Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian government has stripped Kashmir- special autonomy

Options
  • 05-08-2019 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭

The Indian government has stripped Kashmir of the special autonomy it has had for seven decades, prompting a furious response from nuclear-armed rival Pakistan and raising fears of further violence in the Himalayan region.

<snip>

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/0805/1067035-kashmir-india-pakistan/

Watching this for about two weeks now, but only posting this now as this is a new development that potentially could escalate to a full war. Only two days ago Pakistan special forces tried to make an border incursion and five of their soldiers were killed by Indian forces. This is a serious move by India, it effectively has taken over their side with force and ended its special status. Pakistan will not accept this move as its disputed territory and both countries have fought three wars over it.

The heavy troop build up in the region is worrying sign. India troop build up is now at 180,000 troops. They are preparing for war if necessary. We have to watch and see the militants and Pakistan army reaction is to this provocative move? Hope for a good diplomatic solution, because these two countries have nukes and last thing we want to see is a all out war between them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is a worrying development. Considering the longstanding animosities between the two countries we could be looking at armed conflict, but in my opinion unlikely to escalate into nuclear war.

360_postcard_wagah_1130.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

biko wrote: »
    This is a worrying development. Considering the longstanding animosities between the two countries we could be looking at armed conflict, but in my opinion unlikely to escalate into nuclear war.

Yep surprising how little attention it's receiving. India move is very provocative.

I hearing now Pakistan is closing down it airspace to India. Still too early yet to tell if its temporary or permanent, i should know more later..

Permanent closure maybe sign- hostilities are imminent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I hearing now Pakistan is closing down it airspace to India
    I thought that their airspace was closed for the last couple of months!

Is whoever wins that staring competition the country that wins?

My money’s on the man in short sleeves blinking 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Yep surprising how little attention it's receiving. India move is very provocative.

I hearing now Pakistan is closing down it airspace to India. Still too early yet to tell if its temporary or permanent, i should know more later..

Permanent closure maybe sign- hostilities are imminent.

China opposes it too. They have issued a statement.

Don't worry Trump can handle it.

• Advertisement

Pakistan has banned Bollywood films since a while
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47479747
    India and Pakistan have been at loggerheads since 1947, but their shared love of Bollywood has somehow survived through Partition and beyond.

Despite this, Bollywood has all too often found itself the easy target of governments hoping to make a point - most recently following the deadly attack by militants on Indian soldiers in Indian-administered Kashmir, which ended with India launching air strikes against what it said was a militant camp in Pakistan late last month, and Pakistan downing an Indian fighter jet.

For a substantial number of Pakistanis, the pleasure of engaging with Indian entertainment would trump the patriotism of supporting a ban on it.

"I grew up watching Shah Rukh Khan, Aamir Khan and Salman Khan," said Ali Shiwari, an avid cinemagoer who was so inspired by Indian cinema he decided to study film.

"It will take time to find someone like them in the Pakistani industry."

Perhaps more importantly, however, taking it out of the equation could result in economic consequences - for Pakistanis.

"The Indian film industry is crucial for sustaining the Pakistani box office," Rafay Mahmood, a film journalist, points out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Odhinn

<snip>

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/0805/1067035-kashmir-india-pakistan/

Watching this for about two weeks now, but only posting this now as this is a new development that potentially could escalate to a full war. Only two days ago Pakistan special forces tried to make an border incursion and five of their soldiers were killed by Indian forces. This is a serious move by India, it effectively has taken over their side with force and ended its special status. Pakistan will not accept this move as its disputed territory and both countries have fought three wars over it.

The heavy troop build up in the region is worrying sign. India troop build up is now at 180,000 troops. They are preparing for war if necessary. We have to watch and see the militants and Pakistan army reaction is to this provocative move? Hope for a good diplomatic solution, because these two countries have nukes and last thing we want to see is a all out war between them.

Place never should have been given over to india from the get-go. A referendum was what was recommended back in the 40's by the UN but they never had it. Instead it's been repression, abuse and torture and "dissappearnces". One of the worlds more long running abuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Pakistan has announced it will downgrade diplomatic relations and suspend bilateral trade with India after New Delhi stripped the disputed state of Jammu and Kashmir of its special status.

India's High Commissioner will also be removed from the country, Pakistan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement Wednesday. It added that Islamabad will not send its own ambassador to New Delhi.
    The series of announcements came after a National Security Committee meeting on Wednesday, where the office of Pakistan's Prime Minister Imran Khan said that Islamabad would also review bilateral agreements with India and take the issue up with the United Nations and the UN Security Council.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/07/asia/kashmir-pakistan-response-intl-hnk/index.html

For now the Pakistan Media wrongly reported they planned to close their airspace. Again it early days and new developments are likely to happen day by day, week by week.

The worry is insurgents will step up their attacks soon. And we saw last time what happened there. India responded and crossed into Pakistan territory and used military aircraft to bomb sites. Pakistan government under heavy pressure to respond, they also have to worry about a coup in their country if they don't something about this move.

smurfjed wrote: »
    I thought that their airspace was closed for the last couple of months!

Routinely they close now and again to carry out CAPS (Combat air patrols) along the border. More often during heightened tensions. It just temporary and everything goes back to normal in a few hours or 24 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's much ado about nothing like every other war thread over the last 2-3 years.

A bit of huff and puff in a few weeks everything goes back to normal relations

Gatling wrote: »
    It's much ado about nothing like every other war thread over the last 2-3 years.

A bit of huff and puff in a few weeks everything goes back to normal relations

This is current affair news.

The threads i have made personally are about Venezuela, India and Pakistan, North Korea and Iran. All legitimate foreign hotspots to watch. I keep an eye on developments just incase.

Gatling timeline for war is irrelevant. If something did happen- you be one of the first people posting and definately, if the United States involved:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Gatling timeline for war is irrelevant. If something did happen- you be one of the first people posting and definately, if the United States involved

Unfortunately I'm not a sensationalist - so no I wouldn't be opening threads unless it was actually something people had genuine interest in ,

So yeah no war here (again)

Gatling wrote: »
    Unfortunately I'm not a sensationalist - so no I wouldn't be opening threads unless it was actually something people had genuine interest in ,

So yeah no war here (again)

Why you posting in Iran thread then and its thread i never made? You also making postings in Venezuela one and this thread.

There threads opened for everyone to read not necessarily give their opinion.. If people are not reading this thread, i don't get annoyed or upset about it.

Your not sensationalist:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

China now bigly involved.

https://www.india.com/news/world/china-says-india-declaring-ladakh-a-union-territory-is-unacceptable-3738293/

Isn't India-Pakistan recognised as the most likely source of nuclear conflict on the planet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

India is a Hindu country in which Islam does not have a place in just in the same way Islam does not have a place in west it does not have a place in India. I think over 5,000 years of Hindu heritage outweighs 1,000 years of Islam. Pakistan is a terrorist state.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Modi is a div who has been courting toxic Hindu nationalism for years now. It's quite a thing to make the consistent omnishambles that is Pakistan look like a responsible actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Stephen15 wrote: »
    India is a Hindu country in which Islam does not have a place in just in the same way Islam does not have a place in west it does not have a place in India. I think over 5,000 years of Hindu heritage outweighs 1,000 years of Islam. Pakistan is a terrorist state.
    haha:rolleyes: Obvious agenda is obvious

India now plans water offensive on Pakistan.

Hindu-nationalist Modi's move to revoke Jammu and Kashmir autonomy ends its separate constitution and flag, and more substantially, things like the ban on outsiders buying property. Possibly it's also to get traction with Hindu nationalists against the only Muslim majority state in the union.

Modi is just another indication the world is getting more nationalist, and because it's far away the journalists here don't much understand it or write about it.

That's probably why sabre-rattling between two nuclear nations isn't in the general Irish consciousness.

There isn't even a thread in the Politics forum about this, mindblowing

• Advertisement

Alas, not only is Modi butting heads with Khan/Alvi, he's also steeping very close to Jinping, as China also have interests in the region.

Aksai Chin is a disputed territory between India and China.
    India claims the border region as part of Ladakh, while China claims the area as part of the Xinjiang region.
    China also has nuclear capabilities.

aksai-chin-map.png

Hindu-nationalist Modi's move to revoke Jammu and Kashmir autonomy ends its separate constitution and flag, and more substantially, things like the ban on outsiders buying property. Possibly it's also to get traction with Hindu nationalists against the only Muslim majority state in the union.

Modi is just another indication the world is getting more nationalist, and because it's far away the journalists here don't much understand it or write about it.

That's probably why sabre-rattling between two nuclear nations isn't in the general Irish consciousness.

There isn't even a thread in the Politics forum about this, mindblowing

Right now, i don't see the Pakistan military crossing the border to attack India. What going to happen i foresee, they'll sponsor new terrorist attacks against Indian troops to destablise their side of the LOC. This will of course up the ante, India knows Pakistan government involved.

Is Modi eager to end the stalemate once and for all? Yes is the answer, and India is planning a unthinkable war, then nuclear war can't be ruled out. Pakistan will use nuclear weapons to defend itself and avoid defeat. Stage we nowhere yet at thankfully.

I don't think people realise this not something that will just go away on its own- this is highly disputed territory that both countries fought wars over. Calm now with just border skirmishes, but that not going to last forever.

Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan raised the prospect of nuclear war with India while calling for international assistance in a territorial dispute with his larger democratic neighbor.

“My worry is that this can escalate and for two nuclear-armed countries, it should be alarming for the world what we are facing now,” Khan warned.

Khan invoked their respective weapons of mass destruction twice, stoking alarm over the arsenals that make the question of who controls the border region of Kashmir one of the “most dangerous” controversies in the world. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi tightened his government’s control over the Indian-held portion of Kashmir, arguing that the changes would enhance security in an area simmering with terrorism threats, but Khan suggested that New Delhi is preparing a “false-flag operation” to justify a military conflict with his country.

News Yesterday.
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/defense-national-security/pakistan-predicts-indian-false-flag-attack-that-triggers-face-off-with-nuclear-armed-countries

At least the internetters in both Pakistan and India agrees on some things
    The Twitteratti -- both Indians and Pakistanis -- trolled Pakistan's Science and Technology Minister Fawad Hussain Choudhary for his decision to provide internet to people of Kashmir.
    https://www.indiatoday.in/world/story/pakistan-minister-fawad-hussain-choudhary-says-will-provide-internet-in-kashmir-gets-brutally-trolled-1619156-2019-11-15

The Indian government’s lengthy shutdown of the internet and telephones in Jammu and Kashmir inflicts disproportionate harm on the population and should be immediately lifted, Human Rights Watch said today. The disruption to services since August 5, 2019, has exacerbated an information blackout, stopped families from communicating, prevented people from accessing medical services, and disrupted the local economy.
    https://www.hrw.org/news/2019/08/28/india-restore-kashmirs-internet-phones

An interesting timeline about this whole mess
    https://www.axios.com/timeline-india-pakistan-conflict-over-kashmir-d638569d-d476-48e8-a2e3-bd38d403e87b.html

It really started in the 40s
    1947: Britain gives up colonial control of the Indian subcontinent and divides the territory into Hindu-majority India and Muslim-majority Pakistan, sparking one of the largest human migrations in history.

The lockdown hasn't stopped the violence
    Indian government forces have killed four rebels in a gun battle in Indian-administered Kashmir during a stringent lockdown to combat the coronavirus, the Indian army has said.

Rebels, who either fight for independence or merger of the Muslim-majority region with Pakistan, also have not ceased their attacks on government forces and alleged informants. On Sunday, fighters attacked a paramilitary post and killed three soldiers.

The latest violence comes amid near-daily fighting between Pakistani and Indian soldiers along the highly militarised Line of Control (LoC) - the de facto border that divides Kashmir between the two rivals.
    https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/04/india-troops-kill-rebels-kashmir-coronavirus-lockdown-200422094829029.html

As I mentioned last year - China also has interests in the region. They clashed with India (thread here)

China is now courting Pakistan by also object to Article 370 removal (special autonomy to the Himalayan region).
    In recent days, China has demanded in foreign-policy talks with India the revocation of the new legislation creating Ladakh.
    This is a different way of objecting to the revocation of Article 370 as a whole, and the move benefits China on multiple fronts.
    It allows it to strengthen its alliance with Pakistan at very little personal cost. But, perhaps more importantly, it allows Beijing to seek a
    protective cover of sorts for its actions in Xinjiang.

You probably heard of Xinjiang, it's where the Uyghurs are from...

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/06/16/china-kashmir-himalayas-pakistan-conflict/

Pakistan is stepping closer, violating the ceasefire
    A civilian was killed and another injured on Friday as Pakistani troops violated the ceasefire along the Line of Control (LoC) in Kamalkote sector of Jammu and Kashmir, officials said.
    https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/j-k/pakistan-violates-ceasefire-along-loc-civilian-killed-170171

• Advertisement
Advertisement