Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GN Toilets

Options
  • 25-10-2019 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

This is new to me, the old gender neutral toilets.

Is it fine if I use these (I'm a straight bloke)?

Do they have urinals?

I've been in unisex toilets before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,808 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Do they have urinals?

They are toilets. Your sexual orientation is completely irrelevant. If you need to goto the toilet then goto the toilet. Simple.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When there's toilets for disabled people in every single location in the country we can then look at a la carte toilets for people who can't just fooking understand life and the expenses associated with it.

When there's toilets for disabled people in every single location in the country we can then look at a la carte toilets for people who can't just fooking understand life and the expenses associated with it.

I know about 10/15 Irish trans people. They all understand life perfectly. Not sure what you're on about.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Do they have urinals?

In my experience anyway, nobody gives a shìte, just go in, do whatever you need to do, and get out. There’s no need to overthink the whole thing.

M

I know about 10/15 Irish trans people. They all understand life perfectly. Not sure what you're on about.

The costs associated with having a male, female, disabled, none of the above in every premises in the country would cost millions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

Did you ever live in a house (family or house share) and share use of a bathroom with people of mixed genders? It's just like that.

M

GRACKEA wrote: »
    Did you ever live in a house (family or house share) and share use of a bathroom with people of mixed genders? It's just like that.

That's exactly what we need, decide either but don't go seeking a specific additional toilet which is 'either or'.

That's exactly what we need, decide either but don't go seeking a specific additional toilet which is 'either or'.

I don't understand what you mean or why you're saying it to me tbh

The op seems to just be asking how they work for when they do come across them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Worse deal for women if you think about it. Toilets left in a mess by men that use them

• Advertisement
    M

GRACKEA wrote: »
    The op seems to just be asking how they work for when they do come across them.

Basically either sex can go in to either toilet but those of either sex who find it offensive are silenced as being not sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

They are not gender neutral toilets, they are mixed sex toilets. If they are allocated correctly, they are a welcome solution. But if their allocation simply involves leaving the male toilets as is, and re-allocating the females toilets as mixed sex, then that is unacceptable.

M

Gekko wrote: »
    Worse deal for women if you think about it. Toilets left in a mess by men that use them

For me women in the gents would mean a good 2 pints less aboard of an evening due to waiting to discharge in a crowded environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Dante7 wrote: »
    They are not gender neutral toilets, they are mixed sex toilets. If they are allocated correctly, they are a welcome solution. But if their allocation simply involves leaving the male toilets as is, and re-allocating the females toilets as mixed sex, then that is unacceptable.

Why the need for mixed sex toilets?

Basically either sex can go in to either toilet but those of either sex who find it offensive are silenced as being not sound.

Sorry I'm really not following what your point is or how it is relevant to what I said

Who finds what offensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Fann Linn wrote: »

So that Autogynephillic males can get their rocks off by invading female only spaces.

From years working in pubs and the service industry from my experience women's toilets were always the worst.

Dante7 wrote: »
    So that Autogynephillic males can get their rocks off by invading female only spaces.

And that wouldn't happen if they were gender neutral. What a difference a name makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

They'll be left in a worse state by the female insistence on 'hovering', not to mention the increased waiting time for men.

Fann Linn wrote: »

Well people exist whose gender identities (trans/non binary) or physical sex organs (intersex etc) don't fit in to the traditional delineation of male and female. Having a bathroom that anyone can use regardless of gender just makes it fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

No thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

We need toilets exclusively for girls anyway

Girls skipping school because they are 'so afraid of gender neutral toilets'
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/girls-skipping-school-because-so-20527035

biko wrote: »
    We need toilets exclusively for girls anyway

Girls skipping school because they are 'so afraid of gender neutral toilets'
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/girls-skipping-school-because-so-20527035

It's disgusting that boys would ridicule girls for having their period! I don't understand how they would know either way though.

A good middle ground could be to have a toilet that's gender neutral in a self contained bathroom for anyone who wanted to use it, like an accessible one and then keep the larger segregated ones that already exist everywhere. This bathroom would also provide a bit more privacy for any girl who's worried others might find out she's menstruating.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

People have watched too much Ally McBeal

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

You know about 10/15. Bluffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

In an adults only environment I can think of a lot of inconveniences

In an environment in which children are present i think its downright dangerous.

Any environment which gives plausible deniability to a sex offender exposing their genitals to a minor of the opposite gender is a terrible idea imho.

Even one incident where a young girl is exposed to a penis is too many in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭ollaetta

From GENTS to GNTS, I guess.

The costs associated with having a male, female, disabled, none of the above in every premises in the country would cost millions.

Nobody asked for that so your point is completely irrelevant

Terry Pratchet

In an adults only environment I can think of a lot of inconveniences

In an environment in which children are present i think its downright dangerous.

Any environment which gives plausible deniability to a sex offender exposing their genitals to a minor of the opposite gender is a terrible idea imho.

Even one incident where a young girl is exposed to a penis is too many in my book.

Cause all trans people are sex offenders of course :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Do they have urinals?

No you cannot. Straight blokes can only wee at home, at the pub or round their mammy's.

Advertisement