inside my head: "Richard, I hear you're a racist!" :)

My brother-in-law is white South African. Which doesn't reflect the black majority. Better hastily delete all photos of us from twatter.

Self-consciously staged ops never ring true. Branson should have let things stand instead of succumbing to bullying tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Come on punisher, we're talking about south Africa here, you can't just blithely decide it's no longer an issue

By the way I have no issues with people calling out wrong and I understand the absolute sh1t show that was going on there but don't forget there are a lot of criminals too and won't hesitate in putting a bullet in one.

Whites are actually under attack in South Africa....

I cant comment fully as I'm not from there or ever have been but the videos online of robberies and attacks is shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Completely useless stat but if you were to randomly and independently pick 8 people in South Africa for a photoshoot there is approximately a 1/390,000 chance of them all being white.

• Advertisement

Should my black friends be outraged when they aren't there when we take a photo?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

My brother-in-law is white South African. Which doesn't reflect the black majority. Better hastily delete all photos of us from twatter.

Self-consciously staged ops never ring true. Branson should have let things stand instead of succumbing to bullying tactics.
    This kind of nonsense is exactly what you'd read on twatter, no context, or clue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Branson would have generated less controversy if he'd just tweeted a picture of a packet of Jacobs cream crackers. :)

How many blacks does Branson employ among say Asian and Eskimos and so on?

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    The liberals here usually same posters posting all day everyday need to get a job and stop being so outraged over something so pathetic. Get a job you dole spongers.

Going to do something unusual and actually stick up for the usual liberals here.

There was no outrage as such on their part. I brought it up because I was bemused by the fact that he apologised.

I didn't see a mass cry from the left for him to apologise, I just saw the article. I think he quelled it with his apology but my point was that I didn't think an apology was required or warranted.

No outrage, just a little question: Why is it that is almost always exclusively white men who feel the need to apologise for lack of diversity? (edit. ha... the irony that P.O.C aren't in that group has just dawned on me)

• Advertisement

How many blacks does Branson employ among say Asian and Eskimos and so on?

an offensive term these days. Apologise!!!

an offensive term these days. Apologise!!!

I do apologize.

I do apologize.

Not forgiven. You are cancelled!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I think we are not accounting for the advantage that white people have , higher opportunity for education, job prospects etc, so of course Richard Branson is more likely to be surrounded by white people, it's not necessarily his bias.

Not forgiven. You are cancelled!

Probably should be doing something around the house she will kill me.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,592 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    The liberals here usually same posters posting all day everyday need to get a job and stop being so outraged over something so pathetic. Get a job you dole spongers.
    And you need to cut out generalised attacks like this on other posters

Any questions, please PM me

Probably should be doing something around the house she will kill me.

Did you just assume their gender?!

Going to do something unusual and actually stick up for the usual liberals here.

There was no outrage as such on their part. I brought it up because I was bemused by the fact that he apologised.

I didn't see a mass cry from the left for him to apologise, I just saw the article. I think he quelled it with his apology but my point was that I didn't think an apology was required or warranted.

No outrage, just a little question: Why is it that is almost always exclusively white men who feel the need to apologise for lack of diversity?

Historically and still/until recently white people went into the other countries and held the positions of power and wealth? It's hard to think of examples of the opposite case where it wasn't also white people on the receiving end, but I think we'd still expect complaints then, just they'd be seen as ethnic rather than race based.

I think we are not accounting for the advantage that white people have , higher opportunity for education, job prospects etc, so of course Richard Branson is more likely to be surrounded by white people, it's not necessarily his bias.

I wish I could find out where they are handing out this white privilege so I could get me some.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭Cordell

Completely useless stat but if you were to randomly and independently pick 8 people in South Africa for a photoshoot there is approximately a 1/390,000 chance of them all being white.

To make it less useless: choose them from pools of highly educated people willing to work for a white man.

• Advertisement

Historically and still/until recently white people went into the other countries and held the positions of power and wealth? It's hard to think of examples of the opposite case where it wasn't also white people on the receiving end, but I think we'd still expect complaints then, just they'd be seen as ethnic rather than race based.

Ok. So anyone that complains that lack of diversity is a racist or a bigot then? I mean, judging all people not by their actions but on the colour of the skin and/or the historic actions of other people with similar coloured skin is pretty ****ty is it not?

Ok. So anyone that complains that lack of diversity is a racist or a bigot then? I mean, judging all people not by their actions but on the colour of the skin and/or the historic actions of other people with similar coloured skin is pretty ****ty is it not?

Ah I thought you wanted to have a proper discussion about it, my mistake, carry on

Ah I thought you wanted to have a proper discussion about it, my mistake, carry on

Fair enough. I don't see why my response provoked your response but ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Branson pandering to the lefties by having an all white minority group. The whites shouldn't get special treatment because they are a minority. It's PC gone mad....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Where do I complain that there wasn't any women in the South African rugby team that just won the world cup? I've checked every picture I could find. Not a single woman was on the team. Shocking I tell you.

Branson pandering to the lefties by having an all white minority group. The whites shouldn't get special treatment because they are a minority. It's PC gone mad....

I'm not sure what your point is Matt. I see you are using a worn out trope to insult "the right" but are you saying that you agree with me that this is a situation that didn't need an apology? Or are you in agreement with the opinion that minorities shouldn't be given special treatment?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,872 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Where do I complain that there wasn't any women in the South African rugby team that just won the world cup? I've checked every picture I could find. Not a single woman was on the team. Shocking I tell you.

Not even a good whataboutism 0/10

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the only mistake he made was apologising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Cordell wrote: »
    To make it less useless: choose them from pools of highly educated people willing to work for a white man.

OK, quiet day in work so I've had a quick look at this. I've had to ignore the "willing to work for a white man" as that's too hard to quantify and I don't think these people work for Branson. Anyway looking at graduates from 2014 only 60.5% are black, 25.5% are white and 7% for both coloured and Indian.

That puts the chances of picking 8 white people at 1/55,687.

Still a useless figure though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

He's a white male lol

Advertisement