Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas comet

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I was out looking at it about 10 minutes ago. It is almost dead overhead. A little earlier I happened to be looking out the window when I saw the International Space Station crossing the sky. It'll be passing regularly for the next week or two. Register yourself at Heavens Above, if you have not already done so, and it'll give you very reliable times for its crossing for your area. For those that might not know, it is a very good site with lots of other things of interest to amateur astronomers like ourselves.

www.heavens-above.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Thanks Flukey I think I registered before but it was some time ago. I must check it out. You managed to make out the International Space Station crossing the sky, was it noticably changing position fast? I'll get some times and keep an eye out for it. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Flukey, I was out looking at it about 10 minutes ago. It is almost dead overhead. A little earlier I happened to be looking out the window when I saw the International Space Station crossing the sky. It'll be passing regularly for the next week or two. Register yourself at Heavens Above, if you have not already done so, and it'll give you very reliable times for its crossing for your area. For those that might not know, it is a very good site with lots of other things of interest to amateur astronomers like ourselves.

Flukey! I was out there for last 20 minutes, clear skies during that time despite overcast rainy weather today! I went to pleaides and looked up to the hero's legs. :) Would this sound right ->

I looked to left left of the hero and went three stars up the leg and went in a straight leg across to Rho Persei (the one below Algol).... on the right leg and drew an imaginary straight line. I felt my eyes go along the line, close to the right leg I could make a blurry faint green blur? Is this similar to what you saw? I haven't my binos tonight For some reason, the stars were really bright tonight! The moon waxing crescent was timely sinking. :)

I took this pic out of starry night. Of course ignore the tail....in my dreams :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

The comet just looked a bit of a blur from where I am, but it was definitely it. I knew by the look of it and the location. As for the ISS, it is very easy to recognise. It tracks steadily across the sky, generally from a west to east direction. It is a steady and quite bright light. The times on Heavens Above are very good. I've used it before to pinpoint the time and it is always right. You'll have plenty of opportunity to see it for the next while. You'll know it when you see it.

During the year, not long after sunset as it is darkening you'll often see satellites. In summer, as the sun is not so far below the horizon, you'll see more of them. I've sometimes seen several over the course of 5 or 10 minutes then. You'll know them by the way they move, slow and steady and no flashing like planes. If you are ever looking up and you see something like that moving, it is generally a satellite. Another giveaway is the way they will suddenly vanish as they stop reflecting the sunlight towards you.

Advertisement