Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drum set for a beginner

Options
  • 07-02-2018 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

Is  this a good drum set for a beginner . A reasonable price for what it is?
    And is  this ok with it
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Mick Shrimpton

It's not great to be honest. Hayman don't make nice budget kits, even for beginners. Best thing you can do is stick to the bigger brands, and buy their budget line.

This Pearl from Thomann has everything you need. It's a bit more, but it will be far far better, and will be much easier to sell in the future if you wanted to.

https://www.thomann.de/ie/pearl_roadshow_fusion_bronze_b_stock.htm

As for a metronome, the free apps for your phone will be just fine starting out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

It's not great to be honest. Hayman don't make nice budget kits, even for beginners. Best thing you can do is stick to the bigger brands, and buy their budget line.

This Pearl from Thomann has everything you need. It's a bit more, but it will be far far better, and will be much easier to sell in the future if you wanted to.

https://www.thomann.de/ie/pearl_roadshow_fusion_bronze_b_stock.htm

As for a metronome, the free apps for your phone will be just fine starting out.
    Thanks. The Hayman said
    Cymbal Starter Pack:
    14" & 16" Quality Hammered Cymbals (these cymbals are way beyond what you would expect to see on an entry level kit)

Is the Pearl still better

Both sets will have beginners cymbals - they'll be fine but nothing special - perfect for a beginner. Even if the Hayman has marginally better cymbals, everything else about the pearl will be superior - the shells, the hardware, pedals, heads, stool, everything! And the pearl comes with sticks and stickbag which is a nice extra.

The Hayman kit looks nice in the pics, but there's no comparison.

Hayman made amazing kits in the 60's and 70's, but that kit there is just crap from china with the Hayman logo - nothing like the old kits. Pearl are a tried and trusted brand. I don't play Pearl right now, but I started on them myself, and have had plenty of students who had them as their first kit, and they are great.

Yamaha make good starter kits too. And gretsch, but the Pearl was the first I found with everything you'd need.

OK is pearl available in Ireland.

dot ie forward slash ie - is that ireland?

• Advertisement

I've just seen Xmusic have the same kit for a few quid more, based in Ballymount https://www.xmusic.ie/PEARL-ROADSHOW-KIT-BRONZE-METALLIC-KIT.html

That kit I originally linked has free shipping to Ireland though. Should take about 4 working days. Thomann are a good company to deal with, based in Germany. It is 'B-stock' though, which is usually fine, but maybe for an extra 20 quid, I'd buy Irish.

@ Mick Shrimpton
    ok thanks for the help

@ Mick Shrimpton Could you practise in a semi D situation without upsetting the neighbours. Or would it be beter to get an electronic set?

Drums are pretty loud, there’s no getting away from that. You can buy pads to put over the drums and cymbals, but that’s more expense again. If you’re in the far side of the house, and you have understanding neighbors, it should be fine.

An electronic kit is far quieter, but still not completely silent, especially if it’s upstairs... it can be very loud if you’re directly under it.

A garage or shed is ideal... But I grew up in a mid terraced small house and played a full kit in an upstairs bedroom and thankfully my neighbors were cool with it (or were too polite to say anything). I only played between 11am - 8pm as a rule.

Do the pads to lessen noise interfere with playing or learning? Is the players learning experience the same

The expense of them is OK

• Advertisement

Yeah, I found they do interfere. It changes how the drums respond. If you’re gonna have them on the kit the whole time, you’re better off just getting an electronic kit. But if it’s only occasionally, you’d be grand.

In fairness, electronic kits are great craic if you have a decent one. 500 would get you a good 2nd hand Roland. I have one for practice, and while it’s not the same as an acoustic kit, it has a lot of advantages. Just be aware it’s not silent, but a lot quieter.

Decent one here but you’d have to buy pedal & stool
    http://www.adverts.ie/14471717

@ Mick Shrimpton

http://promusica.ie/pearl-roadshow-drum-kit-rs505c-c707-bronze-mist-metallic

is this as good as the one you linked above. slightly different model . Cork is nearer for me

Noted comments re electronic. Thanks

Yep, that's perfect

@ Mick Shrimpton

Still not got a chance to get the drums hope to move soon. I am a bit confused about tuning http://pearldrum.com/media/education/basic-snare-drum-tuning.pdf

I am not very musical and not sure about 'pitch' for tuning. I can read the drum notes though. What will i need to know to tune them? Hoping to purchase soon

Thanks for your help,much appreciated

ok got my drums and got someone to tune them

ok got my drums and got someone to tune them

Fair play!

What did you go for in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Fair play!

What did you go for in the end?
    Roadshow. i am closing my account here. Thanks for your help