Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

Thanks for your help.

Appointment made for Wednesday. 3 days wait and 83 yoyo's to get sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭butrasgali

I'm due to go to America in 4 weeks.with my wife and 2 kids...got my esta Visas sorted and just discovered that the date of birth is wrong on my daughters passport..(wrong month)we have flown 3 times with this in Europe...with the esta visas approved ..will I be ok
    Regards b

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

I really, REALLY wouldn't take a chance with this.

If it turns out to be an issue you could be turned away at Dublin airport. That's your entire holiday ruined.

You still have time if you get on top of this now.

butrasgali wrote: »
    I'm due to go to America in 4 weeks.with my wife and 2 kids...got my esta Visas sorted and just discovered that the date of birth is wrong on my daughters passport..(wrong month)we have flown 3 times with this in Europe...with the esta visas approved ..will I be ok
    Regards b

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

1) How in god's name did that happen in the first place and how are you only noticing now???

2) Everything on the ESTA needs to match the passport. Get a new ESTA with the same DOB on it as the passport.

3) An ESTA isn't a visa.

Sort the passport out when you get home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I wouldn't risk rocking up to pre clearance for the states with this. They take information issues like thismoinda seriously.

It would be great if that would do the job..new esta.and sort passport out later ...

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Recliner

Original documents only!

Filled out the form today, got all the Garda bits done, old passport and marriage cert. And put it in an envelope and stuck it in the postbox. And now my husband tells me you can't send an application by normal post, it has to be through the post office. Is he right? I'm literally having a nervous breakdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

He is correct.

They only accept mailed applications via passport express in the post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sam Wang

That’s correct. As per DFA website,
    Passport Express service, is the only acceptable postal method for submitting your passport application.

Why on earth would you want to put all original documents in a normal envelope? It should at least be registered mail even if you don’t know about the passport express.

Also why not using online renewal? It’s cheaper and quicker and you don’t even need to go to the Garda station. I literally finished my application in under 10 minutes on Friday.

What you can do now:

Post boxes normally have a collection time displayed on them. You can wait there before that time and ask the postman to return that letter to you. That’s apparently the safest option.

Alternatively, wait for a few days and then call the passport office or use the online chat to see whether they have received your application. If they do, at least they can send it back to you and you can do them the proper way. I hope you recorded your application number at the very least.
    Recliner wrote: »
    Original documents only!

Filled out the form today, got all the Garda bits done, old passport and marriage cert. And put it in an envelope and stuck it in the postbox. And now my husband tells me you can't send an application by normal post, it has to be through the post office. Is he right? I'm literally having a nervous breakdown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

She is doing a change of name which cannot be done online. :(

You still can apply for it online. As part of that, there will be instructions as to how to send your documents over.

Good luck then. I’d definitely try to get it back before the postman takes them from the post box. They are too valuable and too risky to be sent without a tracking number.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Recliner

Can't get them back from the post box. Had a quick look on the dfa site which, yes, I should have done at the start. They'll return the application to me, so it's fine.

is there a phone line that i can ring for passport enquires?

is there a phone line that i can ring for passport enquires?
    https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/contact-us/

I personally think phone calls are more efficient than web chats, although both are very difficult to get to depending on the time of the day.

Not a hope getting through to the passport office or live chat..just going to cancel and do new esta and put the matching date from the passport on it so both will be the same....travel agents have said this will be ok..as well as above..🀞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Your child may get into the US this time, bit never will again if you do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Your child may get into the US this time, bit never will again if you do that.

I'd be very wary of giving false info on the ESTA also. Are you anywhere near a passport office, that you could call in to?

Hope you get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Not a hope getting through to the passport office or live chat..just going to cancel and do new esta and put the matching date from the passport on it so both will be the same....travel agents have said this will be ok..as well as above..🀞

They will reject the ESTA if you change the date of birth of one person but keep the rest the same. You need to sort out the passport not try to scam the ESTA.

Sam Wang wrote: »
    https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/contact-us/

I personally think phone calls are more efficient than web chats, although both are very difficult to get to depending on the time of the day.

Managed to get through thanks, took an age..

• Advertisement

Not sure what you mean.. I've just cancelled the old one and re done a new esta..just pending now..the facility is there to make changes and cancelled previous estas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Not sure what you mean.. I've just cancelled the old one and re done a new esta..just pending now..the facility is there to make changes and cancelled previous estas.

That's a really bad idea, making a false declaration on the ESTA could land you in jail and banned from visiting the states. Fix the passport instead.

That's a really bad idea, making a false declaration on the ESTA could land you in jail and banned from visiting the states. Fix the passport instead.

He seems intent on asking for help, completely ignoring the advice he's given and doing what he wants. I think it's best just to let him off and learn the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

If the passport office made a mistake by putting the wrong date of birth, they would issue you a new one fairly fast, I wouldn’t be changing the ESTA, as they are very strict, I’d be sorting out the passport, your going to need to do it anyway.
    How did you not figure it out before now though, with checking into flights ect?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

He seems intent on asking for help, completely ignoring the advice he's given and doing what he wants. I think it's best just to let him off and learn the hard way.

That’s a bit unfair. He’s probably a bit flustered by this and is getting some conflicting advice. I can understand why he’s done what he has done, even if I would disagree with it.

dudara wrote: »
    That’s a bit unfair. He’s probably a bit flustered by this and is getting some conflicting advice. I can understand why he’s done what he has done, even if I would disagree with it.

All the advice is the same from what I can see, i.e. get a new passport.

Lads your 100percent correct..my advice is coming from the travel agents..I'm on the passport case now..

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭hello2020

you have enough time get the new passport.. has happened to me that pp came with wrong dates and they issued the new ones within a week..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Noticed this on my child's a few weeks ago. Sent it to passport office and had the new one within 3 days

• Advertisement

Sam Wang wrote: »
    May I ask if the Irish passport card is acceptable for renting a car within EU/EEA? Or does it have to be the passport book?

I know most car rental companies only require a driving licence anyway, but I just don’t want to risk being turned down in case someone doesn’t accept the passport card as a valid ID?

Just got an official response from Enterprise-rent-a-car in Finland:
    I can immediately confirm that per the HEL policies, “Besides the driver's license, renters from countries other than Finland will need to present a valid passport at the rental counter as proof of identity.”

Advertisement